Novation SUMMIT ?

Re: Novation SUMMIT ?
« Reply #160 on: October 27, 2021, 09:50:52 PM »
Johans121,    Look at my Aug 2nd post above- it describes the basic alternate stereo spread setup on Summit.  Not sure there's another way.

I checked out the post and I have to say that either there is a major misunderstanding on my part or what I think was described is simply the indented usage of the Aux outputs.

I read it two ways
1) sending part A to the main outs and part B to the Aux outs.

2) taking one of the stereo outputs from the main output and feeding it into an input and then sending that through the Aux output or something like that. I have to admit I don’t know what this would buy you.

Anyway I tested the stereo functionality based on what I think would be typical usage. Here are my impressions
1) One patch, setting voice spread to max:
   - if you engage one voice that voice is sent to both L & R channels.
   - if you engage a second voice after releasing the first one, it also is sent to both channels
   - if you continue to engage the first voice, which is sent to both channels, every subsequent voice engaged is sent to alternating channels.

2) routing part A to main and part B to aux.
    - this works as you would expect in stereo, per output pair, and in mono. If you are outputting mono from the main and mono from Aux you can obviously pan that manually however you wish within a mixer.

3) you can also route the effects from part A and Part B separately from the source between main and Aux. meaning if you want to you can send Part A and Part A Fx to main and part B and part B Fx to aux. Or send both Part A & B to main and the Part A Fx & B Fx to Aux, etc.

Overall I think the stereo output sounds fantastic through the effects. The onboard panning via the spread function is alright but nothing special. Routing the individual parts and/or their effects works as expected. Ultimately if you have a mixer you can do whatever you want with the signals.

If I failed to address your use case let me know and I’ll try again.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #161 on: October 28, 2021, 10:12:53 AM »
Gee, did I forget to mention a mixer?  The whole point of sending each layer out through a different pair of jacks is to run them into a mixer and then pan there there.  Maybe now I'm clear.

« Reply #162 on: October 28, 2021, 01:40:31 PM »
Gee, did I forget to mention a mixer?  The whole point of sending each layer out through a different pair of jacks is to run them into a mixer and then pan there there.  Maybe now I'm clear.

If you are using a mixer then I would have to say your original concern regarding the Summit and stereo output isn't really an issue. As mentioned in my last post not only can you route the output from each bi-timberal part individually to main or aux outputs you can also route the effects for each part separately. It is an easy straight forward process to do so.

Example 1)
Part A and Part A Fx >>> Main Outputs
Part B and Part B Fx >>> Aux Outputs

Example 2)
Part A and Part B           >>> Main Outputs
Part A Fx and Part B Fx >>> Aux Outputs

Example 3)
Part A and Part B Fx >>> Main Outputs
Part B and Part A Fx >>> Aux Outputs

etc...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #163 on: October 28, 2021, 02:11:05 PM »
That would be a bingo!  I've never heard it done in a demonstration, but it must be glorious.

I have a suspicion that Novation was thinking of Dave Smith when they added this back panel design.  There are precious few synthesizers that offer it. 

« Reply #164 on: October 28, 2021, 10:16:31 PM »
That would be a bingo!  I've never heard it done in a demonstration, but it must be glorious.

I have a suspicion that Novation was thinking of Dave Smith when they added this back panel design.  There are precious few synthesizers that offer it.

Who knows? I think that the Summit was a well thought out instrument in terms of features. The end product is pretty good minus the few caveats that I mentioned earlier.

If you want me to try anything else or have any other questions, let me know.

In the meantime I’m gonna crawl back in my cave and pray that Dave Smith will release an Evolver Mk2 so I can have another reason to cash my Juno60 in.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #165 on: October 30, 2021, 09:13:49 AM »
Yes, that would be nice.  But I imagine a PEK Mk II would end up being and sounding quite different from the original.  Just my hunch.

jg666

« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2021, 01:56:45 AM »
I've also been searching around for Summit videos recently and not finding many. There is someone who has done a few short videos here:-

https://www.youtube.com/user/pjamesbridge/videos

Not sure if you've already seen those and he's not done a new video for a couple of months, but there could be things you could ask him?
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2021, 07:09:05 AM »
Thanks, Jg.  I'll take a look through those later.  The videos I often find the deepest and most musical are those by Daniel Fisher.  This short demo is typical, and I found it the most helpful:

jg666

« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2021, 07:56:24 AM »
Agreed Daniel is always worth watching
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #169 on: November 03, 2021, 08:13:25 AM »
That's because he was trained as an organist.  ;D

« Reply #170 on: November 10, 2021, 08:53:00 PM »
I see no real need to get a P12 in any way... the dual timbrality [of SUMMIT] and the 16 voices would kill the P12 in my view...

I know this is an old thread, but someone has to stand up for the Prophet 12....  The P12 is one killer synth!!  I don't need any more than 10 voices on a non-piano keyboard.    ;)   The module version is probably the most compact 12 voices you can get, and the hybrid digital/analog architecture sounds soooo good.  And the built-in distortion just screams....  Love it, love it, love it....    ;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2021, 03:11:59 PM »
I totally agree.  I would have preferred a Prophet 12 too.  It's just that I'd prefer an instrument that's still in production.  But there's no argument here between a Summit and a P12.

jg666

« Reply #172 on: November 14, 2021, 01:52:20 AM »
Just stumbled upon another Summit video I'd not seen before.. once again, apologies if you've already seen this but it does look as though he is wanting to explore the depths of the synth so might be a useful source of information.

« Reply #173 on: November 14, 2021, 02:11:52 AM »
Just stumbled upon another Summit video I'd not seen before.. once again, apologies if you've already seen this but it does look as though he is wanting to explore the depths of the synth so might be a useful source of information.

Calc works for Novation and did a fairly in-depth series on the various sections. of Summit.

jg666

« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2021, 03:52:20 AM »
Aha that explains why he knows so much about it  ;D

Thanks for the info, I'll check out some more of his videos.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #175 on: April 03, 2022, 11:46:30 AM »
Fabulous news:

Firmware v2.0 Features

Stereo
New spread modes, panning per voice, and panning in the mod matrix give additional control and allows for sound design in the stereo field. Now you can create bigger, wider, and more intricately textured soundscapes.

Modulation and unpredictability
Create deeper and more experimental sounds with new mod destinations, noise as a mod source, and additional LFO 3 and 4 parameters. Animate Envelopes and Arpeggiator Chance open more creative performance possibilities.

Effects
New effects, including Chorus Modes, Flanger, and Phlanger add new tonalities. Additional effects modulation destinations open up more experimental sound design. A new Lo-Fi delay mode enables a more vintage style sound.

Bug Fixes
The firmware update v2.0 includes a number of bug fixes. The full details can be found in the release notes.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 11:51:06 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

jok3r

« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2022, 04:33:59 AM »
Thats a very cool update. I was waiting for this stereo capabilities for a very long time now. That was the biggest flaw of this synth for me until now.

The animate envelopes are very nice, too. I didn't use these buttons very much, but now that I can smooth out the changes I surely will give it a try.

I have to update as soon as possible.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

jg666

« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2022, 01:35:14 AM »
I believe it is possible to use the Summit as an effects processor for other synths? If so is it easy to do this?

I was going to buy a Strymon Big Sky but if I can achieve similar via a synth then this might be a possibility instead :)

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2022, 12:53:16 PM »
I believe it is possible to use the Summit as an effects processor for other synths? If so is it easy to do this?

I'm pretty sure the most important point here is if there is an "External Audio Input" on the synth (any synth).
And then, where that plug/input gets inserted into the path / signal chain of the synth.
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2022, 02:08:17 PM »

I was going to buy a Strymon Big Sky but if I can achieve similar via a synth then this might be a possibility instead :)

from the Novation Summit page itself:

"Audio in and auxiliary audio out

Hook up external instruments for processing with Summit’s onboard effects, while using it as a synth at the same time."