Novation SUMMIT ?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Novation SUMMIT ?
« on: May 07, 2019, 12:37:15 AM »
At last it seems that the PEAK is comming in a 16 voice keyboard version... i just hope it'll come in a module version as well, but nonetheless, I'm getting this! ... it has two of the fuctions I've missed; dual timbrality and 16 voices! :)

This makes my current doubt about getting a Prophet 12 a lot easier because with this, I see no real need to get a P12 in any way... the dual timbrality and the 16 voices would kill the P12 in my view...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:40:00 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

jok3r

Re: Novation SUMMIT ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 09:32:35 AM »
Oh man... Matriarch or this one? I can't buy both in the near future...

It will be interesting to see how much the PEAK is going to be worth on the used market then...
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 10:04:28 AM »
Oh man... Matriarch or this one? I can't buy both in the near future...

It will be interesting to see how much the PEAK is going to be worth on the used market then...

It was almost destined to happen... the PEAK has been very successful, I see it in many peoples setups, and this addresses exactly the things that was the drawbacks of the PEAK if any... I think it will be compatible with the PEAK to be honest, so I also believe it will be preset compatible... it would only need an OS update for PEAK regarding the new Chord mode on the arp, and that's an easy fix really... the only difference i see is the audio input, a few more knobs and the 16 voices plus dual timbrality... even with a simple OS update that introduce polychaining on the PEAK could be interesting and make the PEAK not so obsolete compared to the SUMMIT.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 11:51:21 AM »
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 11:56:08 AM by Paul Dither »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 01:30:55 PM »
There's more info on page 10 of this Superbooth brochure:
https://www.zampler.de/upload/Beat_Sooper_2019.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1L74ZdZ_Toa9Gt8Pwe2H3AfZFziMzn9RScnd-1DIf5XmXLT5tXAQkbAV0

It's very clear from the text, that this is "simply" two PEAKS put together under one hood... basically the same as a REV2 which is also two synths under the hood... each part has it's own FX and it's own output... just like the REV2.

I wonder if inside there is simply two separate PEAK boards with a common interface board and a few bells and whistles.

no matter what, it's exactly what the PEAK should have been from the start in my opinion... this synth seems to be perfect if they just add a Pan destination for the Mod Matrix, and maybe add a few more envelopes/LFO's ... two of the current LFO's are global... I don't understand why they did not make three LFO's per voice since the synth has 3 oscillators...

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 01:33:43 PM »
https://www.zampler.de/upload/Beat_Sooper_2019.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1L74ZdZ_Toa9Gt8Pwe2H3AfZFziMzn9RScnd-1DIf5XmXLT5tXAQkbAV0

It's very clear from the text, that this is "simply" two PEAKS put together under one hood... basically the same as a REV2 which is also two synths under the hood... each part has it's own FX and it's own output... just like the REV2.

I wonder if inside there is simply two separate PEAK boards with a common interface board and a few bells and whistles.

no matter what, it's exactly what the PEAK should have been from the start in my opinion... this synth seems to be perfect if they just add a Pan destination for the Mod Matrix, and maybe add a few more envelopes/LFO's ... two of the current LFO's are global... I don't understand why they did not make three LFO's per voice since the synth has 3 oscillators...

Isn't the dual filter mode new? There are 4 LEDs next to the filter knob instead of 3.

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 01:37:21 PM »
It's probably easier to see from this angle:

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 02:08:12 PM »

Isn't the dual filter mode new? There are 4 LEDs next to the filter knob instead of 3.

Yes... I missed that feature, but it's not clear how it actually works... maybe it's something they can actually do by configuring the filter already in the PEAK in a new way... it does have both a 12 and 24 db mode with all filter types, so it may be that it's actually two cascaded 12db filters that make up the filter in PEAK, and that when it is in 12db mode one of the filters is simply "turned off"... maybe they can configure two filters (dual filter) this way, I don't know... but if it is what I just wrote, then a simple OS update for PEAK could do the same thing.

It also COULD be a new hardware feature, and then SUMMIT would simply be backwards compatible, while PEAK will not be able to achieve this filter type... guess we'll just have to wait and see :) ... anyway it's almost certain that I'm getting a SUMMIT even if it has keys on it.. i want that synth! ... then I'll simply have to find a space for it anyway :)

OceanMachine

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 03:23:13 PM »
I'm looking for a knobby wavetable synth that's not ridiculously expensive, but can't find any examples that are all that interesting as far as the Peak is concerned, even after the update. The much cheaper Blofeld (which granted has been out much longer) blows it out of the water in that regard from what I've heard online and even despite not being the quality of the former. Everything about the Peak seems like it should be up to the task, although perhaps the timbrality (or lack thereof) has to do with it falling short... Being bi-timbral should help a bit I'm sure.

The Super 6, Summit, and hopefully soon to be announced Sequential digital front-end synth certainly have my attention.

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 06:30:37 PM »
I'm looking for a knobby wavetable synth that's not ridiculously expensive, but can't find any examples that are all that interesting as far as the Peak is concerned, even after the update. The much cheaper Blofeld (which granted has been out much longer) blows it out of the water in that regard from what I've heard online and even despite not being the quality of the former. Everything about the Peak seems like it should be up to the task, although perhaps the timbrality (or lack thereof) has to do with it falling short... Being bi-timbral should help a bit I'm sure.

The Super 6, Summit, and hopefully soon to be announced Sequential digital front-end synth certainly have my attention.

