Help with Prophet-6 output cables (1/4" → XLR)

Help with Prophet-6 output cables (1/4" → XLR)
« on: June 05, 2019, 10:31:11 AM »
Hi there,

I have a new Prophet-6 module and the manual instructs to use for output: "Unbalanced, 1⁄4 inch audio outputs."

I would like to connect the P6 to my audio interface (Babyface Pro) which has two XLR Female inputs available – but I'm a little uncertain on what cables I can use; unfortunately I'm not so technical to be honest.

Should I use 2x 1/4" mono cables on the P6 end, and 2x XLR Male (3-pol) plugs on the other end [2x because of separate L/R outputs of the P6]?

I'm wondering, because aren't XLR Male (3-pol) plugs actually balanced – thereby going counter to the instruction to use something "unbalanced"? Or does that only matter on the P6 end of the cables?

Is there a better solution, like using two 1/4" mono cables that converge into one XLR cable (which would be unbalanced)? Just curious – since I'm doubting that it's the right way (again, I don't have the technical expertise).

Secondly, how do I know if a 1/4" cable/plug is unbalanced or not?

Re: Help with Prophet-6 output cables (1/4" → XLR)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 07:14:29 AM »
What I do with my keyboards is to run unbalanced 1/4” cables to a stereo DI box and then balanced XLRs from there to my mixer. Works fine.
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 06:00:50 AM »
What I do with my keyboards is to run unbalanced 1/4” cables to a stereo DI box and then balanced XLRs from there to my mixer. Works fine.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you use two separate balanced XLR cables for L and R to your mixer?

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 07:48:44 AM »
Yes. Two 1/4” unbalanced from the Prophet to the DI and two balanced XLRs from the DI to the mixer.
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.