Novation SUMMIT ?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Novation SUMMIT ?
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2020, 02:32:55 PM »
My problem is finding examples of it online that really showcase the digital side of its nature. We know it can do convincing analog tones, but I want to hear things that would not be possible with strictly analog gear or at least has its own character. I mean, it was pretty darn apparent even at the time during the 80s and 90s what the "fashion" of the decade was. Even if I tried to pinpoint it now, the fashion of the aughts (and 10s), would be no fashion at all. That's what I fear with the Peak/Summit. As I've said in another thread, I played an Esoniq ESQ-1 the other day and was immediately charmed by its character, which is something modern day equivalents seem to lack.

Esq-1 is one very special sounding synth... I remember it clearly when I had it... It's just those dirty sample oscillators thru those CEM chips with lots of dirstorting gain stages that make it sound really organnic and special... what I call TRUE HYBRID SOUND (which few synths has that are hybrid).
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2020, 02:36:46 PM »
I think the "problem" is that each instrument has such a plethora of capabilities now that they all sound the same because they all do everything.  Companies has given us what we wanted, and now we feel it's too much.  An instrument will have a character or personality due to what it cannot do, which will then limit it to a distinctive and recognizable sonic range.  A one-trick-pony could be a refreshing item in the midst of this abundance.

Exactly why I dropped the search for synths that would cover the few % QUANTUM does not... I found I don't need more flexibility, just more of the same to layer with Quantum for more complexity... still, no matter if all synth is equaly flexible, they all have something that dets them appart anyway, so it is just about finding those synths that you gel with.

To me PEAK was almost perfect when I had it... only problem being 8 voices... SUMMIT fixes that, and gives all those filter routings on top...

OceanMachine

« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2020, 02:42:08 PM »
Esq-1 is one very special sounding synth... I remember it clearly when I had it... It's just those dirty sample oscillators thru those CEM chips with lots of dirstorting gain stages that make it sound really organnic and special... what I call TRUE HYBRID SOUND (which few synths has that are hybrid).

Had the one I tried not been in awful condition, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2020, 03:10:41 PM »
Video of Summit

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2020, 05:25:08 PM »
Found a demo that really shows off what the Summit can do.  Nicely done.

I really like the sounds coming out of this synth.

LoboLives

« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2020, 12:28:53 PM »
You know I was really starting to warm up to the Summit but honestly I really miss having an onboard sequencer. I know that might not be a big deal to people but just having the ability to have each piece of gear sequence itself rather than rely on a master sequencer is really inspiring. I actually decided to go for the Roland System 8 over the HydraSynth and Summit.

OceanMachine

« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2020, 01:46:51 PM »
The place I pre-ordered the Summit from has officially closed. I ended up doing a complete 180º on the Wave 2 and put my money down elsewhere on that instead. After finally really giving some Lead demos a listen, I came to the conclusion that Nord offers the exact type of digital sounds I've been looking for.

jg666

« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2020, 12:37:34 AM »
I keep watching reviews of the Summit but then there's one thing that keeps putting me off, the fact that I can't see my envelopes on screen. The Pro2 has spoiled me in that respect and I really miss seeing the shape on screen when using other synths.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2020, 03:19:39 AM »
You know I was really starting to warm up to the Summit but honestly I really miss having an onboard sequencer. I know that might not be a big deal to people but just having the ability to have each piece of gear sequence itself rather than rely on a master sequencer is really inspiring. I actually decided to go for the Roland System 8 over the HydraSynth and Summit.

All have a few shortcomings, and they even vary from user to user  ;)

For me it is the lacking note/mod sequencer, and the fact that neither PEAK or SUMMUT havde a dedicated pan position parameter, only a spread function a bit like the SEQUENTIAL ones... Other than those nithing really.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 03:21:40 AM by Razmo »

Shaw

« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2020, 05:49:34 AM »

Lobo, find one at a dealer a play it first.   The System 8 sounds fine, but the keybed feels like a toy.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

OceanMachine

« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2020, 09:43:20 AM »
I've never really been a fan of it, but Roland touted ACB technology so hard that I presumed it would sound better than Zen-Core, which I assumed was simply less DSP intensive to add to the voice count. However, at least from the online comparisons that are up atm, the X/Xm clearly sounds more nuanced/authentic to my ears at least. It would be interesting to do the comparison in person if possible.

LoboLives

« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2020, 10:52:59 PM »

Lobo, find one at a dealer a play it first.   The System 8 sounds fine, but the keybed feels like a toy.

Before the pandemic I actually tried one out in Toronto here. Keybed isn't great and the whole thing feels like plastic BUT the sound is still something special to me. Hard to place it really. It's the FM oscillators, the multiple filters and the interface that really just brings it home for me. I think too many people obviously use it to try and emulate the Jupiter and Juno synths but I have no interest in that. It's the System 8 engine where you'll find it's distinct voice. It's metallic but not overly harsh, it's cold but not brittle. I think it'll be the perfect synth to compliment my Prophet 6 and Prophet X.

« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2020, 03:45:24 AM »
Hello out there,

First post in Sequential Forum.

