Novation SUMMIT ?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Novation SUMMIT ?
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2019, 03:17:53 AM »
I was just told by Novation themselves, after asking them, that the Filter in SUMMIT is different than PEAKs, and that dual mode cannot be done with a software update to PEAK... bummer... now I want SUMMIT again... I really would like all those dual filter modes.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

jok3r

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2019, 04:33:12 AM »
It's already listet at Thomann with high resolution pictures...

https://www.thomann.de/de/novation_summit.htm

Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

LoboLives

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2019, 09:14:52 PM »

eXode

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2019, 01:45:06 AM »
The description above with > and + indicate that the dual mode allows for both serial and parallell operation (LP + HP could be notch, btw).

It _might_ also mean that there's additional circuitry not available on the peak. But that is just speculation/me guessing. :)

I was told that the dual filter mode was modeled after the OSCar, meaning that it allows for creating two resonant peaks. Dual mode does not mean a combination of the other modes.

I don't quite understand your point. The dual filter modes I posted was taken directly from Novation's home page.

Dual filter: LP > HP, LP > BP, HP > BP, LP + HP, LP + BP, HP + BP, LP + LP, BP + BP, and HP + HP

The fact that they use both > and + in their description indicate that i.e. LP > HP means LP into HP, while i.e. LP + HP indicate that LP and HP will run in parallel, when using that specific dual filter mode.

So you can run the filter either as a 12 or 24 dB LP/BP/HP or you can run it in 12 dB dual filter mode with the configurations listed above.

eXode

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2019, 05:16:19 AM »
https://youtu.be/DtuT_IYLtJ4?t=483

8 min in this video they start to go through the filter details, and at about 9 min you see the menu items and he describes the combinations a little.

jok3r

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2019, 02:59:38 PM »
The more I hear from the Summit, the more I realize that I don't really need it. It really sounds like a PEAK and besides the new filter and double voice count, there's not much that really would justify the upgrade. I'm pretty happy with the 8-voices at the moment and think I will stick to the original plan of buying a Matriarch to broaden my sonic palette, since I don't have any Moogish sythesizers yet (or perhaps finally buy a P6 module which I'm in love with since it's available). I also like the Fatar keybed of the Grandmother/P6/Rev2 way better than the Novation keybed in the SL MKIII which I tested at Thomann last week.

So I will also hope for a cheaper module version in the future. Otherwise I can hardly justify the upgrade.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2019, 01:23:56 AM »
The more I hear from the Summit, the more I realize that I don't really need it. It really sounds like a PEAK and besides the new filter and double voice count, there's not much that really would justify the upgrade. I'm pretty happy with the 8-voices at the moment and think I will stick to the original plan of buying a Matriarch to broaden my sonic palette, since I don't have any Moogish sythesizers yet (or perhaps finally buy a P6 module which I'm in love with since it's available). I also like the Fatar keybed of the Grandmother/P6/Rev2 way better than the Novation keybed in the SL MKIII which I tested at Thomann last week.

So I will also hope for a cheaper module version in the future. Otherwise I can hardly justify the upgrade.

Summit has the same keybed as the SL MKIII and, you’re right, it’s not as nice as the DSI/Moog Fatar ones.

The Moog One keybed is nice too.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2019, 05:43:06 AM »

Basically the same conclusion I've reached... I'd certainly like to get a SUMMIT if in module form, but I do not want another keybed now that I've thought hard about it... the DUAL filter modes are what I'd really like for modulation capabilities, but it's not enough for me to get the whole keyboard package... I can easily layer the PEAK with my REV2 if I want more complicated sounds.

Still I think that SUMMIT is a stunning synth... it's a perfect synth for anyone wanting just ONE synth with a keybed... I do not think that it has been made in vain ... it's just not as attractive when you already have a PEAK.

jok3r

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2019, 02:03:57 PM »
Still I think that SUMMIT is a stunning synth... it's a perfect synth for anyone wanting just ONE synth with a keybed... I do not think that it has been made in vain ... it's just not as attractive when you already have a PEAK.

