UDO Super 6 - 12 Voice Polyphonic Binaural Analog-Hybrid Synth

OceanMachine

Re: UDO Super 6 - 12 Voice Polyphonic Binaural Analog-Hybrid Synth
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 05:23:12 PM »
At 24 MHz, your ears can’t tell the difference between FPGA digital and Analogue — no one can. 
And FPGA OSCs are far more versatile. I love my analogue synths, but I like to see innovation like this.
I’d love to see Dave do an FPGA synth.  He has the knowledge (and ears) to do it well.

Maybe not, especially in a mix, but I can tell the difference between my VCO and DCO synths by the way they react to my playing. Both are analog, yet there's certainly natural drift in one case that's lacking in the other, which I find more satisfying as a players instrument. As far as DCO vs FPGA, I'd have to agree with you on that one. Even if there were some digital artifacts, the pros far outweigh the cons imo. 

Shaw

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 05:43:57 PM »
At 24 MHz, your ears can’t tell the difference between FPGA digital and Analogue — no one can. 
And FPGA OSCs are far more versatile. I love my analogue synths, but I like to see innovation like this.
I’d love to see Dave do an FPGA synth.  He has the knowledge (and ears) to do it well.

Maybe not, especially in a mix, but I can tell the difference between my VCO and DCO synths by the way they react to my playing. Both are analog, yet there's certainly natural drift in one case that's lacking in the other, which I find more satisfying as a players instrument. As far as DCO vs FPGA, I'd have to agree with you on that one. Even if there were some digital artifacts, the pros far outweigh the cons imo.
I think that FPGAs offer the power and speed to create Oscillators than computationally mimic the natural drift of analogue — AKA Dave’s Slop parameter.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

OceanMachine

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2019, 06:00:06 PM »
The slop parameter is not an adequate substitution, nor do I find it all that useful beyond very subtle amounts. This brings up the question why you would spend such a large amount for a Deckard's Dream for example. I suppose you might say because nothing can exactly emulate a hardware CS-80 & that's the closest it gets.

Either way I question the design choice regarding this particular synth's lack of a screen.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:30:36 PM by Ocean Machine »

LoboLives

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2019, 06:16:48 PM »
Ugh...I hate to be "that guy" but honestly...I think I'd like this more if it was VCO based. Digital oscillators are nice...but the layout and UI just feels like it should be 100% analog...almost feels like Arturia should have made it and called it the PolyBrute.

Though, again, I expect to be in the minority.

I guess it’s more of a mental thing for me rather than an audible one.

Shaw

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2019, 06:19:41 PM »
The slop parameter is not an adequate substitution, nor do I find it all that useful beyond very subtle amounts. This brings up the question why you would spend such a large amount for a Deckard's Dream for example. I suppose you might say because nothing sounds exactly like it.

Either way I question the design choice of this particular synth's lack of a screen.
Sorry... I sometimes fail to completely express a viewpoint for the sake of brevity.  And I think we agree more than disagree.
I love my analogues.  The OB-6 is an awesome tool — lovely sounding instrument. The Deckard’s Dream (arriving tomorrow! Come on UPS!), I expect it to evoke the same sentiment.
I hope and expect analogue synths to always be designed and made — at least in my lifetime.
Digital synthesis is, however, the evolution of synthesis. It has been since the 80s.  And it provides us with new and exciting synthesis techniques and timbres.
I like them both; I suspect 90% of us on this forum agree with that statement.
The slop parameter (Prophet 12, Pro 2) doesn’t turn a digital synth analogue.  It is limited by the processing power of the instrument. So no, Slop ain’t it.  It is, however, a great step down that road.   But an FPGA powered synth has the computational power to be programmed to do this.  When you create minute variations in pitch, amplitude, phase, and wave shape calculated at 24MHz, that would be indistinguishable to any human ear (or feelings, or vibe) from analogue (if the algorithms were well written... and I think Dave & Co. could do it). 
We haven’t seen it yet, but it’s around the corner. And coming fast.

In short, long live analogue!  Digital innovation? yes to that too!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:24:38 PM by Shaw »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Shaw

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 06:23:23 PM »
Ugh...I hate to be "that guy" but honestly...I think I'd like this more if it was VCO based. Digital oscillators are nice...but the layout and UI just feels like it should be 100% analog...almost feels like Arturia should have made it and called it the PolyBrute.

Though, again, I expect to be in the minority.

