8dio - Sequential Prophet X/XL Add-On 5 T8

Shaw

8dio - Sequential Prophet X/XL Add-On 5 T8
« on: May 14, 2019, 11:33:06 AM »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Re: 8dio - Sequential Prophet X/XL Add-On 5 T8
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 01:08:31 PM »
New Add-on pack available:   https://8dio.com/instrument/sequential-prophet-xxl-add-on-5-t8/

Just downloaded and installed the T8 add-on pack, from a first look can't say I'm all that impressed. I've ran through the presets to get an overall feeling of the sounds, bass sounds average, some nice leads perhaps, nothing really inspriring from listening to the presets. What is disappointing is that 8Dio have released yet another synth and nothing else (bar the poor CP-70 piano attempt). I really expected something more diverse sample wise at this stage.

Shaw

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 01:12:44 PM »
New Add-on pack available:   https://8dio.com/instrument/sequential-prophet-xxl-add-on-5-t8/

Just downloaded and installed the T8 add-on pack, from a first look can't say I'm all that impressed. I've ran through the presets to get an overall feeling of the sounds, bass sounds average, some nice leads perhaps, nothing really inspriring from listening to the presets. What is disappointing is that 8Dio have released yet another synth and nothing else (bar the poor CP-70 piano attempt). I really expected something more diverse sample wise at this stage.
I’m OK with the idea of synth sampling (though a kazoo could be useful as well), but I’d like to see something more encompassing, something broader in scope... “The Last Prophet” Add-On was a step in the right direction.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 02:28:05 PM »
Still want my Prophet 2000 sample pack. I’d buy that in a heartbeat.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 06:36:06 PM »

Did you just run through the 16 x 2 presets? This pack has 120 sampled instruments. It looks pretty good so curious if you ran through all 120 sampled instruments. It’s much more content than past packs for the same price.

laurentluigi

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 02:00:55 AM »
At the end of the specification, on the web site, it's written this :
"Stay tuned for more exclusive Prophet X & XL add-ons coming soon, including the Legendary Jupiter-4 (JP-4)."

drxcm

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 12:27:43 AM »
Haven’t tried it yet but have bought it.

I too would like to see some more esoteric content.

Eg atmospheres, field recordings, sound effects, electro acoustic sounds, real instuments

I loaded some Goldbaby dirt and layers into mine which has been amazing.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 07:13:01 AM »
... real instuments

Goldbaby dirt sounds cool! I'm still trying to broaden my imagination so I can dive into that synergy of the oscillators, samples and filter that seems to be the intent of the designers of our Prophet X.Those results may be more 'experimental' than I need though... So far, I've programmed some fun fat touch sensitive stuff 1/2 way between enormo-steel drums & nylon guitar, but that's already in a few wonderful presets (Steam Punk, Alien Tropix, e.g.) and tweaked many factory presets to be more playable to my touch and style. I like 8DO's The Last Prophet, and love the VCO pack (thanks so much Lady Gaia!). The mellotrons? way cool, but I haven't gone back to the patches I programmed them into. Maybe for the right client though...
 I do have an old T8, and agree that (on first listen) 8DIO's take on it is disappointing. But that may be a given: so much of that axe is the massive amount of real time control coupled with the polyphonic aftertouch (which only transmits over midi as channel AT), plus something that SLOP may be able to replicate in the PX, but doesn't come across in their audio demos. It may be in there, or analog vs. digital vs. sample may be real.
   I've considered auto-sampling some of my MainStage patches, but don't know how to grab more than one channel strip at a time. Thought of sampling my B3, but I'm having a lot of fun with Ham Sammich and especially tweaking Rhode Island (when you engage the Mod Wheel) and it just seems like too much work. But I do think I'll get to that.
   Jupiter 4 sounds exciting, go 8DIO! Not sure what else I'd suggest for them (or one of us) to sample going forward. It seems like if we can't make 200GB of built-in samples do the trick, maybe the fault lies in us, not the 50 remaining GB not being properly served.
T8, Tempest, OB6, Prophet X. 8DIO Prophet 5 add-on, Sample Packs from Lady Gaia (synth waveforms) and Modulatable.com (Moog One.)

