Novation SUMMIT ?

jg666

Re: Novation SUMMIT ?
« Reply #180 on: August 03, 2022, 12:57:01 AM »
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it's an easy task to use the Summit as an effects processor for another synth.

I had seen the inputs on the back panel but given my experience with the Pro2 I thought it best to ask rather than assume. Whilst the Pro2 has external inputs it's not an easy process in my experience as you have to hold a note and then turn the oscillators off for it to receive and process the incoming from the audio in sockets. The incoming audio also goes through the filters so you can do a few things with it, but it's not ideal for me as an effects processor.

(edited to try and make more sense!!!)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 01:41:27 AM by jg666 »
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LPF83

« Reply #181 on: August 03, 2022, 07:53:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it's an easy task to use the Summit as an effects processor for another synth.

I had seen the inputs on the back panel but given my experience with the Pro2 I thought it best to ask rather than assume. Whilst the Pro2 has external inputs it's not an easy process in my experience as you have to hold a note and then turn the oscillators off for it to receive and process the incoming from the audio in sockets. The incoming audio also goes through the filters so you can do a few things with it, but it's not ideal for me as an effects processor.

As someone who has had a few synths that allow external inputs through the FX, I just thought I'd chime in enough to say that I consider it experimental fun but in no way a replacement for dedicated pedals or rack FX equipment.  The overall experience and resulting sound is not the same IMHO. 

By all means do it, I've done this recently with the Virus and System 8...   but I wouldn't buy a particular synth that has that capability instead of a good set of pedals if that makes sense.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

jg666

« Reply #182 on: August 03, 2022, 09:50:17 AM »

As someone who has had a few synths that allow external inputs through the FX, I just thought I'd chime in enough to say that I consider it experimental fun but in no way a replacement for dedicated pedals or rack FX equipment.  The overall experience and resulting sound is not the same IMHO. 

By all means do it, I've done this recently with the Virus and System 8...   but I wouldn't buy a particular synth that has that capability instead of a good set of pedals if that makes sense.

Yes that makes perfect sense and many thanks for your reply :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #183 on: August 04, 2022, 12:02:05 PM »

I'm surprised how many synths have this audio input feature, but I've only experimented a few times with such.  Perhaps more folks use this than I expect and its a selling point,  or its relatively inexpensive for the manufactures to slap into the circuit?    I personally would not want to rely on processing outboard instruments thru my Summit.     
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

jg666

« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2022, 06:54:19 AM »
Has anyone loaded the latest firmware version which was released the other day? Just wondering if this is a bug fix release or if there’s anything new?

« Reply #185 on: August 07, 2022, 07:22:50 AM »
Has anyone loaded the latest firmware version which was released the other day? Just wondering if this is a bug fix release or if there’s anything new?
The added new features are detailed in the release notes.

« Reply #186 on: May 31, 2023, 09:58:21 AM »
Decksaver have finally made a cover for this synth.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2023, 05:46:09 PM »
This is an excellent thorough review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loy1DDpwSWQ

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2023, 10:35:52 PM »
This is an excellent thorough review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loy1DDpwSWQ

Yea. Great overview.

This, and the PolyBrute, is/are many of the reasons I'm not so impressed with the Trigon. - Yes, I know some people want something different, but this is cheaper and better. (I'm still stuck on my Pro3)

:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.