I guess it’s more of a mental thing for me rather than an audible one.
Very well could be.
I have the same mental bias toward Sequential and PRS guitars.  :)
I’ve already told my Sweetwater guy to put me in line for the next Sequential/DSI synth as soon as it’s announced.  That’s how confident I am that DAve makes stuff that I like.

OceanMachine

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 06:32:13 PM »
Unless the synth is designed by and working with the computational power of Laplace's demon, I don't see why it would differ all that much from the other drifting algorithms I've thus far experienced. At a certain point I'm hoping digital will be completely indiscernible from analog in all aspects to our puny human senses anyhow. Perhaps on the smallest scale the world is discrete and we're actually living in the Matrix, man.  ;)

I'm waiting for this next wave of digital synths before I make my next purchase.

Shaw

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2019, 06:35:13 PM »
I'm waiting for this next wave of digital synths before I make my next purchase.
Those, my friend, are among the wisest words ever uttered amongst our group of enablers!   ;D

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2019, 05:44:52 AM »
I like the sound of this a lot... to me it feels like sort of a "hands on guys" SUMMIT... I'm not sure how much extra you would get from having both this and a SUMMIT ... the binaural approach can easily be done on SUMMIT in multi mode, panning each part L/R, and then you would still have two voices more than the SUPER 6.

The only thing I can see that makes them differ a bit are the analog filters which are different... still this sounds really really good... I think this synth is more geared towards the performing hands-on kind of users, where SUMMIT is more a sound designer's synth... if i had to choose, I'd certainly go for the SUMMIT instead of this, but for people who like a one knob per function, SUPER 6 might actually be the better buy.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2019, 05:54:15 AM »
Besides, I'm beginning to get this feeling, that FPGA is going to be the norm in digital synthesis in hardware from now on... we have seen a lot of these synths beginning to pop up, and I'm on the verge of beginning to make that a criteria for any digital synth I'm going to get in the future... it simply just sound better to my ears.... either FPGA digital, or real analog VCO/DCO... thus I still like my REV2, it just sounds so clear in the upper registers, and PEAK as well... I see no reason anymore, to waste money on a Prophet 12 which introduce digital artifacts in the tone rather easy.... some may like that rough sound, but I tend to lean towards a cleaner and more precise tone.... I still like dirty analog, but that's not the same as dirty digital... I do not like the later.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2019, 07:27:28 AM »
IIRC the oscillators in the Modal 002 are also FPGA and they're very satisfying. The main disappointment I have is that they're not used for any audio rate modulation or wavetable interpolation. But otherwise they produce some of the best "analog" sounds of any of my gear, largely due to the combination of the oscillators through those filters. The only thing in its realm is the OB-6.

I'm going to wait until I hear the wavetables on this thing. So far what I hear is a very nice analog synth, but not one that isn't pretty well covered by existing gear.

I'm excited by the future of FPGAs, though. The Kyra will be interesting to hear in final form, though I think there are much more interesting things that can be done than giving us essentially a Virus clone.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2019, 10:47:23 AM »
Wonder if you can import your own wave forms, and if so, how easily done?   Looking forward to seeing an in-depth video on this.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2019, 11:31:06 AM »
Nice, but 12 voices with only a four-octave keyboard?  A left-handed arpeggio can easily exceed that.

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2019, 01:05:37 PM »
Wonder if you can import your own wave forms, and if so, how easily done?   Looking forward to seeing an in-depth video on this.

Yes, you'll be able to import them via USB.

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2019, 01:08:11 PM »
Nice, but 12 voices with only a four-octave keyboard?  A left-handed arpeggio can easily exceed that.

The goal was to keep it compact so you can carry it around under one arm or throw it into the car.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2019, 01:35:04 PM »

The goal was to keep it compact so you can carry it around under one arm or throw it into the car.

I guess I don't go hiking with my synthesizers as much as I used to.  ;D

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2019, 01:45:14 PM »
I guess I don't go hiking with my synthesizers as much as I used to.  ;D

;D

Nah, but it's supposed to be for gigging. Hence the size and the WYSIWYG control panel. In a way, this is like a hybrid synth version of the Prophet-6 or the OB-6 with the filters of the Prophet X.

Shaw

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2019, 01:47:19 PM »
In a way, this is like a hybrid synth version of the Prophet-6 or the OB-6 with the filters of the Prophet X.
Sold!

UDO should hire you as their hype man!

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2019, 01:48:47 PM »
In a way, this is like a hybrid synth version of the Prophet-6 or the OB-6 with the filters of the Prophet X.
Sold!

UDO should hire you as their hype man!

Haha!