UDO Super 6 - 12 Voice Polyphonic Binaural Analog-Hybrid Synth

Re: UDO Super 6 - 12 Voice Polyphonic Binaural Analog-Hybrid Synth
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2019, 10:13:32 AM »
I really like the looks of this offering from UDO.  Unlimited waveforms abilities and the MPE compatible will jive with the Linn controller I have.

Paul Dither, more specifically what I meant to ask was...for example on PEK, you can draw your own waveform or import a waveform you might record from an instrument you sample.  There's an computer app for that described in the PEK section of this forum.  So, I wonder if UDO will have something similar to that in whatever computer app they have?  I realize that I could go out and accumulate waveforms from the internet to upload into the instrument,  but my goal is to record my own and be able to get them to an instrument w/o much trouble.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2019, 05:14:25 PM »
Paul Dither, more specifically what I meant to ask was...for example on PEK, you can draw your own waveform or import a waveform you might record from an instrument you sample.  There's an computer app for that described in the PEK section of this forum.  So, I wonder if UDO will have something similar to that in whatever computer app they have?  I realize that I could go out and accumulate waveforms from the internet to upload into the instrument,  but my goal is to record my own and be able to get them to an instrument w/o much trouble.

I only know that it's going to be possible to import user waves via USB. At Superbooth there was no talk about a dedicated app whatsoever. Nevertheless, George Hearn talked about possible "software accompaniments" in a recent interview with MusicTech: https://www.musictech.net/features/interviews/udo-inside-binaural-super-6/

LoboLives

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2019, 09:01:00 PM »
I really appreciate the no menu, four octave approach but I think I’d like to hear more FM/Wavetable based sounds. As much as I had hoped for a Prophet 12/Poly Evolver successor from Sequential next...I don’t think that’s what we are going to get and truth be told I’ve been looking into the Roland System 8 to go next to my Prophet 6 to compliment it for its FM and digital based tones. Four octaves, unique sound etc just seems to compliment each other sonically and visually...but after looking at the Super 6 more and more, I find its starting to become really appealing to me...especially in that blue and grey finish. Once more polished demos come out showing off its FM, Wavetable sounds as well as its chorus and sequencer features, I’ll be ready to pull the trigger on the System 8 or Super 6.

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2019, 09:50:46 AM »
I really appreciate the no menu, four octave approach but I think I’d like to hear more FM/Wavetable based sounds. As much as I had hoped for a Prophet 12/Poly Evolver successor from Sequential next...I don’t think that’s what we are going to get and truth be told I’ve been looking into the Roland System 8 to go next to my Prophet 6 to compliment it for its FM and digital based tones. Four octaves, unique sound etc just seems to compliment each other sonically and visually...but after looking at the Super 6 more and more, I find its starting to become really appealing to me...especially in that blue and grey finish. Once more polished demos come out showing off its FM, Wavetable sounds as well as its chorus and sequencer features, I’ll be ready to pull the trigger on the System 8 or Super 6.

But you are assuming DSI won't make something like this next and maybe you are right.....but who really knows...  That was exactly my point in the "next New Instrument" thread yesterday:  If Sequential actually said they were doing something along the lines of the Super 6 or Roland system 8, then you, and I, would might patiently await its development, verses going to a "competitor".    Anyway...to your point on FM/wavetables, yes I'm eager to hear what the Super 6 does there.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

LoboLives

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2019, 03:40:53 PM »

But you are assuming DSI won't make something like this next and maybe you are right.....but who really knows...  That was exactly my point in the "next New Instrument" thread yesterday:  If Sequential actually said they were doing something along the lines of the Super 6 or Roland system 8, then you, and I, would might patiently await its development, verses going to a "competitor".    Anyway...to your point on FM/wavetables, yes I'm eager to hear what the Super 6 does there.

At this point I think we can all be thankful there’s more than one game in town. Even if Sequential comes out with something that interests neither of us..we have options.

jg666

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2019, 12:49:21 PM »
Sonicstate has a new ‘First Look’ video of this synth on their YouTube channel:)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Shaw

"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2019, 03:43:27 PM »
Sonicstate has a new ‘First Look’ video of this synth on their YouTube channel:)

https://youtu.be/u_L4rOwoUho

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2019, 04:13:31 PM »
I'm a bit tired of manufacturers that do not know the difference between extra waveforms and actual wavetables... the UDO do NOT have wavetables, it is clearly stated in the Sonic State video above... it is just extra digital waveforms (static) that you can choose as an oscillator shape... I've seen this with other "wavetable" synths, and it confuses people... a REAL wavetable has the abillity to sweep the waveforms in realtime by controls or LFOs/Envelopes.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

OceanMachine

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2019, 06:46:20 PM »
Owning the Quantum for a short amount of time made me realize how little I actually care for the sound of wavetable scanning.

