Novation SUMMIT ?

jok3r

Re: Novation SUMMIT ?
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 02:06:04 AM »
I really have to think about a Matriarch now... it seems to be a similar price point in €. If I buy this and don't sell my PEAK, i basically would have three of them... that would have cost me about 3.400€ in total. What's the price of a Moog One?
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 02:08:01 AM »
I really have to think about a Matriarch now... it seems to be a similar price point in €. If I buy this and don't sell my PEAK, i basically would have three of them... that would have cost me about 3.400€ in total. What's the price of a Moog One?

And if Novation would just make both keyboard and modules polychainable, you would have a 24voice beast.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

jok3r

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2019, 02:21:42 AM »

And if Novation would just make both keyboard and modules polychainable, you would have a 24voice beast.

If that's the case, then all my other plans will die immediately. A 24-Voice PEAK ... hell yeah...
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

jok3r

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2019, 03:19:53 AM »

If that's the case, then all my other plans will die immediately. A 24-Voice PEAK ... hell yeah...

I just asked Novation on their facebook presentation video of Summit about two things:

1. Do they have plans to make a module version of SUMMIT
2. Will they make PEAK and SUMMIT polychainable

The answer I got was what I expected... they do not have any current plans about these things, but would be glad to air the idea with the design team...

In other words; "we do not know... yet"

:)

I am not going to be holding my breath to be honest... I'll just have to fit the SUMMIT into my studio somehow, because keybeds always seem to end up being my "problem"... same thing with QUANTUM and PROPHET X... I have my two-synth table stand to the left of my V-Synth GT right now, and had planned to get another table section for my current table making it into a corner table where I could have two more table stands on the right of my GT... but I think it's probably more advantagous to drop that table section, and buy a 4 keyboard stand to place there instead... even if I was to place a module there they can always be mounted on the keyboard stand anyway... I'm tired of having to beg for modules to be honest... I WANT that SUMMIT!!!! ...

jg666

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 08:10:53 AM »
Just watched the videos about the Summit. It looks like I might be buying yet another synth soon  :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

OceanMachine

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 09:41:17 AM »
Those latest videos have peaked (sorry for the pun) my interest, whereas the Super 6 reveal video made me lose all interest. Still need to see what Sequential has up their sleeve, but if they don't manage to innovate enough, at two grand the Summit is looking attractive.

Maybe if you give me some links to the wavetable sound you like
I just want to hear more sounds out of it that are as far and away as possible from what you get with purely analog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl9rmPymE64
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:51:29 AM by Ocean Machine »

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2019, 10:46:38 AM »
It seems that it can allocate the voices, and is not hardwired like the REV2... if you look at the assignment LEDs in this video, they change color (red/blue) depending on what part a voice is playing, and both top and bottom row can be both colors.

No voice allocation. It’s always 8/8. Red is single mode, blue is layered or split mode.

jg666

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2019, 11:53:30 AM »
One thing I wished more synths had is an on screen representation of filter envelopes etc. My Pro2 has this and I find it very useful. I know the Peak has sliders but I do wish they’d have the on screen view too
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

OceanMachine

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2019, 12:13:31 PM »
Red is single mode, blue is layered or split mode.
There's also a teelish color for B layer voice lights. Plus lavender/lilac buttons/wheels when editing both layers simultaneously.

One thing I wished more synths had is an on screen representation of filter envelopes etc. My Pro2 has this and I find it very useful. I know the Peak has sliders but I do wish they’d have the on screen view too
Agreed, especially since the slider settings don't usually represent the actual patch/layer settings. Also, does the Peak have categories? If not then that's another convenience that should be implemented.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:13:13 PM by Ocean Machine »

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2019, 01:00:45 PM »
Red is single mode, blue is layered or split mode.
There's also a teelish color for B layer voice lights. Plus violet buttons/wheels when editing both layers simultaneously.

Agreed, especially since the slider settings don't usually represent the patch/layer settings. Also, does the Peak have categories? If not then that's another convenience that should be implemented.

Yes it has categories. I had a good few plays on one today in Berlin.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2019, 01:20:39 PM »
It seems that it can allocate the voices, and is not hardwired like the REV2... if you look at the assignment LEDs in this video, they change color (red/blue) depending on what part a voice is playing, and both top and bottom row can be both colors.

No voice allocation. It’s always 8/8. Red is single mode, blue is layered or split mode.

Yeah, I saw that too... it's exactly like the REV2 in terms of ... well.. everything except for the way multimode works... you do not have both layers saved into the same preset... which makes it even more PEAK compatible... and I was also right about the 12/24db cascade filter architecture--- I bet they can make that DUAL filter mode on PEAK as well with an update...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2019, 02:26:43 PM »
After realizing that a preset does not include both parts, and that SUMMIT is also two hardwired synths like the REV2, there are actually only one feature I'd be missing compared to the PEAK, and that is the single play mode with 16 voices... if they made an update to PEAK that would allow polychaining two PEAKs, and added the dual filter mode in an OS update, then a PEAK would generally be just one half of the SUMMIT.

