Feature Request - snd CC# from all knobs

Feature Request - snd CC# from all knobs
« on: March 01, 2016, 07:26:37 PM »
currently, on the pro 2 usin 1.1.15, several knobs don'tsnd midi when midi out is set to CC.    ENV 2 Amount, Filter 2 Cutoff, and filter routings are a couple that come to mind.   they send NRPNs fine. 

the issue is when set to CC and local is OFF, those knobs are dead.  using NRNs in ableton is really cumbersome, so CCs are preferable, but the knobs that dont work are really annoying.

thanks, d

Re: Feature Request - snd CC# from all knobs
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 11:12:55 AM »
to expand on this, it seems like any knob that isnt also on the Prophet 12 doesnt send midi.   I assume they share the same code base. 

So this means that when CC is activated, and LOCAL is set to OFF, filter 2 doesnt work, nor do any of the knobs that arent included on the prophet 12.   Makes things difficult. 

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 11:24:54 AM »
Well, as you know there are more parameters on the synth than available CC numbers and it is the reason that NRPN numbers are existing. If you look at the manual you will see that you have about 250 parameters that are candidate for CC (quick approx 1024 NRPN - sequencer related - Modulation related).
So, they had to make compromises to select some of them for CC.
What would you like to do in Ableton? Classical automation of some parameters?
RT Accelerator | DSI Pro 2 | Moog Sub 37 | Waldorf Blofeld |  Korg Volca FM | Korg Radias x2 | Yamaha Motif ES8 | Source Audio Ventris | TC Electronics M350 | Behringer Xenix X1622USB

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 01:12:10 PM »
Well, as you know there are more parameters on the synth than available CC numbers and it is the reason that NRPN numbers are existing. If you look at the manual you will see that you have about 250 parameters that are candidate for CC (quick approx 1024 NRPN - sequencer related - Modulation related).
So, they had to make compromises to select some of them for CC.
What would you like to do in Ableton? Classical automation of some parameters?

I do get that, but frankly, the fact that there are knobs present on the device that dont actually WORK when the synth is set to CC and local off is just silly. 

what do I want to do?   I want to draw a filter sweep of filter 2 in ableton and have it work.   

I get that all parameters would be more than the available midi cc#s, but the knobs on the panel should at least work. 

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 01:14:15 PM »
Filter 2 cutoff works from CC doesn't it?

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 02:11:34 PM »
Filter 2 cutoff works from CC doesn't it?

not for me with the latest OS, and control send set to CC. 

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 02:18:02 PM »
Works fine here 1.1.5

CC 106

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 04:28:39 PM »
Works fine here 1.1.5

CC 106

Ok, sorry, wrong example.  I was at work.

the knobs on the Pro 2 that don't send midi are:

delay time 1
LFO FREQ 1-4
Amount 1-4
Shape 1-4
Destination 1-4
Mod Amount
Step Value
Slew
External input level
Filter Routing
Envelope Amount 2
Envelope Attack 2
Envelope Decay 2
Envelope Sustain 2
Envelope Release 2

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 04:52:27 PM »
To be clear, those parameters do send MIDI messages, just not Control Change messages. As others have mentioned, there are for more parameters on our synths than the official MIDI spec has room for with CC messages. NRPNs are used for exactly this reason, otherwise you'd be missing out on a lot of communicable MIDI data.

You'll need to find a workaround for using NRPNs if you want full integration with the Pro 2, we will be adhering to the official MIDI spec so the parameters you speak of will never be sent over CC.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 07:37:44 AM »
The main problem is really Ableton live.

Ableton seem to think NRPNS, poly aftertouch, multiple midi channels and sysex are not needed!

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 09:44:16 AM »
To be clear, those parameters do send MIDI messages, just not Control Change messages. As others have mentioned, there are for more parameters on our synths than the official MIDI spec has room for with CC messages. NRPNs are used for exactly this reason, otherwise you'd be missing out on a lot of communicable MIDI data.

You'll need to find a workaround for using NRPNs if you want full integration with the Pro 2, we will be adhering to the official MIDI spec so the parameters you speak of will never be sent over CC.

There's no reason some of them could be added.   according to the manual, these CC#s are free, and they aren't reserved for any other midi spec function.

114  filter routing
115 env amount 2
116 attack 2
117 decay 2
118 sustain 2
119 release 2
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:02:03 AM by xparis001 »

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 09:50:17 AM »
BUMP!
Strange that Envelope 2 can't send any CC#s.
I understand there is a limited amount of CC#s available, but might as well use up that entire limitation.
And if there are a couple more left to use for just one LFO -  freq + amount, that'd be nice too.
Using Pro 2 to control Repro-5 is a lot of fun, but the LFO section is vacant in this regard.