Prophet 08 as an expander

Prophet 08 as an expander
« on: March 03, 2016, 11:40:35 AM »
So, i know that I will get 16 note poly by linking another Pro 08 to my Pro 08. How does this work out with A/B splits and stacked sounds? Would I then have......
16 voice stacked sounds?
8 note poly on each A and B sound?
8 note poly and 8 voices when stacked in A/B mode?

Just wanted to clarify before I get another Pro 08.
Cheers :-)

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Prophet 08 as an expander
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 12:31:03 PM »
Although it's been a couple of years since I last used polychain, as far as I remember, if you connect the MIDI cable and set the globals correctly, everything should be doubled and controlled by the master instrument.  But my personal preference has been to treat the keyboard and module as separate instruments that are simply MIDI connected using the In/Out jacks, rather than polychained.  I would use polychain only if I specifically wanted a sixteen-voice instrument.  The non-polychain method gives you a stereo field (by panning at the mixer) without the complications of the Output B arrangement, and it allows bi-timbrally whenever necessary.  It's simple enough to use, and is more flexible because each instrument remains independent of the other.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 01:39:38 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 04:59:55 AM »
Although it's been a couple of years since I last used polychain, as far as I remember, if you connect the MIDI cable and set the globals correctly, everything should be doubled and controlled by the master instrument.  But my personal preference has been to treat the keyboard and module as separate instruments that are simply MIDI connected using the In/Out jacks, rather than polychained.  I would use polychain only if I specifically wanted a sixteen-voice instrument.  The non-polychain method gives you a stereo field (by panning at the mixer) without the complications of the Output B arrangement, and it allows bi-timbrally whenever necessary.  It's simple enough to use, and is more flexible because each instrument remains independent of the other.

Thank you. I think both ways would come in handy in the studio but as you say, the second scenario is the most versatile.
Cheers.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »
16 voice stacked sounds?

I'm not sure about how 16 voices would stack up (haven't tried this), but you are correct about the second two:
In Polychain mode, the upper voice lights of both instruments would light up when playing the one sound of a split and the lower lights illuminate when playing the other side. In Stacked mode, the upper and lower lights illuminate together in pairs for each note you play.

I have a Tetra, and although I was originally thinking of using it mainly in Polychain for 6 or 12 voices, so far I haven't used it much for that. Sacred Synthesis' method is very effective.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 11:53:55 AM »
16 voice stacked sounds?

I'm not sure about how 16 voices would stack up (haven't tried this), but you are correct about the second two:
In Polychain mode, the upper voice lights of both instruments would light up when playing the one sound of a split and the lower lights illuminate when playing the other side. In Stacked mode, the upper and lower lights illuminate together in pairs for each note you play.

I have a Tetra, and although I was originally thinking of using it mainly in Polychain for 6 or 12 voices, so far I haven't used it much for that. Sacred Synthesis' method is very effective.

Thank you Jason :-)