Novation SUMMIT ?

LoboLives

Re: Novation SUMMIT ?
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2019, 02:56:57 PM »
Am I the only one who feels it was a completely missed opportunity not to name this synth "Twin Peaks"?

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2019, 03:00:03 PM »
Am I the only one who feels it was a completely missed opportunity not to name this synth "Twin Peaks"?

Maybe a copyright issue. You'd have to ask David Lynch.

LoboLives

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2019, 03:46:11 PM »

Maybe a copyright issue. You'd have to ask David Lynch.

I still wouldn't have an answer. lol

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2019, 11:19:10 PM »
It's so obvious a name, that it cannot be anything else but a copyright issue in my opinion... either that, or the developers figured out that this is what everyone would call it, so they found another name... if you think of it, Twin Peaks was referencing two mountain peaks... and Summit has two mountain peaks in it's logo... which to me hints at the resemblance to Twin Peaks... if this was a joke, or simply copyright reasons i cannot say, but I do think there is a connection...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2019, 06:18:46 AM »
The name "Twin Peaks" is a registered trademark of Lynch/Frost Productions. The Twin Peaks logo is copyrighted by Lynch/Frost Productions. Unless you have lots of extra cash to burn, it's better to avoid any legal conflicts when naming a new product.

blewis

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2019, 08:30:33 AM »
I’ll use gaffer tape to label mine “Twin Peaks” then I’ll relabel Novation as “Agent Cooper” or “Cherry Pie” or “White Lodge”.

I’ll also do what I did on my Peak - use gaffer tape and silver sharpie to label the I/O on the top since they thought that utility silk screen would mess with their visuals.

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2019, 08:39:57 AM »
I’ll use gaffer tape to label mine “Twin Peaks” then I’ll relabel Novation as “Agent Cooper” or “Cherry Pie” or “White Lodge”.

;D

In that case you’ll definitely need a cup holder, too.

Shaw

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2019, 01:15:18 PM »

;D

Nothing that can’t be accomplished with duct tape.   :)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2019, 01:24:26 PM »

;D

As long as it holds a damn good coffee that's alright.

Shaw

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2019, 01:29:43 PM »

;D

As long as it holds a damn good coffee that's alright.
…  or a nice Deutscher Bier Stein.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

blewis

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2019, 06:58:33 PM »
I missed an obvious, but cooler name suggested by someone on Sonic State's Youtube video: Laura Palmer. That would look pretty frickin' rad taped over Novation if you ask me. I could transport the Summit to gigs wrapped up in plastic.

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2019, 03:37:03 AM »
I missed an obvious, but cooler name suggested by someone on Sonic State's Youtube video: Laura Palmer. That would look pretty frickin' rad taped over Novation if you ask me. I could transport the Summit to gigs wrapped up in plastic.

I did this a while back on the PX. The patch was basically based on the first bars of Julee Cruise's Falling (the muted tremolo guitar plus e-piano, which in my case evolved into a synth pad). I didn't post a recording of that for obvious copyright reasons.

LoboLives

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2019, 03:44:46 AM »

I did this a while back on the PX. The patch was basically based on the first bars of Julee Cruise's Falling (the muted tremolo guitar plus e-piano, which in my case evolved into a synth pad). I didn't post a recording of that for obvious copyright reasons.

See around 3:33

https://youtu.be/e_UbIdDXhkk

jok3r

« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2019, 07:08:23 AM »
I‘ve been at Thomann today and luckily there was a guy from Novation who showed the SUMMIT to the employees and the few customers in the showroom.

It sounds exactly like a PEAK in my opinion, which is really nice. The additional knobs on the front end especially for fm and the arpeggiator are a great plus. The keybed is not as good as a Fatar one, but still very nice and playable. Perhaps I will sell my PEAK for the SUMMIT, because it would simplify my setup a lot. The internal power supply is a great upgrade, too. And since it‘s (more than) two PEAKs I would get another synth engine on top.

The guy (I didn‘t ask for his name) told us, that it will be shipping to Germany in October. I asked him what will happen, if there‘s an unregulated Brexit at the end of this year. Novation seems to have thought of this scenario and found possible solutions so that no delays in delivery to the European market should occur.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2019, 07:16:00 AM »
I‘ve been at Thomann today and luckily there was a guy from Novation who showed the SUMMIT to the employees and the few customers in the showroom.

It sounds exactly like a PEAK in my opinion, which is really nice. The additional knobs on the front end especially for fm and the arpeggiator are a great plus. The keybed is not as good as a Fatar one, but still very nice and playable. Perhaps I will sell my PEAK for the SUMMIT, because it would simplify my setup a lot. The internal power supply is a great upgrade, too. And since it‘s (more than) two PEAKs I would get another synth engine on top.

The guy (I didn‘t ask for his name) told us, that it will be shipping to Germany in October. I asked him what will happen, if there‘s an unregulated Brexit at the end of this year. Novation seems to have thought of this scenario and found possible solutions so that no delays in delivery to the European market should occur.

I was a bit disappointed with the keybed when I played it at Superbooth, though the synth itself is cool.

If there is a no-deal Brexit then, fear not, Sterling will crash and you’ll be able to come over and buy one here for next to nothing, though people might try and kill you for food if things get really bad!

I really hope it doesn’t come to that though!

jok3r

« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2019, 07:34:08 AM »
If there is a no-deal Brexit then, fear not, Sterling will crash and you’ll be able to come over and buy one here for next to nothing, though people might try and kill you for food if things get really bad!

I really hope it doesn’t come to that though!

If I can trust the Novation guy, I just have to bring some toilet paper. Seems the British toilet paper industry doesn‘t have own resources and does import everything you need to build such a basic thing. I started laughing when he told me that, but now, some hours later, I think this really shows what a great mess this whole Brexit thing is. So I think the probability for getting killed for food will be increasing.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2019, 07:36:42 AM »
I suppose we could always use our bank notes for toilet paper as they’ll be worthless; or we could’ve done if they weren’t plastic-coated now!

maNŚuvre

• That which cannot be put into words...
    • Music
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2019, 08:10:15 AM »
I was just told by Novation themselves, after asking them, that the Filter in SUMMIT is different than PEAKs, and that dual mode cannot be done with a software update to PEAK... bummer... now I want SUMMIT again... I really would like all those dual filter modes.
That’s a bummer. I was thinking about buying a Peak and looking forward to a dual filter mode update, potentially. Nick Batt’s demo showed the dual filter mode and it looked enticing!
'Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent.' Victor Hugo

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2019, 08:40:55 AM »
I was just told by Novation themselves, after asking them, that the Filter in SUMMIT is different than PEAKs, and that dual mode cannot be done with a software update to PEAK... bummer... now I want SUMMIT again... I really would like all those dual filter modes.
That’s a bummer. I was thinking about buying a Peak and looking forward to a dual filter mode update, potentially. Nick Batt’s demo showed the dual filter mode and it looked enticing!

This is why I'm god damned irritated that they did not make a Summit module as well... we can only HOPE they will make one if the keys version is well recieved... though I do believe that will be the case... crossing my fingers...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Tonda

« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2019, 10:05:47 AM »
This is why I'm god damned irritated that they did not make a Summit module as well... we can only HOPE they will make one if the keys version is well recieved... though I do believe that will be the case... crossing my fingers...

Well, I did my best, I ordered a Summit  :)