"Sequential" Prophet Rev2??

Sacred Synthesis

Re: "Sequential" Prophet Rev2??
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 11:11:35 AM »
Yes, the old Prophet '08 font was artful and almost calligraphic, yet perfectly legible.  I still love the sight of it.  I find the Rev2 font to be nerdy and bland - appropriate for an electronic appliance.  I wish they had carried the older lettering over to the new instrument.  It only seems logical if one is a REVision of the other.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 01:15:03 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 01:05:41 PM »
the Prophet 5 and Prophet 6 have both lettering types on them:

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 09:49:37 AM »
Cool the DSI is now collector  :)

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 03:46:24 AM »
FYI: A music store here in Melbourne Australia has an OB6 keyboard with the Sequential logo on the back where the Dave Smith logo usually resides. I double checked and yes it was screen printed on metal and no it wasn't a sticker or overlay.

ddp

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 07:42:40 PM »
The Prophet 5 was much prettier with all that extra wood.  ;-)
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

LoboLives

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2019, 09:12:12 PM »
The Prophet 5 was much prettier with all that extra wood.  ;-)

I was thinking of doing a custom strip of wood on my Prophet 6 just above the keybed like the P5 but I don’t think I can get the Prophet 6 emblem off without severely damaging the synth.

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2019, 12:16:12 PM »
Just got new “SEQUENTIAL” REV2. Traded up from the 08. I must admit I agree with Sacred Synthesis, I think the P08 looks more classy. Where they put the logo looks haphazard like it shouldn’t be there. Sometimes I think I should have just kept my work horse Prophet 08 and bought a good effects unit for it. Of course the REV2 has many other cool features the 08 doesn’t have though...   :-\

OceanMachine

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2019, 12:41:34 PM »
 ??? overlay=tacky   

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2019, 12:54:21 PM »
Now, i am sure that this makes you able to hear the new "placebo oscillators" i was told they develloped for just this version... You absolutely have to sell your DSI version to get this improvement!
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2019, 03:42:33 PM »
Now, i am sure that this makes you able to hear the new "placebo oscillators" i was told they develloped for just this version... You absolutely have to sell your DSI version to get this improvement!

That's actually very funny. 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2019, 03:44:01 PM »
Just got new “SEQUENTIAL” REV2. Traded up from the 08. I must admit I agree with Sacred Synthesis, I think the P08 looks more classy. Where they put the logo looks haphazard like it shouldn’t be there. Sometimes I think I should have just kept my work horse Prophet 08 and bought a good effects unit for it. Of course the REV2 has many other cool features the 08 doesn’t have though...   :-\

You've got two thoughts running together - appearance and sound.  We agree on the first, but tell me about the second.

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2019, 10:56:15 AM »
Top reasons to pull the trigger and upgrade from P08 to Rev2:

1. The 16-voices really makes a difference when stacking patches and playing any sort of strings, brass, pads or other patches with longer release times.  I use stacks all the time, and for three different scenarios: 
a. Classic bi-timbral (distinct sound on each layer) mixes.   
b. Stereo binaural sound design where each layer is virtually identical, but hard panned L/R, sometimes with pan modulation...  Similar to Poly Evolver type stereo fields.
c. Extended single layers via stack - Again, with virtually identical envelopes and filter sections, but now access to four core oscillators, plus two subs..  if you want to model Moog type of leads/basses with three oscillators, SE 4-osc stacks, or just other type of sounds where you have direct control of four oscillators and two subs. 

2. The other major difference (for me) is the amount of mod slots.   If doing more complex sound design stuff, having eight mod slots instead of four is huge.   95% of the patches I've designed use more than four mod slots... for dynamic performance modulation - like velocity response to various envelopes, pressure response to vibrato or filter characteristics, and I build in per-voice-modeling on virtually all patches - which really creates more of an organic feel of classic poly synth type sounds and analog acoustic ensembles. 

3. And the built in effects are really nice to have too.   There are some effects that I tend to run externally (notably delay, reverb), but I will often use built in effects as well.   They sound great, and you can directly modulate parameters of them...  I really like having them tied in with the patches, without requiring extensive MIDI programming for switching or modulation.

I definitely recommend the upgrade from P08 to Rev2.   They're both very similar of course, but the Rev2 improvements are important ones, especially if doing more complex sound design, or using stacks for binaural stereo or other reasons. The only thing that might prevent me from upgrading right now is just waiting to see what the next release from SEQ is.   
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 10:58:12 AM by creativespiral »

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral