So the PRO 2 has been discontinued?

ARNK

• Audio wishes from planet Mars / MEME DespiZer
    • Returning to Zero
The greater the humiliation, the greater the rate of evaporation of that feeling and all subsequent dispositions. Make a comfortable world not a hot one.

ARNK

• Returning to Zero
Re: So the PRO 2 has been discontinued?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 09:31:47 PM »
Oh.Word
The greater the humiliation, the greater the rate of evaporation of that feeling and all subsequent dispositions. Make a comfortable world not a hot one.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 12:23:35 AM »
Best wishes for your retirement, little one.  You've earned it!

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 03:09:28 AM »
Cheers!

ARNK

• Returning to Zero
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 11:22:13 AM »
All good things must evolve, you can keep the Tequila — very nice image nonetheless.

ARNK

• Returning to Zero
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 11:24:32 AM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 06:51:59 PM »
I'm sad to see the Pro 2 go.  It seems that individual instruments need to be around for about eight years before I can get them into my set up!  They come and go far too quickly.  As you scour the synthesizer world for instruments, you often come back to the older ones with a greater appreciation.  But then they're suddenly discontinued.  This has happened multiple times.  It's very frustrating.

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 07:58:20 PM »
I'm sad to see the Pro 2 go.

Me too.  I kept eyeing it and wondering how I'd make space for it, but it really did seem like the perfect centerpiece to tie a modular system together.  I may yet track down a used one if something new doesn't come along to fill that particular gap.

I tend to try to wring as much as I can from a given synth, perhaps to excess from some points of view.  I recently went 20 years between synth purchases!  It was something of an anomaly, admittedly, between getting really invested in a non-musical career, buying a piano and a few guitars, and having an absurdly deep synth to keep exploring when I had the time.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 09:31:57 PM »
and having an absurdly deep synth to keep exploring when I had the time.

I may be the last person not to know, but...what was that "absurdly deep" synthesizer?  An instrument that can satisfy for 20 years sounds like a happy prescription.   
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:34:16 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 10:47:13 PM »
and having an absurdly deep synth to keep exploring when I had the time.

I may be the last person not to know, but...what was that "absurdly deep" synthesizer?  An instrument that can satisfy for 20 years sounds like a happy prescription.

It was my beloved Kurzweil K2500XS, which was eventually damaged in a move two years ago and subsequently replaced with their modern Forte.  I'm sure it helped that I didn't have nearly as much time to spend focused on it as I'd have liked so every hour was special, and it doesn't hurt that I'm not allergic to digital synthesis the way many seem to be these days.  Of course I'm also something of a technophile at heart ... but VAST really lives up to its name, and KDFX is still the most flexible integrated effects system I've ever had the fortune to spend time with.

What it wasn't is particularly approachable or immediately gratifying.  That's what I've loved about getting to know Dave Smith's modern work: his evident focus on making an instrument you can reach out and engage with on a more intuitive level.  I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the Prophet X and I'm eager to see which of his designs draws me in next.  If all else fails I'll pick up a Pro 2 from someone foolish enough to let it go, and start down the modular rabbit hole. ;)

Catfax

• Synths are good
    • catfax
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 05:54:15 PM »
My favorite synth sad to see it go.. nice to see some quite cheap ones used around, honestly thinking of grabbing one as a back up. I hope it will see a few more software updates but I won't hold my breath an option for local keys off but keep the rest of the control on would have been great for me personally.

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 09:40:38 PM »
I think time will treat the Pro 2 well.  I have never regretted my purchase.  The only "problem" is that the synth is so deep, that it's beyond the programming capabilities of many.  At the same time, this depth will make the synth a very collectible classic. 

Anyone in the market, Pro Audio Star is blowing them out at $1349.   https://reverb.com/item/359147-dave-smith-pro-2
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

MX

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 12:49:11 AM »
I've update my PRO2 OS to the latest beta, and got some bugs (i.e.: the modulation matrix sometime hangs...) Question is:
will it ever be released a stable OS version?

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 06:17:25 AM »
I have never had the OS substantially affect my ability to use the Pro 2.  There may be bugs, but it seems pretty stable to me.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 09:31:17 PM »
My pro2 has latest os and no playability issues for me.  I hope with this being discontinued that updates still occur.