Yeah, that's the point. The SUMMIT is an absolutely fabulous synth and I would also buy it for sure, if I hadn't the PEAK.

In principle I don't have a problem with buying more synth with keybeds. I have a lot of space and since I play live a lot it is very comfortable to have a keybed included. But I already have the Rev2 and a PC3 (which I only use as master keyboard at the moment... shame on me, because the VAST synthesis is very powerful and it sounds very good in general) that both have the Fatar keybeds I like, so I don't really need further synth keybeds. It's just that I don't want to play anything worse than what I already have. If a new synth has a keybed as good or better than the Fatar ones: fine, I'll buy it. But if it hasn't, then I would rather buy a module and use the PC3 as controller.

Btw. the PC3 (and all the other workstation synthesizers I use also) is a better master keyboard than most of the dedicated MIDI master keyboards I've tested so far. 16 independend zones which you can transpose, split, layer, mute, and configure all controllers to do what ever you like, with powerful sequencer and riff generator, etc. seems to be too much to handle for most master keyboards. I played an AKAI MPK261 for a year on stage, because it's weight is much lower than the PC3's. But I replaced it with the PC3 again for the coming shows this summer, because it was too limited in some ways. I just decided that I will start another thread on this, because I would be too much ;-)

OceanMachine

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2019, 03:24:41 PM »
Quote from: Razmo
.. it's a perfect synth for anyone wanting just ONE synth

Pretty much what I was saying earlier. Personally I'm looking for something that's more full-bore digital given what I already own. I've been looking at the Mutable Instruments Elements and would like to see a big knobby poly use physical modeling for its basis, as well as having customizable LFOs. Out of everything on the market, I'd buy a Quantum if I had that kind of disposable income. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:52:23 PM by Ocean Machine »

LoboLives

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2019, 04:00:24 PM »

Yeah, that's the point. The SUMMIT is an absolutely fabulous synth and I would also buy it for sure, if I hadn't the PEAK.

In principle I don't have a problem with buying more synth with keybeds. I have a lot of space and since I play live a lot it is very comfortable to have a keybed included. But I already have the Rev2 and a PC3 (which I only use as master keyboard at the moment... shame on me, because the VAST synthesis is very powerful and it sounds very good in general) that both have the Fatar keybeds I like, so I don't really need further synth keybeds. It's just that I don't want to play anything worse than what I already have. If a new synth has a keybed as good or better than the Fatar ones: fine, I'll buy it. But if it hasn't, then I would rather buy a module and use the PC3 as controller.

Btw. the PC3 (and all the other workstation synthesizers I use also) is a better master keyboard than most of the dedicated MIDI master keyboards I've tested so far. 16 independend zones which you can transpose, split, layer, mute, and configure all controllers to do what ever you like, with powerful sequencer and riff generator, etc. seems to be too much to handle for most master keyboards. I played an AKAI MPK261 for a year on stage, because it's weight is much lower than the PC3's. But I replaced it with the PC3 again for the coming shows this summer, because it was too limited in some ways. I just decided that I will start another thread on this, because I would be too much ;-)

I have my eye on the new PC4 myself.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2019, 10:58:45 PM »
Quote from: Razmo
.. it's a perfect synth for anyone wanting just ONE synth

Pretty much what I was saying earlier. Personally I'm looking for something that's more full-bore digital given what I already own. I've been looking at the Mutable Instruments Elements and would like to see a big knobby poly use physical modeling for its basis, as well as having customizable LFOs. Out of everything on the market, I'd buy a Quantum if I had that kind of disposable income.

Quantum is also the one that I'd go for ... if they made one in a module version though... it's the only thing besides the Minilogue XD module that currently has synthesis methods I do not currently have... I just wish that the Minilogue module was at least 8 voices in itself without the need for polychaining... I just do not believe the QUANTUM will ever be made in a module version I'm afraid.

jok3r

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2019, 11:05:30 PM »
I have my eye on the new PC4 myself.

