Unison Mode: Retrigger Amp Envelope Question

chexg

Unison Mode: Retrigger Amp Envelope Question
« on: April 29, 2019, 05:01:54 AM »
Hi,
I've been using Rev2 (16-voice; v1.1.5.9) off and on for about a year now and have been enjoying creating patches for it. I was attempting to create a massive unison patch (stacked patch of sawtooth oscillators spanning many low and high octaves) with a slow attack and release time, and I was observing unwanted behavior in how the amp envelope retriggers.

I'll explain some of my rev2 settings and then ask my question.

Key Mode = LastR
Unison: 8 voices
Unison detune: 2
Osc1 = sawtooth
Osc1 Freq = C5 (I want you to observe in the high register)

Amp_env_attack = 110 (slow attack time)
Amp_env_decay = 127
Amp_env_sus = 127
Amp_env_release = 95 (slow release time)

Observe Behavior: Please hold the third C from the left of the keyboard. Now tap the C one-octave below and observe how the amp envelope does not retrigger from zero amplitude, but creates an unwanted loud click and instantly changes to the new note without change of volume at all.

Question: In unison mode, is there any way to have the amp envelope retrigger the slow attack (with a long release time as well) when playing a new note after the first note reaches full sustain volume? I would like for it to make a crescendo from zero volume every time I play a new note--regardless of where the previous note was in its envelope cycle.

I hope my question makes sense, and am wondering if I am alone with this problem, or if it's a common complaint. This would be remedied if unison mode had polyphony as well, but I know we've all asked for that :)
Thanks for any help/advice.

panic

Re: Unison Mode: Retrigger Amp Envelope Question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 05:44:24 AM »
Your question is clear, but the answer is: no, I don't think it is possible. What happens is that the envelopes retrigger from the position they are in, and not from zero. This is just the way most analog synths are designed, and (in this case) you cannot change it. The envelopes of the korg minilogue actually work the way you want, they always retrigger from 0 (yet a lot of people complain about it and want it the other way around).

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 10:06:28 PM »
Try using a negative envelope?

+1 for polyphonic unison
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

chexg

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 03:20:33 PM »
Your question is clear, but the answer is: no, I don't think it is possible. What happens is that the envelopes retrigger from the position they are in, and not from zero. This is just the way most analog synths are designed, and (in this case) you cannot change it. The envelopes of the korg minilogue actually work the way you want, they always retrigger from 0 (yet a lot of people complain about it and want it the other way around).

Thanks for the reply!

chexg

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 03:21:08 PM »
Try using a negative envelope?

+1 for polyphonic unison

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll experiment.

panic

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 05:15:36 AM »
The negative env suggestion is a good one, and should work for your application (where you don't need a decay phase) and is fairly simple to set up. I didn't think of that.