Prophet XL keybed..changeable?

Prophet XL keybed..changeable?
« on: April 27, 2019, 01:00:55 PM »
Hi there,

I’m having a hard time getting used to the keybed on my PXL and was thinking if it was possible to change to the same keys as on the PX. I’ve read somewhere that it was basically the same keys, so in theory it should be a question of getting 76 PX keys with springs and change them - or am I wrong? :-)

I’ve also thought about maybe it was better to find someone who wanted to trade it for a prophet-6 or OB-6 with keys I like better and they might be better for lead synth, bass-synth and pads things..but maybe I will miss the many options with LFOs and extra envelopes?

Any thoughts out there to help me figure out what to do? :-)

Have a nice Saturday, cheers from DK!  8)

LoboLives

Re: Prophet XL keybed..changeable?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 01:14:47 PM »
Get a Prophet 6 or OB6 and midi it up to your PXL.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 01:21:35 PM »

That would be amazing, but unfortunately I don’t have that amount of money :-/ ;-)

OceanMachine

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 01:29:57 PM »
The XL uses TP/8 and the X uses TP/9S. Simply replacing the keys sounds out of the question considering you're going to run into various length issues. Supposedly the TP/8 has a "superior" balance point due to the fulcrum sitting further back from the tip.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:14:54 PM by Ocean Machine »

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 02:10:31 PM »
The XL uses TP/8 and the X uses TP/9S. Simply replacing the keys sounds out of the question considering you're going to run into various length issues. Supposedly the TP/8 has the "superior" balance point due to the fulcrum sitting further.

Ah okay :-)

Maybe it’s possible to change the springs to change the feeling? 🤔

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 02:28:00 PM »
The XL uses TP/8 and the X uses TP/9S. Simply replacing the keys sounds out of the question considering you're going to run into various length issues. Supposedly the TP/8 has the "superior" balance point due to the fulcrum sitting further.

What is it exactly that you dislike? The piano action?

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 02:39:23 PM »

What is it exactly that you dislike? The piano action?

I think it’s too stiff.
I’m a piano player - the synth stuff is new to me, so I’m used to the action on grand pianos/upright pianos, and my RD2000. But also liked the action on my old Juno 106 and System 8, I think I like the waterfall’ish feeling better than this stuff spring action 🤔
Does it make sense? I’m sure it’s a matter of taste, and habit - but I’ve used it for 2 months now and still don’t love it... :-)

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 03:21:03 PM »
The keybeds are not interchangeable, the one in the XL is considerably longer in key length.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 04:22:50 PM »

Maybe get a decent, not-too-expensive MIDI controller like the Arturia MKII and hook it up?

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 04:40:23 PM »
I've heard from others who have replaced the stiff spring set with something lighter in other TP/8Piano action keybeds, but it was just the springs that did the trick.  I can't say I'd recommend that kind of surgery on a new instrument but if you're committed to the course of action you might be able to find someone's experience documented online.  I've been quite content to pair the synth action of the Prophet X with a complementary board that has a more hammer-like action.

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 02:42:57 AM »
I've heard from others who have replaced the stiff spring set with something lighter in other TP/8Piano action keybeds, but it was just the springs that did the trick.  I can't say I'd recommend that kind of surgery on a new instrument but if you're committed to the course of action you might be able to find someone's experience documented online.  I've been quite content to pair the synth action of the Prophet X with a complementary board that has a more hammer-like action.

Thank you for your reply! Ill look into that.. Maybe it would be easier to find someone who wants to change a Prophet X with my XL..
Or maybe I just have to get used to the keybed..

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 09:49:06 AM »
I was a bit disappointed with the keybed when I got the PXL, meanwhile I got used to it and find it a good compromise to play synth / organ / piano ... maybe give it some time before you do something that you can not undo and possibly even lose the warranty ;-)
PT10/12HD, Logic X, Digital Performer, Vienna Ensemble Pro
cMP 5,1 Catalina; MacBook Pro

LoboLives

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 11:12:29 AM »
I think the problem is people expected Piano action. Dave said himself they didn’t want to go with full piano action since there were loads of other sounds that would be awkward to play with piano action. Same reason Kawai’s MP11 didn’t have an organ sound. Give it some time and you’ll get used to it.

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 12:25:41 AM »
...  I've been quite content to pair the synth action of the Prophet X with a complementary board that has a more hammer-like action.

And that can really make a difference.

Playing the 32 note piano patch from the X was a tad 'meh'. Playing it from my Fatar piano action master was an eye-opener. They are really useable piano samples—as pianos as well as raw material for mangling.

Stephen

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 03:28:07 PM »

Fatar offers a variety of spring tensions for their keybeds. Changing them is not difficult; the keybed does not have to be removed to do so. You could try contacting Fatar directly to see if they have additional springs for sale.

Replacing the springs on the keybed would not void your warranty.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM