Low Frequency Expander for OB6, Prophet 6 etc.

magikroom

• www.geosynths.com
    • GEOSynths
Low Frequency Expander for OB6, Prophet 6 etc.
« on: May 05, 2019, 12:28:14 AM »
I heard about a "Box" that was being developed that could add extra Modulation Functionality (Envelope, Sequencer and 3 LFO's) to the OB6, Prophet 6 and potentially others and was interested.  Not that there is anything wrong with how these instruments are, one knob per function is great for programming quickly, though as a Sound Designer and working on other Synths like the REV 2 and Prophet 12, I'd go back to the OB6 (which is my favourite Synth BTW) and want to do something that I'd worked out on the REV 2 and remember that I couldn't.

So I contacted Steve, who has developed it and he popped over to my Studio and I did a little review of it.  My learning curve was at the same time as doing the review, so is pretty easy to grasp.  I have nothing to do with the company on any financial basis, only a discount on one of the next Batch...I just thought it was an interesting idea.

Yes, you can use Software to do it, but the thing is, it stores it on the LFE with your Patch settings, so can be recalled for each of your 500+ Patches on the Synth.

Anyway, here's the review, might be of interest to some - https://www.facebook.com/yoricktech

Thanks

Jamie
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:34:00 AM by magikroom »
GEOSynths - Fresh, new sounds for DSI Prophet REV2 (Vol 1 & 2) - Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB6 (Volume 1 & 2)  Novation PEAK - Behringer DeepMind 12 (Vol 1 & 2) - Korg Prologue - Korg KingKorg - Nord Lead A1 - Roland System 8 & Roland Cloud.

OceanMachine

Re: Low Frequency Expander for OB6, Prophet 6 etc.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 12:50:55 AM »
Nice, I'd def buy one if it had the functionality of sorting the patches by categories as well. 

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 01:21:15 AM »
I actually had a hand in helping suggest the feature set on this beauty(the midi patch storage integration to make it like a true expander, cv and more).  I'll be picking up one myself. 8)  Damn, you got a discount for posting a video?...hell my ideas that went into it and I didn't get no stinkin' discount.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 01:24:51 AM by John01W »

magikroom

• www.geosynths.com
    • GEOSynths
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 01:40:01 AM »
I actually had a hand in helping suggest the feature set on this beauty(the midi patch storage integration to make it like a true expander, cv and more).  I'll be picking up one myself. 8)  Damn, you got a discount for posting a video?...hell my ideas that went into it and I didn't get no stinkin' discount.

Did you ask?  To be fair though, I spent 2.5 days working on the video, that’s 2.5 days i’m not working.  4 Cameras, separate audio and then editing, takes a lot these reviews.  That said, it has to be viable for him to do it otherwise, what’s the point.
GEOSynths - Fresh, new sounds for DSI Prophet REV2 (Vol 1 & 2) - Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB6 (Volume 1 & 2)  Novation PEAK - Behringer DeepMind 12 (Vol 1 & 2) - Korg Prologue - Korg KingKorg - Nord Lead A1 - Roland System 8 & Roland Cloud.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 01:55:15 AM »

Did you ask?  To be fair though, I spent 2.5 days working on the video, that’s 2.5 days i’m not working.  4 Cameras, separate audio and then editing, takes a lot these reviews.  That said, it has to be viable for him to do it otherwise, what’s the point.
I know it takes a lot to do those videos, people take for granted how much goes into them.  Really I'm happy the unit is coming into fruition at all, so I don't take it for granted.....but given that some of my ideas went into the thing(the ideas that make it actually integrate with the synth it's expanding like patch memories and more) it's feels bad to be cut off and at the end of the queue, something would have been nice .....I just couldn't come up with the money fast enough, just got a couple of synths out of the shop....no one's fault really.  No harshness, but feels wrong to miss out.  Wish all the best.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 01:58:05 AM by John01W »

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 02:09:19 AM »
Nice, I'd def buy one if it had the functionality of sorting the patches by categories as well.

It switches with the synth like it's integrated.  You push patch button on the OB-6 and it changes with the synth....it's like a true expander that way.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 04:31:44 AM »
John, I've PM'd you offering a discount in recognition of your valuable input.  You're first in the queue in Batch 2 and if I can scrape enough bits together during Batch 1 I'll let you know, but no promises. 

I've also offered Geosynths a discount in recognition of the splendid video and all the hours he put in, but he's not taken me up on the offer yet.  I'm sure he will  ;-)

Also if you want one very cheap you can buy the prototype for £100 plus postage and duty, which is about the value of the components I could rescue from it.  It's the one Geosynths reviewed and is a bit scratched and imperfect and the wooden ends have been removed and its software won't be upgraded in future as it's incompatible, and it won't be warrantied because it's very second hand, but it's an offer of a cheap one if you (or anyone) wants it.  John first refusal.

Yorick

magikroom

• www.geosynths.com
    • GEOSynths
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 06:05:52 AM »
Forgot to link the Video - Doh!  https://youtu.be/kUI3dMwPSyU

Shaw

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 07:21:38 AM »
John, I've PM'd you offering a discount in recognition of your valuable input.  You're first in the queue in Batch 2 and if I can scrape enough bits together during Batch 1 I'll let you know, but no promises. 

I've also offered Geosynths a discount in recognition of the splendid video and all the hours he put in, but he's not taken me up on the offer yet.  I'm sure he will  ;-)

Also if you want one very cheap you can buy the prototype for £100 plus postage and duty, which is about the value of the components I could rescue from it.  It's the one Geosynths reviewed and is a bit scratched and imperfect and the wooden ends have been removed and its software won't be upgraded in future as it's incompatible, and it won't be warrantied because it's very second hand, but it's an offer of a cheap one if you (or anyone) wants it.  John first refusal.

Yorick
How can I get in line on the next batch?  You’d probably get more people in by posting the details here in the OB-6 forum.
This looks like killer work by the way. Congrats!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 07:36:40 AM »
Thanks Shaw :)
 If you message me though my facebook page I will add you to the next batch and let you know when the order books are opening again. 

https://www.facebook.com/yoricktech

Regards
Yorick

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 12:22:00 PM »

Yorick

Thank you Steve, so awesome of you....PM'd at GS)

Shaw

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 08:10:50 PM »
Just curious.  will the LFE allow for sharing "presets"?  So if GeoSynths does another preset bank, and he programs the LFE as a part of that bank of sounds, can both the OB-6 and LFE presets be distributed together?

Thanks!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 12:54:31 AM »
This can be done through a firmware upgrade, so Geosynths would give me the patches and I would build them into the next firmware version.  These patches would therefore be available to all users.
Alternatively I could give a patch transfer program to selected users which puts the new patches in a Bank in the LFE only for selected users.
I plan to provide a midi sysex dump/load facility but haven't started it yet.
Patches are simply stored in text files on a microSD card in the LFE so if you're keen you can open the case and remove the card and plug it into a PC/Mac and move/copy patch files around easily.

sofine

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 03:31:22 AM »
Hi, any idea whn the next batch of the expander might be available?

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 07:14:35 AM »
Are they all designed with the OB6 aesthetics or do you have one for the Prophet 6 aesthetics as well?

Shaw

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 07:19:35 AM »
Are they all designed with the OB6 aesthetics or do you have one for the Prophet 6 aesthetics as well?
From my conversations with Yorick (and if I remember correctly), his current production all has the OB-6 aesthetics, but he is putting together a list of people interested in a P6 styled LFE for a possible future production run.

You should contact him directly through his FB page.

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 12:44:23 AM »
Steve of Yorick Tech Ltd Here!

I never got enough P6 owners interested and couldn't find a suitable knob that matches well enough, so at the moment have no plans for a P6 version.  Sequential wouldn't sell me any knobs :(

The OB-6-style LFE controls the P6 just as well as it controls the OB-6 and it has presets (4 x 1000) per synth so you can easily switch back and forth between the two synths.

I'm currently taking deposits for Batch 2 which is 20 units.  Contact me via /www.facebook.com/yoricktech if interested.

maNŒuvre

• That which cannot be put into words...
    • Music
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 06:16:21 PM »
Wow. Nice. Wish I had the lira for this for a Prophet 6 version...
'Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent.' Victor Hugo

OceanMachine

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 07:01:26 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYcBrYvZEhY

I'm in line for the 4th batch. :)

Well done, Channelizer!

Shaw

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 02:39:48 PM »
I have an LFE (Oberheim Style) for sale if anyone is interested.

PM me.