How do you approach a live performance on the Tempest?

How do you approach a live performance on the Tempest?
« on: May 16, 2019, 07:38:39 PM »
There are plenty of hardware configurations, but speaking specifically about using the Tempest to play a live set alone, perhaps with an outboard fx generator, but otherwise I'm asking about playing a techno set using just the Tempest.

I'm on about week 4 with my Tempest and I'm loving it. I'm trying to decide how I want to use it live, so I have some questions:

- Under this framework, how would you approach playing a one hour live set?
- How do you move from one musical idea to another on the Tempest?
- Is one beat sufficient for a whole techno song or are you going to use "beat per major section" and jam from there?
- How do you manage playing an hour's worth of music when the project can only store 16 beats?
- Would you likely load new projects mid-set or is that entirely unnecessary because you could do the whole set with one pattern, yakity yak yak etc..

My intuition is that having a project contain only 16 beats is meant to make me work differently, and I have to some extent. I'm wondering if asking will lead to helpful insight into the architecture. Also, the demo songs are totally doing the "beat per part" thing, which means new project every one or two songs.

Thanks in advance.

Re: How do you approach a live performance on the Tempest?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 02:52:15 AM »
There are plenty of hardware configurations, but speaking specifically about using the Tempest to play a live set alone, perhaps with an outboard fx generator, but otherwise I'm asking about playing a techno set using just the Tempest.

I'm on about week 4 with my Tempest and I'm loving it. I'm trying to decide how I want to use it live, so I have some questions:

- Is one beat sufficient for a whole techno song or are you going to use "beat per major section" and jam from there?
- How do you manage playing an hour's worth of music when the project can only store 16 beats?
- Would you likely load new projects mid-set or is that entirely unnecessary because you could do the whole set with one pattern, yakity yak yak etc..

My intuition is that having a project contain only 16 beats is meant to make me work differently, and I have to some extent. I'm wondering if asking will lead to helpful insight into the architecture. Also, the demo songs are totally doing the "beat per part" thing, which means new project every one or two songs.

Thanks in advance.
Looks like you have thought through most of the problems/limitations. You can get quite a lot from one or two beats by getting busy with the mutes. The loading projects via sysex is not ideal but if you have something else to cover the gaps it can work. The safest way to get through is to use a playlist and jam along. Or you are making it up as you go along and hope you don't make mistakes. My approach is to let the Tempest do the heavy lifting while I relax and enjoy the moment.

A set with just the tempest is quite challenging. Some other weapons would make it easier and more fun. A laptop feeding the Tempest with MIDI clock works well. A multi-channel audio interface would allow you to use real-time effects too.

KoSv

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 05:14:55 AM »

using only the tempest?
well everything is possible, but you'll make your live harder than it should be.
for electropunk no problem since it doesn't matter if you suddenly stop, because, well because it's punk .P
but for 1.5 h set techno ...

try:

+ compress your beats into one beat (32 sound) and do a clever layout in your song progression.
+ korg kaos pad3+ -  midi sync & looping & FX ;)

goodluck :)

Thanks in advance.
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 08:54:23 PM »
I'm going to give playing a set on the Tempest live this weekend, accompanied by a friend / drummer who is going to play a Korg Wavedrum. Here's how I plan to go about it:

- 1 Project of 16 beats. It should be easily enough for an hour.
- Each beat uses the left 8 pads for drum sounds, the right 8 pads are synth leads, bases, noises, etc.
- I typically use 6 or so drum sounds and ~4 synth/noise sounds per beat.
- The project is saved with most sounds muted, so a beat comes in relatively simply upon beat change.
- We'll build up the beat, with my hand-drummer partner playing most of the percussion on top of my kicks, claps etc.
- One beat covers a few melodic ideas through different parts on sounds. I jam using mute/unmutes, slider effects, and knob control of attack, dist, comp, roll, reverse etc. It's techno.. its better if you keep it changing in simple ways but let it ride quite a bit.
- We'll tear it back down to something simple to switch to the next beat.
- Rinse and repeat until we've played with all 16 beats.

I have all of the sounds labeled well and I'm pretty ready. Wish us luck!

KoSv

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 02:17:58 AM »
Yes!
Good Luck! :)
Post some live footage from the gig! It'll be interesting to hear.
greets!

I'm going to give playing a set on the Tempest live this weekend, accompanied by a friend / drummer who is going to play a Korg Wavedrum. Here's how I plan to go about it:

- 1 Project of 16 beats. It should be easily enough for an hour.
- Each beat uses the left 8 pads for drum sounds, the right 8 pads are synth leads, bases, noises, etc.
- I typically use 6 or so drum sounds and ~4 synth/noise sounds per beat.
- The project is saved with most sounds muted, so a beat comes in relatively simply upon beat change.
- We'll build up the beat, with my hand-drummer partner playing most of the percussion on top of my kicks, claps etc.
- One beat covers a few melodic ideas through different parts on sounds. I jam using mute/unmutes, slider effects, and knob control of attack, dist, comp, roll, reverse etc. It's techno.. its better if you keep it changing in simple ways but let it ride quite a bit.
- We'll tear it back down to something simple to switch to the next beat.
- Rinse and repeat until we've played with all 16 beats.

I have all of the sounds labeled well and I'm pretty ready. Wish us luck!
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.