OB-6 features possible on the Prophet-6?

LeVo

Re: OB-6 features possible on the Prophet-6?
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 10:16:53 AM »
^ I'm glad it's more of a luxury than a necessity to have both tbh. This update has tweaked a few nice features into the mix and added a few unexpected treats from OB6.... I do actually lust for the OB6 less now (for the time being) because they where fairly similar before but having the fx additions takes em even closer. I'm happy as a pig in shit and no I made the right decision with the p6 being my main board.  8)

Thinking a p6 and ob6 module with a roli seaboard for the future win :) :)

I'd love the transpose latch feature but it's not something they ever said they'd do afaik and you just said yourself it's not necessarily possible so it's hardly an oversight. 

It's a good day . x

They had it on the old Ploy Sequencer. In fact you could store up to 6 different sequences as well. Are you meaning to tell me that a device in the 1980s has more capability than a device in 2015? I'd say that's an oversight.

that's awesome!! I wish they still made that model so we could choose what features we preferred between the different machines.... Alas it's not 1980 and more to the point im not telling you anything, aside from enjoy the new features. I'm pretty blown away by the free extras I just received. I was quite happy without them but they also helped settle some gas. It's a Win Win.  ;)

dslsynth

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 02:37:04 PM »
Anyone knows if the sound version was updated for the Prophet-6 program format because of the added effects?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 02:39:31 PM »
Anyone knows if the sound version was updated for the Prophet-6 program format because of the added effects?

I'm not really sure what you mean by "sound version."

dslsynth

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 02:46:26 PM »
I'm not really sure what you mean by "sound version."

From at least Prophet 12 and on the program format have had a version number in it and in case of Prophet 12 there are incompatible differences requiring actions from anyone decoding these formats. As more effects are added to the Prophet-6 the question is if this sound version number was incremented because of the updates. Strictly speaking this question is mostly for DSI as they currently are the only ones with this knowledge.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 03:01:17 PM »
Ah, I see. The truly nerdy stuff.  ;D

LeVo

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 02:10:13 AM »
The new fx are making me real happy.... ;)

There was a few changes in the pulled back update I noticed that aren't in this one. (Mainly noting about voices coming in quieter or something?!) obviously there where issues with it but I guess there's more to come before the next official OS.

Think I'm more happy that DSI seem to be aiming to keep p6 and ob6 on a level pegging which surely means there gonna get similar love. Competition is healthy after all. :) im still surprised they shared these fx tbh.

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 10:29:17 PM »
The new digital flanger effects available in the 1.2.8 update actually sound very "Oberheim"  :)

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 10:35:29 PM »
The new digital flanger effects available in the 1.2.8 update actually sound very "Oberheim"  :)

Indeed. Flanger 2 can also be used to emulate subtle detuning effects without actually sounding like a flanger. Kind of as if you would modulate the oscillators frequency with an LFO.

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 06:25:59 AM »
Indeed. Flanger 2 can also be used to emulate subtle detuning effects without actually sounding like a flanger. Kind of as if you would modulate the oscillators frequency with an LFO.
Yes! That's what I use the less resonant phaser and flanger effects for, much of the time. I think the effects are quite a key part of P-6 sound design. I can understand why some purists might wish to bypass them but they add a lot to the sonic versatility of the P-6. Helps that they are good quality and more than capable of being used subtly too.

Sacred Synthesis

Re: OB
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 08:24:35 AM »
Yes! That's what I use the less resonant phaser and flanger effects for, much of the time. I think the effects are quite a key part of P-6 sound design. I can understand why some purists might wish to bypass them but they add a lot to the sonic versatility of the P-6. Helps that they are good quality and more than capable of being used subtly too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Fuseball, but it sounds like you're starting to come around on the Prophe-6.  You earlier had some stiff criticisms of it, but it seems like you're starting to like it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:00:37 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2016, 05:00:07 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, Fuseball, but it sounds like you're starting come around on the Prophe-6.  You earlier had some stiff criticisms of it, but it seems like you're starting to like it.
You are indeed correct. It took me a while to unlearn my old DSI way of working and programming sounds. For a while I was getting hung up on the limitations and not seeing creative ways past them. Realising that the effects, particularly when used subtly, are a valid part of synthesis and sound creation really opened the Prophet-6 up for me.

I have to say that the latest OS update has made a big difference. The use of the red dot to show saved parameter values satisfies the peculiarly OCD part of me that misses the P'08 display. It's rapidly becoming my go-to synth for inspiration now.

SepticUnderground

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 06:39:27 AM »
I absolutly love phaser 3 in the new P6 OS! such a creamy one, kudos for team DSI for including this and other stuff to the efx section!!! #lostinspace

GBP

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 11:55:05 AM »
I absolutly love phaser 3 in the new P6 OS!

Me too. Great thing!
(Don't know how to use the Ring-Modulation yet.)

Novem

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2016, 10:15:03 PM »
I posted in the OB section about the analog distortion being located in the Fx section, instead of having a separate button like the Prophet 6. It made me wonder if DSI could port the girth and air FX from the character section of the Pro 2?