I have a Summit on order since November 2019 (the delivery date is constantly being pushed back).

I bought in the meantime a Pro3 which is absolutely phenomenal.

Time goes by and I wonder if waiting for the Summit is justified, knowing that I could for almost the same budget buy a Peak and a Rev2, whose keyboard quality seems much better than the Summit.

What advice could you give me?
Cancel the Summit order and go with the Rev2+Peak combo?

The choices are so hard...

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

S.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 03:48:47 AM by synthury »

jok3r

« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2020, 03:56:27 AM »
Time goes by and I wonder if waiting for the Summit is justified, knowing that I could for almost the same budget buy a Peak and a Rev2, whose keyboard quality seems much better than the Summit.

I don't know where you're living, but the costs of a Rev2-8 and a PEAK are still about 800 € higher than what a Summit costs where I am living.

As an Rev2-16 and PEAK owner, I would not trade them for a Summit. They sound very good together and yes, the keybed of the Rev2 is far better than that of the Summit.

The only interesting thing of the Summit is the more advanced filter, with routing options, etc. ... but if you don't need that, I would go with the combination of the other two and definitely choose the Rev2-16. Even though it's a lot more pricey then.

Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2020, 10:05:30 AM »
Synthury,

It depends on what you want to do. To me the main issue in your predicament would be deciphering whether or not sequencing is that important to you.  If not,  then the Summit is a very wide range synth that I would think could cover REV2 territory.   I had looked at getting a REV2, but I was already overdosing in sequencers ;)

I'm not sure I agree with some of the comments about the keybed  being bad or having a "plastic" feel.   From my perspective there is nothing about the build on this synth that feels cheaply that way to me.  I'm comparing it to other brands I have and the DSI line I've owned.  It's all relative to each person I guess.  I know piano players like a stiffer heavier key.  Whereas I never played piano, so I do not.

I should mention that I was pretty critical of the Summit aftertouch at first, but have since learned some of that was my own fault in programming it.  I mean its still a little stiff,  but not much more so than many other synths.   I noticed if you place fingers in middle of key, versus the ends, there's a better response.  Its interesting , because I'm always disappointed in AT response on each of the instruments I've had, with exception of the PO8 and DM12.  Its entirely due to the keybed apparently, as when I hook up the Linn controller they all seem to respond well.

In general, the Summit is warming on me.  I'm starting to figure out what it's niche might be (for me).  I think big pads, dreamy voicey stuff too.  Novation absolutely needs to modify the ability to create multi-layered patches though, whereas you can flip layer A/B with each other.  Also you should be able to import any single patch from elsewhere in the instrument memory to a multi layer patch.  This does not seem to be possible which is crazy.  in fact, so bothersome that you cant even copy layer B to layer A (from what I can figure out) that I haven't even been motivated to do multi- layer patches yet!  P12 has a much better grasp in this regard.  I would think an Summit OS update might fix this oversight.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

OceanMachine

« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2020, 01:03:59 PM »

Once again, incredible support by Novation! I wish more companies would take a page out of their book...  ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 01:38:55 PM by A Thousand Eyes »

jok3r

« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2020, 02:54:31 PM »
That's really a great addition. And I'm happy they implemented it for the PEAK, too. Can't wait to do the update...
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2020, 03:34:05 PM »
I agree.  That is a nice update.  Novation really wants my money doesn't it?  And to think I was going to be frugal (as well as lack of desk space) and was thinking of getting a Minilogue Xd. 

« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2020, 10:05:45 AM »
 Despite already having this instrument, this addition came as a big surprise to me and really added an interest level.   Its what I've been seeking out for years now: a hardware synth that can import wave forms and ability to do that from any audio files without jumping thru hoops or multiple software.  Their wavetable editor is really easy to use and has some nice other things it can do...like additive harmonics and phase alteration.    last night I had mimicked a celtic harp from an audio file in like two minutes.  Almost feel like I'm cheating now with wave input being so easy ;)  You can sample different parts of the audio file by moving a cursor over it.  So, like on a clarinet, you can get the breathy attack as well as the drone.  Then use your misc. envelope to slide thru the subtle differences when you key it.

When I gotten the P12, I had always hoped that there would someday be an editor that would have the ability to swap out one of the on-board digital wave forms with user ones.  But that time seems to have come and went.  I had even considered looking at the PX for this ability, but that was more of a sampling deal which I didn't want to get into, or not yet at least.  Then there was Super 6 that had said they would offer this ability to import wave forms, but then I got tired of their videos repeating the same ole thing, yet nothing mentioning about that part of the product.  So I resolved to just stay content with my PEK, since that was the only means I had to import user waveforms in my quest to mimic various sounds.  As much as I loved PEK for this, it was limited in the audio replication ability of the digital oscillators on the higher end especially.  Just might need to make it down to the frog pond this weekend and record some spring peepers to start off my wave form library  :D

LoboLives

« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2020, 12:13:34 PM »

Once again, incredible support by Novation! I wish more companies would take a page out of their book...  ;)

In regards to the ability to import samples, does this mean the audio sample is converted to a Wavetable or is it the raw sample that’s imported?