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 09:19:21 AM »
... real instuments

Goldbaby dirt sounds cool! I'm still trying to broaden my imagination so I can dive into that synergy of the oscillators, samples and filter that seems to be the intent of the designers of our Prophet X.Those results may be more 'experimental' than I need though... So far, I've programmed some fun fat touch sensitive stuff 1/2 way between enormo-steel drums & nylon guitar, but that's already in a few wonderful presets (Steam Punk, Alien Tropix, e.g.) and tweaked many factory presets to be more playable to my touch and style. I like 8DO's The Last Prophet, and love the VCO pack (thanks so much Lady Gaia!). The mellotrons? way cool, but I haven't gone back to the patches I programmed them into. Maybe for the right client though...
 I do have an old T8, and agree that (on first listen) 8DIO's take on it is disappointing. But that may be a given: so much of that axe is the massive amount of real time control coupled with the polyphonic aftertouch (which only transmits over midi as channel AT), plus something that SLOP may be able to replicate in the PX, but doesn't come across in their audio demos. It may be in there, or analog vs. digital vs. sample may be real.
   I've considered auto-sampling some of my MainStage patches, but don't know how to grab more than one channel strip at a time. Thought of sampling my B3, but I'm having a lot of fun with Ham Sammich and especially tweaking Rhode Island (when you engage the Mod Wheel) and it just seems like too much work. But I do think I'll get to that.
   Jupiter 4 sounds exciting, go 8DIO! Not sure what else I'd suggest for them (or one of us) to sample going forward. It seems like if we can't make 200GB of built-in samples do the trick, maybe the fault lies in us, not the 50 remaining GB not being properly served.
I see your point. I only got the P X a few weeks ago, I am very much still a newbie. On my good old trusty Akai S5000 I did load quite a few environmental style samples. Some of them I got (free) of the Internet, but quite a few I made myself with a combination of contact microphones and normal mics. There is a lot of music in our kitchen I discovered. We have a metal oven dish that creates a wicked bass and weird overtones when hit with a wooden spoon.

For me the Prophet X is a complete re-start of my sampling work. I don't have a workflow yet and I still need to figure out what the best approach is. The P X is very limited in polyphony and layering of programs and multis compared to the S5000 (128 notes simultaneously over 32 MIDI channels and many layers), but combining oscillators and the really great filter, the quality is hugely better than the S5000.

I am trying to get my old Mellotron patches into the P X. At the moment I am having them loaded in the Blofeld and the S5000. I also would really love somehow to emulate the classic " Moog " sound. The VCO sample packs do have sampled Moog oscillators, but so far I haven't been able yet to create 'that"  sound.  I think I probably will have to get a Grandmother anyway next year. I did manage to create some wonderful new and exciting patches to my own liking. Please don't get me wrong I love the sample packs and what 8Dio is doing.

At the moment, except for the piano add-on, I will get everything 8Dio throws at the P X and see how that goes.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 07:14:45 AM »

I really expected something more diverse sample wise at this stage.

I totally agree. Putting more antique synths into the Prophet, which already comes with pretty nice digital synth oscillators, just seems strange. This is probably heresy to the purists, but to my ears a T8 saw and a Prophet X saw don't really sound all that different.

More to the point, for my applications I'm not really interested in combining two sampled synth waves with two DCO synth waves. One of the core advantages of the Prophet X is to be able to combine organic textures with synth textures. Particularly given 8Dio's extensive acoustic library, I'm surprised at what is being issued.

Shaw

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 10:55:19 AM »

I really expected something more diverse sample wise at this stage.

I totally agree. Putting more antique synths into the Prophet, which already comes with pretty nice digital synth oscillators, just seems strange. This is probably heresy to the purists, but to my ears a T8 saw and a Prophet X saw don't really sound all that different.

More to the point, for my applications I'm not really interested in combining two sampled synth waves with two DCO synth waves. One of the core advantages of the Prophet X is to be able to combine organic textures with synth textures. Particularly given 8Dio's extensive acoustic library, I'm surprised at what is being issued.
I think it depends on how you go about sampling the synth.  I haven’t downloaded the T8 sample pack yet (just too busy with other stuff to get around to it), but it seems to be a bit more comprehensive than their prior releases.

Anyway,,, I’ve had some great results sampling some analogue and digital synths as “instruments” instead of just trying to sample the “waveform”.  In other words, I program a patch that I like (with filters, envelopes, LFOs, the whole instrument), then multi-sample it (various velocity and round-robins), then bring it into the Prophet X and layer it with whatever (other multi-samples from the same synth, the Prophet X’s OSC), and then apply the Prophet X mod matrix and effects.   Very satisfying results.  I’d love to release a sample pack if I could find the time, but my OCD would kick in and it would be huge....

Anyway, that’s the real beauty of the Prophet X:  you’re imagination and creativity with samples can really take off.  Regardless of what you want to sample: acoustic instruments, other synths, fireflies, whatever...   Don’t discount sampling other synths though.  The results can be downright glorious.