OB-6 features possible on the Prophet-6?

OB-6 features possible on the Prophet-6?
« on: March 04, 2016, 03:46:11 AM »
Now that the OB-6 manual is out there it's easier to see how the OB-6 differs in functionality to the Prophet-6.  I'm wondering which aspects of the OB-6 functionality and firmware might be portable to the Prophet-6 at some time.  Obviously, anything related directly to the voice cards is not possible and out of the question.

1. Program selection with the Increment/Decrement buttons to step forward and backwards. (Pretty sure this is done and was in the pulled firmware update)

2. Unison voicing with pan spread to place odd-numbered voice centrally.

3. Unison voicing slop (detune) to detune voices from each other separate to slop, so you can keep slop stable (or off) but have a wide detuning of multiple unison voices.

4. New effects: Flanger 1, Flanger 2, Phase Shifter 3, Ring Modulator. I can understand that perhaps the two Tom Oberheim specific effects (Phase Shifter 3 and Ring Modulator) might want to be kept unique to the OB-6 but I would love to see the two Flangers make it to the P-6.

5. LFO to PW1 or PW2 (or both). Not sure there's an intuitive way to do it from the UI but perhaps hold down the PW 1+2 button and select from PW1, PW2 and 1+2 using Increment/Decrement. Similar to the way Key Mode or Unison voices is set.

Anything else I've missed?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:48:17 AM by Fuseball »

Sacred Synthesis

Re: OB-6 features possible on the Prophet-6?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 05:57:03 AM »
I would guess that it would not be to the advantage of DSI's business to make the Prophet 6 and the OB-6 any more similar to each other than they already are.  Folks right from the beginning have been trying to come up with reasons to buy both.  If too many of the features of one are shared with the other, I'd say carrying both will become redundant.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 07:28:20 AM »
I would have said the same thing but a couple of the new features look more like refinements of existing P-6 functionality to me.  Certainly the unison tweaks are correcting some slightly odd behaviour of stacked voice unison sounds.  As it is, unison detune isn't that useful on the P-6 as it makes the voices very sloppy if you try to add any width, rather than the pleasing chorused effect of a stable detuned unison sound.

Personally, I think the SEM voicing is the one overwhelming reason to get an OB-6.  The rest of the functionality (excluding the new effect models) is so close to a P-6 as to be an identical feature set.  Both the stacked unison changes and PWM routing could be seen as oversights in the P-6 design that are being corrected in the OB-6.  ;)

Of course, I'm thinking out loud here. Just speculating what might or might not be possible. Certainly not expecting anything (other than the program selection increment/decrement).

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 07:56:52 AM »
Yeah, I can understand your explanation; it makes sense.  I only mean that these two instruments share enough in common as to make it surprising that DSI would sell both simultaneously.  For those who are not already SEM fans, the two spec sheets sure do seem redundant.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 09:00:16 AM »
I can only assume that it's the business success of the Prophet-6 that has given them the confidence to go with such a similar instrument in terms of specs.  I imagine the OB-6 is a relatively easy win in terms of R&D and I'm sure it helps that the P-6 is such a stable platform with very few bugs. Of course, it's also great that Dave and Tom get to build something together.

Given Dave's recent track record of designing things, it wouldn't shock me if he's been working on something else in the background too, particularly if the R&D for the OB-6 was straightforward.  I get the feeling he likes inventing stuff too much to sit still for long.

I must admit that I like the SEM sound a great deal.  It's a gorgeous filter.  However, I'm not in a position to spend that amount of money on another synth for a while.  I also know that I'll want more modulation than is on offer, given the interesting places it can be routed to.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 09:27:07 AM »
Dave has said as much, that they are working on something for some time now.  He said they generally have several projects going at the same time.  I'd say he's still good for some more surprises. 

dslsynth

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 02:13:01 PM »
I would not be too surprised if that longer term project that Dave have mentioned in recent interviews is a drum machine collaboration with Roger Linn and their next eurorack module would be a preset/modulation manager based on the Pro 2 voice. But of cause its just pure speculation!