I got the same feelings about PC3 -> PC4 as with the PEAK -> SUMMIT. I don't think it's worth the money if you already have the predecessor. But should my PC3 ever die, I will buy a PC4 (or a used PC3K) for sure. I have the 61-key version at the moment and it's still my favorite small gig/living room concert/"unplugged gig" instrument. I sometimes play with some friends of mine who run an unplugged trio and play very small gigs. It's perfekt for that use case, since I don't have to carry around very much and have some nice piano and orchestral sounds to add to the acoustic guitar and base. Or sometimes I play gigs with my workstations only... In my opinion Kronos and PC3/4 are the most powerful workstations out there and make a very good combo. And last but not least: The PC3 is my backup solution, should my Kronos ever die on stage. I don't program everything twice, but all songs which I already programmed and played on it before I had the Kronos are still there and I just would have to do a short rewiring on stage and the show could go on. For the songs that I did first in my personal Kronos-era I could still play some standard presets, which would not at all sound like my usual sounds, but would at least rescue the evening. But again, I could start another thread about the PC3/4 thing ;-)

jg666

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2019, 12:02:50 AM »
When this synth was first announced I was convinced that I’d be being one at some point in the future. But now, having seen quite a few demos of patches I’m not so sure. What I’ve heard so far, there’s nothing that probably can’t be done on my Rev2.

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2019, 12:28:25 AM »
When this synth was first announced I was convinced that I’d be being one at some point in the future. But now, having seen quite a few demos of patches I’m not so sure. What I’ve heard so far, there’s nothing that probably can’t be done on my Rev2.

You bet it can do stuff your REV2 cannot... that's a 100% certainty... the digital front end allow for so many more varied timbres because of the Wavetables, and the FM capabilities. The problem is that people simply have not yet programmed the sounds that will convince you of this, and Novation has a reputation for always putting typical EDM type sounds in their factory pathces.

Never trust a synth on it's factory sounds... look at it's engine instead, and it's flexibility. I have PEAK and REV2, and I can certainly say that they complement each other quite nicely... yes they can both do a lot of the same territory, but both have their own thing as well that make it worth having both for me.

If you need to compare with a DSI instrument that comes close, it's probably much more the Prophet 12, and still, they also have enough differences that they would go well together (in my opinion).

One thing is certain... the moment I can see a way to fit a SUMMIT into my studio, it will be exchanged with my current PEAK... hopefully they'll do a module version of the SUMMIT, but my intuition tells me it'll never happen... unfortunately...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:30:37 AM by Razmo »

jg666

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2019, 01:01:02 AM »

You bet it can do stuff your REV2 cannot... that's a 100% certainty... the digital front end allow for so many more varied timbres because of the Wavetables, and the FM capabilities. The problem is that people simply have not yet programmed the sounds that will convince you of this, and Novation has a reputation for always putting typical EDM type sounds in their factory pathces.

Never trust a synth on it's factory sounds... look at it's engine instead, and it's flexibility. I have PEAK and REV2, and I can certainly say that they complement each other quite nicely... yes they can both do a lot of the same territory, but both have their own thing as well that make it worth having both for me.

If you need to compare with a DSI instrument that comes close, it's probably much more the Prophet 12, and still, they also have enough differences that they would go well together (in my opinion).

One thing is certain... the moment I can see a way to fit a SUMMIT into my studio, it will be exchanged with my current PEAK... hopefully they'll do a module version of the SUMMIT, but my intuition tells me it'll never happen... unfortunately...

Thanks for the reply, you’ve answered my doubts so I’ll wait for further reviews of it to see and hear all the possibilities:)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

jg666

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2019, 10:05:27 AM »
Nick has got his hands on one and has posted this Friday Fun video. So I suspect it won't be too long before we get a review from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RQeGRkeES0

OceanMachine

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2019, 11:15:11 AM »
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/07/30/1000-free-patches-for-the-novation-peak-summit-synthesizers/

The digital sounds in these demos interested me more than anything I've heard prior from the Peak. This actually has me quite interested in the Summit.

jg666

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2019, 08:21:06 AM »
The Summit review is now available on  Sonicstate

jg666

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2019, 10:08:08 AM »
The Summit review is now available on  Sonicstate

I forgot to put the link to the video !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YHZXq1c6tk