This means that layering becomes less important, as I could just as well layer a PEAK with the REV2... I cannot create a complete two layer preset on SUMMIT, if multimode is simply pointing to two single part presets... it works like the "old school way" with multis and presets... change a preset, and any multi that use that preset will now sound different... that wa the cool thing about REV2 because it has all in the same preset.

This makes me hesitate getting a SUMMIT, especially when there is only a keyboard version... I'll probably stick with my PEAK until a module SUMMIT eventually sees the light of day.... even if the dual filter mode is a hardware change and cannot be done on PEAK, it's still not enough I feel.

I really do like the SUMMIT... and it looks really really sexy too... it will be hard to resist, but I think it's best for me to wait and see what happens next from Novation... but damn, I'd like to have 16 voices to play with!

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2019, 02:38:44 PM »
Yeah, I saw that too... it's exactly like the REV2 in terms of ... well.. everything except for the way multimode works... you do not have both layers saved into the same preset... which makes it even more PEAK compatible... and I was also right about the 12/24db cascade filter architecture--- I bet they can make that DUAL filter mode on PEAK as well with an update...

I also asked for you whether user waves will become an option. While they are aware that many users request it, they can’t guarantee whether it’ll happen.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2019, 03:05:54 PM »

I also asked for you whether user waves will become an option. While they are aware that many users request it, they can’t guarantee whether it’ll happen.

It will probably also be a major firmware change to allow for that I think.... also there are advantages to not having user wavetables, especially when it comes to editors... presets will then be dependent on what user waves are uploaded just like with a sampler making the sharing of sounds more complex than if they are just ROM waves...

I would actually rather have a huge singe cycle waveform bank of maybe 1024 ROM waveshapes that was carefully chosen, and then expand the OS so that the five waveshapes it morphs between could be chosen between those 1024 waveforms... that would give a huge timbral potential, even if you cannot load your own waveforms... and to be honest... there is a limit to how different such waveforms can sound... with 1024 carefully chosen waveforms you should be rather picky if you could not find five waves that you like :)

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2019, 08:20:20 PM »
Yes I have to say this looks great - Novation's alternative to the Prophet 12! :)
Absolutely love my Prophet 12, so having another synth with similar modes of operation but from another manufacturer would be welcome

Absolute Music have it priced up on their website at £1899, so looks like it's reasonably priced too.
I can see me selling a few pieces of kit to help fund this.
Not my Prophet 12 of course, that's staying with me forever! :)

eXode

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2019, 09:48:41 PM »
Filter

1 state variable OTA filter per voice
12/24dB slope
Low-pass / band-pass / high-pass / dual filter (separation of each 12dB filters)

Dual filter: LP > HP, LP > BP, HP > BP, LP + HP, LP + BP, HP + BP, LP + LP, BP + BP, and HP + HP

eXode

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2019, 09:52:04 PM »
The description above with > and + indicate that the dual mode allows for both serial and parallell operation (LP + HP could be notch, btw).

It _might_ also mean that there's additional circuitry not available on the peak. But that is just speculation/me guessing. :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 09:54:05 PM by eXode »

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2019, 01:03:45 AM »
After realizing that a preset does not include both parts, and that SUMMIT is also two hardwired synths like the REV2, there are actually only one feature I'd be missing compared to the PEAK, and that is the single play mode with 16 voices... if they made an update to PEAK that would allow polychaining two PEAKs, and added the dual filter mode in an OS update, then a PEAK would generally be just one half of the SUMMIT.

This means that layering becomes less important, as I could just as well layer a PEAK with the REV2... I cannot create a complete two layer preset on SUMMIT, if multimode is simply pointing to two single part presets... it works like the "old school way" with multis and presets... change a preset, and any multi that use that preset will now sound different... that wa the cool thing about REV2 because it has all in the same preset.

This makes me hesitate getting a SUMMIT, especially when there is only a keyboard version... I'll probably stick with my PEAK until a module SUMMIT eventually sees the light of day.... even if the dual filter mode is a hardware change and cannot be done on PEAK, it's still not enough I feel.

I really do like the SUMMIT... and it looks really really sexy too... it will be hard to resist, but I think it's best for me to wait and see what happens next from Novation... but damn, I'd like to have 16 voices to play with!

As far as I could tell from talking to the Novation guy, the multi mode stored both sounds as part of the preset. It is also possible to export one of the two sounds from a multi preset and store it as a single preset and vice versa.

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2019, 01:53:29 AM »
The description above with > and + indicate that the dual mode allows for both serial and parallell operation (LP + HP could be notch, btw).

It _might_ also mean that there's additional circuitry not available on the peak. But that is just speculation/me guessing. :)

I was told that the dual filter mode was modeled after the OSCar, meaning that it allows for creating two resonant peaks. Dual mode does not mean a combination of the other modes.