As for the OB-6 fingers are crossed for a two or four voice SEM based voice with more modulations and layers with stack/split. I am sure people will love DSI for such an instrument.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 02:26:41 PM »
I think a cool idea for a next product is making a Sequential mothership that integrates everything DSI has done so far in one instrument.  Maybe a 10 or 12 voice, 61-key (88 would be nice) all-analog behemoth with switchable filter set (SEM, Curtis, Moog soundalike, Steiner-Parker, etc.) and more modulation capabilities without still any menu diving and a couple more oscillators would be nice.  Perhaps add an improved arpeggiator/sequencer like that of the Pro2 but better.  And add a piece of the Tempest integrated into the board for immediate drum tracks on the fly.  Charge me $5000, I'll buy it.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 01:28:40 PM by jmananquil »
Moog Voyager, Prophet 6, OB-6 Desktop, Korg MicroKorg-S, Toraiz SP-16 and AS-1.

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 05:16:51 PM »
Charge me $5000, I'll buy it.

That's very optimistic of you.

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 02:03:53 AM »
I don't think Dave is totally convinced about Euro, he mentioned in a video that he likes storing patches. Given that was the advantage of his first synth it's not unexpected.

What's next? I don't know. The smaller modules (Mopho, Tetra) have disappeared and maybe something around that price bracket will appear?

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 10:01:54 PM »
Feature: OB6 FX added - 2 Flangers, Ring mod, and 1 additional phaser model

YESSSSSSS !   :) :) :)

LA

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 01:53:01 AM »
What a great and unexpected addition. Gotta say I'm delighted about the dot to show the saved pot value too. :)

LeVo

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 02:12:36 AM »
Wasn't expecting this. So happy to see the fx and the red dot thing is wicked. Have missed not being able to see values at times so the dot is a killer add. Thanks a lot. x

LeVo

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 02:40:06 AM »
Sequencer backspace too !!   8)

LoboLives

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 03:37:19 AM »
The one oversight they didn't correct on the Prophet 6 was that they didn't include a transpose button for the sequencer that you could either have turned off and play over top of the sequence or turned on and transpose on the fly with one hand as opposed to having to hold down the record button. I mentioned this to DSI a few times and they said that the only way to do this for any of their models would be a Prophet 12 and create a custom arpeggiation...but again it wouldn't be a sequence.

I'm still not convinced about the OB-6. The sound is phenomenal but it just kind of seems redundant to get both the OB-6 and Prophet 6. Why didn't they go for more voices or at least try and make it different than the Prophet 6 in terms of features?

LeVo

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 06:04:03 AM »
^ I'm glad it's more of a luxury than a necessity to have both tbh. This update has tweaked a few nice features into the mix and added a few unexpected treats from OB6.... I do actually lust for the OB6 less now (for the time being) because they where fairly similar before but having the fx additions takes em even closer. I'm happy as a pig in shit and no I made the right decision with the p6 being my main board.  8)

Thinking a p6 and ob6 module with a roli seaboard for the future win :) :)

I'd love the transpose latch feature but it's not something they ever said they'd do afaik and you just said yourself it's not necessarily possible so it's hardly an oversight. 

It's a good day . x
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:08:05 AM by LeVo »

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 06:10:50 AM »
Loving the new FX. I can already tell that I'll be using Phaser 3 a lot and Ring Mod gets some seriously wild sounds flying out of this thing.  The red dot is such a simple thing but exactly what I needed when tweaking sounds.  Many thanks to all who've worked on this update.

LeVo

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 08:01:25 AM »
^ so happy. The new fx sound amazing !!

Did anyone else's update stop at 1? Mine didn't auto restart but all seems well after power cycling....

(EDIT.... Jus seen the other thread about stopping at 1)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:18:20 AM by LeVo »

LoboLives

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 09:38:37 AM »
^ I'm glad it's more of a luxury than a necessity to have both tbh. This update has tweaked a few nice features into the mix and added a few unexpected treats from OB6.... I do actually lust for the OB6 less now (for the time being) because they where fairly similar before but having the fx additions takes em even closer. I'm happy as a pig in shit and no I made the right decision with the p6 being my main board.  8)

Thinking a p6 and ob6 module with a roli seaboard for the future win :) :)

I'd love the transpose latch feature but it's not something they ever said they'd do afaik and you just said yourself it's not necessarily possible so it's hardly an oversight. 

It's a good day . x

They had it on the old Ploy Sequencer. In fact you could store up to 6 different sequences as well. Are you meaning to tell me that a device in the 1980s has more capability than a device in 2015? I'd say that's an oversight.