From what I've heard, the Super 6 is the best sounding hybrid synth on the market (or about to be), but again, I can't get past the lack of any kind of display.   
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 07:16:52 PM by A Thousand Eyes »

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2019, 08:11:52 PM »
I'm a bit tired of manufacturers that do not know the difference between extra waveforms and actual wavetables... the UDO do NOT have wavetables, it is clearly stated in the Sonic State video above... it is just extra digital waveforms (static) that you can choose as an oscillator shape... I've seen this with other "wavetable" synths, and it confuses people... a REAL wavetable has the abillity to sweep the waveforms in realtime by controls or LFOs/Envelopes.

I hear your pain.  But then this goes all the way back to Creative an their 'wavetable' synth on the old Sound Blaster cards in the early 90's.  I've fallen for the misnomer once, though.  I won't mention any names (starts with an E and ends in volver  ;) ) but it made up for the lack of proper PPG-esque wavetable in other ways, such as the extra waves being great for basic FM and a sequencer to step through the table of waveforms.

From what I've heard, the Super 6 is the best sounding hybrid synth on the market (or about to be), but again, I can't get past the lack of any kind of display.   

It has a display, it's covered in sliders and dials! 😘

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2019, 09:21:00 PM »
Owning the Quantum for a short amount of time made me realize how little I actually care for the sound of wavetable scanning.

Well.. .people are different... I certainly like wavetable sweeps, they allow for so much movement in the sound done in an easy way... but many who use wavetables just end up with tinny harsh and hard sounding presets that only hurt the ears, so you would need to know how to tame a wavetable to make it sound good... most of the time it's because the single waveforms have so many complex higher harmonics in them, then aliasing is impossible to get around... people forget that the waves themselves sound better when NOT so complex, and the weight is laid on the actual waves you sweep in combination.

I'll admit though, that the Super 6 is one darn fine sounding synth... no question about that.

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2019, 11:25:32 PM »

I’m not sure when and how the wavetable terminology was introduced in the context of the Super 6, but George usually emphasizes the term “waveforms,” not “wavetables.”

The additional waveforms just as the standard waveforms of the 1st oscillator behave in a similar manner as the super waves on the Pro 2 with two of the differences being that you can spread the detuned oscillator cores in the stereo field and adjust phase shifting between the left and right channels.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2019, 12:43:23 AM »

I’m not sure when and how the wavetable terminology was introduced in the context of the Super 6, but George usually emphasizes the term “waveforms,” not “wavetables.”

The additional waveforms just as the standard waveforms of the 1st oscillator behave in a similar manner as the super waves on the Pro 2 with two of the differences being that you can spread the detuned oscillator cores in the stereo field and adjust phase shifting between the left and right channels.

Both he, and Nick uses the term "Wavetable" several times in the video :)

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2019, 02:25:25 AM »

Both he, and Nick uses the term "Wavetable" several times in the video :)

I know, it was a rhetorical question. I'd categorize it under slip of the tongue.

At one point George mentions that the additional waveforms are what they are for now (= static waveforms). So maybe there are plans to integrate actual wavetables at a later point.

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2019, 06:58:37 AM »
From a Q&A thread on Gearslutz:

Hiya!

Yes, we are using about 60% of the FPGA for the Super 6. That means there is massive scope for refinement. We are also only using about 30% CPU for housekeeping.

One thing we are really considering is to have dynamic waveforms, akin to wavetables that are non-static/modulatable in multiple dimensions. I don't want to promise too much now until we've sounded it out but in answer to your questions there is lots of unfulfilled potential, probably more so than in most commercial instruments.

This is largely by accident as we just tipped over the designed FPGA threshold and had to go to a bigger device with twice the resources. Cost us a packet but does allow for future stuff, and not just trivial stuff.

OceanMachine

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2019, 07:14:08 AM »
So potentially there would be modulatable wavetables, yet there would be no dedicated knob to manual scan through them? That's a bit odd.

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2019, 07:42:22 AM »
So potentially there would be modulatable wavetables, yet there would be no dedicated knob to manual scan through them? That's a bit odd.

No. Since a wavetable would then replace a super wave, you could, for example, use the super wave modulation fader (now responsible for the amount of detuning) for scanning through the wavetable. If they could make this work in conjunction with the dephasing parameter that would actually be very cool if that would allow you to scan through a wavetable with an offset between the left and right audio channels.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 07:45:47 AM by Paul Dither »

OceanMachine

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2019, 07:56:01 AM »
Ah, now I see the super section. Either way, to me any ability for user waveforms is much more useful. It would be cool to do a more deluxe edition with an extra octave as well as a screen. If Sequential uses your Wave design, starts using FPGA technology, and has the option for a stereo filter path, it would be much better as it would use the exact same filter. The SSI2144 is currently used in the PX and is based off the SSM2044 used in the PPG 2.2/2.3 & Emulator-I.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 08:56:20 AM by A Thousand Eyes »