Size of Potis, Knobs, etc. - Keyboard vs. Desktop

jok3r

Size of Potis, Knobs, etc. - Keyboard vs. Desktop
« on: May 13, 2019, 09:44:02 AM »
Hey there,

can anybody tell me if the controls of the Prophet 6 are the same sice on the keyboard and on the module version? Or is everything smaller on the desktop version? Or is just the space between the potis reduced?

I'm very interested in buying a Prophet 6, but Thomann doesn't have a module in the showroom to compare, only the keyboard version. I like the knob size and spacing on the keyboard version very much (as I do on the Rev2) and hope it's the same on the module. Sorry, if that has been asked before, the search didn't show results that were looking like this question would be answered (if I use the words "poti" or "knob" and "size" everytime the word syntheSIZEer is in a text it showed me a hit).
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Re: Size of Potis, Knobs, etc. - Keyboard vs. Desktop
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 10:20:36 AM »
The layouts are different, but the knobs and buttons are the same size in both the desktop and keyboard versions.
Alexis QS6.1, 7.1, 8.2
Hammond B3
Nord Stage 3, Electro 5
Roland D05
Sequential OB6
Sonicprojects OP-X PRO II
Yamaha C3, CP70

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 05:42:06 PM »
FWIW, I really wanted the keyboard, but didn't have space for another keyboard, so I ordered the module. I like the layout quite a bit and find it to be very logical and usable.

jok3r

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 12:25:47 AM »
Thanks for the answers.

The module version looks a bit compressed in my opinion. But as I didn't see it in real life I just wanted to ask people who have it. The keyboard version is about 28cm longer than the module, so there must be a lot more space between the knobs. That's what I would guess from pictures, too. But it doesn't seem to be a problem for you who own it... hm... Perhaps I should ask at Thomann if they can bring a module from the stock to the showroom.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 03:14:18 PM »
A picture is worth a thousand words...the two pictures in this image are the same size. The absence of the blue lines fools the eye, but the pot spacing is identical

That said, the buttons are much closer together, although I suspect that is a minor issue. I think that the module layout is a little more intuitive with the "horizontal slice" for each of the major functional blocks, rather than the "vertical" slice of the keyboard unit.

Note also that this is the OB-6, although the choices and layouts are VERY similar for the Prophet
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 03:20:10 PM by shmuelyosef »
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

jok3r

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 10:57:24 PM »
Ok, this really looks pretty much the same. Thank you. In fact, I'm interested in the OB6 as well. I think I will decide in the store the moment I really buy one, if it's going to be the P6 or the OB6.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 06:46:49 PM »
The keyboard version is about 28cm longer than the module, so there must be a lot more space between the knobs. That's what I would guess from pictures, too.

Did you get one? Actually, the desktop module is shorter because it has some of the sections put on top in additional rows, instead of side by side, giving more but shorter rows of controls than on the keyboard. So the layout is a bit different. It's squarer.

Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.

jok3r

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 01:21:57 AM »
Oh... I almost forgot about this thread...

No, I didn't pull the trigger yet, since I want to try a Moog Matriarch first, as soon as Thomann has one in their show room. But actually I'm thinking about it very much, because prices for both P/OB6 dropped a little, at least in Germany, the last weeks.