220V 50Hz / 110V 60Hz

220V 50Hz / 110V 60Hz
« on: May 10, 2019, 08:28:31 AM »
I'm relocating from the US to Thailand in a few months.  All of my newer gear can handle any line power it would encounter around the world, but some of my older gear wants to see 110V @ 60Hz vs. the 220V @ 50Hz that Thailand uses.  I have found some relatively cheap, yet robust voltage converters that will bring the 220V down to 110V, but units which also convert the 50Hz to 60Hz are very expensive.  Now I'm wondering how big of an issue it would be to run my old synths on 110V at 50Hz.  It *seems* to me that it would not be a big deal assuming that there is plenty of filtering in the power supply, but I would hate to make a wrong assumption and damage anything.  If anyone has had experience with this, I would love to hear your thoughts / advice... Thanks!

Shaw

Re: 220V 50Hz / 110V 60Hz
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 08:35:50 AM »
I'm relocating from the US to Thailand in a few months.  All of my newer gear can handle any line power it would encounter around the world, but some of my older gear wants to see 110V @ 60Hz vs. the 220V @ 50Hz that Thailand uses.  I have found some relatively cheap, yet robust voltage converters that will bring the 220V down to 110V, but units which also convert the 50Hz to 60Hz are very expensive.  Now I'm wondering how big of an issue it would be to run my old synths on 110V at 50Hz.  It *seems* to me that it would not be a big deal assuming that there is plenty of filtering in the power supply, but I would hate to make a wrong assumption and damage anything.  If anyone has had experience with this, I would love to hear your thoughts / advice... Thanks!
I lived in Thailand for a spell.  I just used the step down converter for electronics -- never had an issue, but I also wasn't using anything akin to a cherished synth.
I would think the step down converter into a power conditioner may be all you'd need... that's pure speculation on my part.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 08:51:18 AM »
Thank you for the input Shaw!  What part of Thailand were you in?  I'm heading to Chiang Mai.

Shaw

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 09:19:36 AM »
Thank you for the input Shaw!  What part of Thailand were you in?  I'm heading to Chiang Mai.
Bangkok... though Chiyang Mai is beautiful and With cooler temperatures!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 06:33:15 PM »
When choosing a step-down converter, check the max wattage it can provide. Some are very limited and you will find it won't cope with more than one device plugged into it. Much cheaper if you have a lot of gear to power to get one with a high maximum watt output and used power boards than to buy multiple converters. Regarding the use of multi-point power boards, if you do go that way, get one with all the safety bits on it and with individual power switches if you can. Best to be sure that if the converter does start to mess up and send bad power your gear will be protected.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 09:56:11 AM »
Now I'm wondering how big of an issue it would be to run my old synths on 110V at 50Hz.  It *seems* to me that it would not be a big deal assuming that there is plenty of filtering in the power supply, but I would hate to make a wrong assumption and damage anything.
The filtering may be important in cases where the supply is not regulated or where there isn't enough margin between the unregulated and regulated voltages.

Also:

If the gear has its own internal transformer to take the voltage down further (and up, if it's tube/valve equipment), the transformer may end up being overloaded if it's not sufficiently oversized. 50 Hz transformers need to be larger than 60 Hz transformers of the same power rating. If the transformer is not designed with a sufficient safety margin, it may overheat when used at the lower frequency.  (Incidentally, this is why aircraft use 400 Hz power.  The transformers may be made smaller and lighter at the high frequency).

One other possible concern (though not common) is that some gear may use the frequency of the mains supply for timing purposes.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 09:37:58 PM »
Keep in mind that 110 volts at 50hz is equal to 91.6 volts at 60hz.  You might want to see if you are creating a too-low voltage situation for your synths. 
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 08:59:43 AM »
Keep in mind that 110 volts at 50hz is equal to 91.6 volts at 60hz.  You might want to see if you are creating a too-low voltage situation for your synths.
It sounds like you're confusing frequency (in Hz) with current (in amperes).

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 08:52:49 AM »
I bought a rather large and heavy unit rated at 1150 Watts - about 3 times what is required.  Nothing has motors, tubes, or an unregulated power supply, so I think everything will work okay.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.   ;)

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 11:29:37 AM »
I leave for Thailand in two days.  I will let everyone know how things work out once my gear arrives in a couple of months.  My zip code in Chiang Mai is 50220 which I take as a good omen.    ;D

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 05:37:12 PM »
Hello friends! All of my gear arrived this week and I am happy to report that there are no issues whatsoever with the 50Hz line voltage. I caught a huge break with the import tariffs too. I'm not sure what kind of voodoo my customs broker used, but I was expecting to owe many thousands of dollars and the actual bill was less than $50!  ;D

Shaw

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 05:48:19 PM »
Hello friends! All of my gear arrived this week and I am happy to report that there are no issues whatsoever with the 50Hz line voltage. I caught a huge break with the import tariffs too. I'm not sure what kind of voodoo my customs broker used, but I was expecting to owe many thousands of dollars and the actual bill was less than $50!  ;D
Congrats!   And that sounds like some extra beer money right there!