This! So much this! I’m just missing an unapologetically digital synth to compliment my analog synths and sample based synths. FM sounds, Wavetables etc. I had my eye on the Roland System 8 for a while but wanted to hold off to see what the market would bring. It looks like this year will be the year of a lot of options. Still...we don’t know Sequential is doing a pure digital front end synth...it could be something completely unexpected.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 12:40:47 AM »

I'm rather certain that PEAK is able to kick the Blofeld out of the game, especially when it comes to the audio quality... the Blofeld is a bandlimited 48Khz machine, PEAK is running at 24MHz internally... I can tell you that aliasing is not even present to my ears on the PEAK when using the wavetables even.

I've had the Blofeld, and never liked the Waldorf digital sound (only when they introduce analog filters I get interested).

If you have not heard anything that impress you about the PEAK, it's probably because no one has made sounds that would impress you, that is my bet... the only advantage I see to the Blofeld is that you can create your own wavetables.

If you compare to the older Microwaves, these ooze with biting aliasing... if that's what you want (many do), then that may be why you do not like the PEAKs near perfect wavetable quality... but I'm certain that this can be emulated on PEAK with a simple aliasing algorithm in the OS.

but then again... people have different tastes... but for me, the best Wavetable synths out there are PEAK and QUANTUM. Followed closely by the Microwave 1 which has analog filters.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 12:44:06 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 03:20:15 AM »

Is it dual or have they added a notch shape?

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 03:23:14 AM »

Dual according to the brochure above. No mention of notch mode.

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 05:25:37 AM »

Dual according to the brochure above. No mention of notch mode.

So it does! I missed that.

By the way, yes, I’m up for meeting up tomorrow. It’s shaping up to be a pretty exciting day. 

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 06:38:10 AM »
By the way, yes, I’m up for meeting up tomorrow. It’s shaping up to be a pretty exciting day.

I sent you a PM.

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 07:59:54 AM »

I sent you a PM.

Received and replied with my number.

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 08:02:40 AM »

It’ll be interesting to see if that is the case or whether voices are freely assignable. I also wonder if there’s polyphonic unison.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 02:22:37 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsFiA-XFtBQ&fbclid=IwAR26OKP4xkNeXbDbu5OESU3Z6l6xVFERWdWEXxjm-9HOOYoQQZ6uijgXzJc

It seems that it can allocate the voices, and is not hardwired like the REV2... if you look at the assignment LEDs in this video, they change color (red/blue) depending on what part a voice is playing, and both top and bottom row can be both colors.

I'm REALLY hooked on this thing... think this will definitely be my next purchase... Guess I'll have to change plans on how many keyboards I have in my studio... probably will get a 4 synth stand instead of two tabletop module stands... those darn keybeds!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 02:24:21 PM by Razmo »

OceanMachine

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 07:16:05 PM »
especially when it comes to the audio quality...
That is what I said. 

Anyhow, the Summit seems like a good middle ground for those with only one synth. I have all the VCO goodness I need, therefore I'm looking for a gloriously digital (albeit knobby) synth. Unless you can point me to some examples of the Peak's wavetable capabilities sounding as out there as the Blofeld for example, then perhaps you would like to post an example of your own instead. It would certainly speak louder than mere words.

P.S. Thanks in advanced if you decide to take up my request.  ;)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 01:38:40 AM »
especially when it comes to the audio quality...
That is what I said. 

Anyhow, the Summit seems like a good middle ground for those with only one synth. I have all the VCO goodness I need, therefore I'm looking for a gloriously digital (albeit knobby) synth. Unless you can point me to some examples of the Peak's wavetable capabilities sounding as out there as the Blofeld for example, then perhaps you would like to post an example of your own instead. It would certainly speak louder than mere words.

P.S. Thanks in advanced if you decide to take up my request.  ;)

Maybe if you give me some links to the wavetable sound you like, it would be more of a challenge for me, because then I have a reference point if I decide to take you up on the request :)

I definitely feel that the PEAK is up there with the Blofeld though... the only disadvantage is that you cannot create your own wavetables (at least not yet) ... if you compare the sound of the Wavetables with Blofeld and the earlier 8bit waveforms of the Microwaves, the major difference is that the Blofeld is much smoother, has greater bit depth in the waveforms and has better anti aliasing algorithms.

With PEAK it's the same, but the high 24Mhz FPGA speed of processing completely eliminates aliasing and other artifacts in especially the higher pitch range, something that is not the case with the Microwaves for example... especially when the waveforms have many high harmonics in them... on Microwaves the sound gets really harsh and digital... I think they solve this somewhat on the Blofeld via bandlimiting or something, but Blofeld does not run at 24MHz speed internally... on most digital synths (also non wavetable) I often hear aliasing in the higher registers... but not with PEAK because of the high internal sample rate... if I choose a harmonically rich wavetable (like a pitched noise waveform), then when I play higher and higher, I hear no aliasing... on some waveforms instead the volume start to drop out, but rather that, than a bunch of hissy screaming aliasing noise.

even though PEAK has now got 60 wavetables, I'd still like to be able to create my own, or rather be able to select the five waveforms that PEAK internally is morphing between, from an internal bank of waveforms... that would allow more timbral variations, and still not make it overly important to import you own waveforms... say... an internal ROM bank of 256 waveforms where you could choose the five you want to morph between...

So there is still room for improvement regarding wavetables on PEAK... for sure... but the audio quality I have no problem with, that's for sure :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:50:12 AM by Razmo »