UDO Super 6 - 12 Voice Polyphonic Binaural Analog-Hybrid Synth

A new hybrid synth that will be presented at Superbooth designed by Axel Hartmann and a developer who allegedly had been involved in the development of the Modal Electronics 008. Not much info yet. Looks kind of Roland-ish.

Re: UDO Super 6 - 12 Voice Polyphonic Binaural Analog-Hybrid Synth
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 06:57:03 AM »
Like Roland and Arturia had a baby who was obsessed with Devo.

The "binaural" aspect intrigues me.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 11:10:27 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but what is Binaural Synthesis? I've search for an answer but with no satisfactory explanation.  I understand it may refer to some form of 3D sound, but that's all I've found.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 02:28:30 AM »
Excuse my ignorance, but what is Binaural Synthesis? I've search for an answer but with no satisfactory explanation.  I understand it may refer to some form of 3D sound, but that's all I've found.

I assume in this context it will probably mean that when you play a note, different voices will be triggered on the left and the right channel, for example a regularly tuned saw wave patch on the left channel and a slightly detuned saw wave patch on the right channel. It's something one would usually achieve with multitracking: recording the same track twice with the same sound, but slightly differently tuned, and then hardpanning it to the left and the right. That might also explain the numbers 6 and 12. So maybe you're left with 6 voices in binaural mode while you get 12 voices in normal mode.

If you look closely at the upper photo, you can see a section called "Voice Assign" and below there are two buttons, one with a sort of stereo field icon above it.

megamarkd

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 06:42:31 PM »

I assume in this context it will probably mean that when you play a note, different voices will be triggered on the left and the right channel, for example a regularly tuned saw wave patch on the left channel and a slightly detuned saw wave patch on the right channel. It's something one would usually achieve with multitracking: recording the same track twice with the same sound, but slightly differently tuned, and then hardpanning it to the left and the right. That might also explain the numbers 6 and 12. So maybe you're left with 6 voices in binaural mode while you get 12 voices in normal mode.

If you look closely at the upper photo, you can see a section called "Voice Assign" and below there are two buttons, one with a sort of stereo field icon above it.

Ah yes I understand, thank you.  The icon above that right-hand button does look a lot like an old cinema poster symbol for "in STEREO!"
I have a module titled "Nearness" which has seems to be tailored towards that sort of use (combined with a sequential switch I can route audio signals to a different position in the stereo field with the note trigger).

The styling of the synth and the photos supplied do tend to make this look very much like a Roland Juno-esque machine.  The two chorus buttons on the far end seem very much like a nod to the Juno's.

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 07:16:16 PM »
Wonder how many octaves.

megamarkd

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 09:13:10 PM »
Wonder how many octaves.

Can't find any images of the announced synth, but here's a link to their Instagram for maybe some insight into it all in the near future: https://www.instagram.com/udo_audio/

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 01:28:12 AM »

This wouldn't be too terribly different than the Modal stuff in double mode (four 008 / four or six 002 / one 001), or the Evolver (four Poly / one Mono).
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

AlanC

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 08:11:40 AM »

This wouldn't be too terribly different than the Modal stuff in double mode (four 008 / four or six 002 / one 001), or the Evolver (four Poly / one Mono).

If it is this then it's exactly the same as can be done on a Modal 00#. Set the mode to Stack, the Size to 2 and adjust the Spread to detune the voices.

This is how I've used my 002 from the start. It gives a really nice stereo effect and dodges the hard panning of the individual voices - at the expense of becoming 6 rather than 12 note polyphonic.

AlanC

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 08:22:41 AM »
A new hybrid synth that will be presented at Superbooth designed by Axel Hartmann and a developer who allegedly had been involved in the development of the Modal Electronics 008.

I think you're referring to George Hearn. ;) He designed the analog architecture of the 008's voices and is the founder of UDO.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 09:26:54 AM »
A new hybrid synth that will be presented at Superbooth designed by Axel Hartmann and a developer who allegedly had been involved in the development of the Modal Electronics 008.

I think you're referring to George Hearn. ;) He designed the analog architecture of the 008's voices and is the founder of UDO.

Indeed. Thanks for filling in the name!

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 11:35:33 AM »
The description sounds almost like a Rev 2 of the 002, though I could be completely off. I know George wasn't involved in the 002, but I'm guessing he got familiar with it when he adapted his design to its OS. I'm guessing since Paula isn't with Modal anymore, we won't be seeing any more in the flagship line, so he won't be stepping on any toes there.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 07:07:59 AM »
The description sounds almost like a Rev 2 of the 002, though I could be completely off. I know George wasn't involved in the 002, but I'm guessing he got familiar with it when he adapted his design to its OS. I'm guessing since Paula isn't with Modal anymore, we won't be seeing any more in the flagship line, so he won't be stepping on any toes there.

I guess it depends on what "super-wave technology" is supposed to mean. By the end of next week we'll know a bit more.

As for Paula: Her latest oscillator designs (the WTF and the Waveplane oscillators) would certainly make for an interesting digital front end of a new type of hybrid synth.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 06:17:51 PM »
As for Paula: Her latest oscillator designs (the WTF and the Waveplane oscillators) would certainly make for an interesting digital front end of a new type of hybrid synth.

Yessssss. I'd love to see her do another version of the 002 with some of those oscillators and more modulation capabilities.

Shaw

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 03:26:00 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yi3HiXWjVI&t=246s

After watching the SonicState video, I'm kinda digging this.  FPGA OSCs into a stereo Analogue Signal path, stereo filters, 8x8 modulation matrix, wavetables... definitely something worth keeping an eye on.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

OceanMachine

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 03:53:13 PM »
This video did the opposite for me personally. I like Nick, though not the best showing from him either. He failed to ask about how wavetables are going to be practical on a synth with no screen, despite cutting off George repeatedly.

Shaw

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 03:57:53 PM »
This video did the opposite for me personally. I like Nick, though not the best showing from him either. He failed to ask about how wavetables are going to be practical on a synth with no screen, despite cutting off George repeatedly.
It’s definitely missing some details... and that’s to be expected on a prototype, but on the quality of some of the timbres I heard, I like it.  Of course, that’s a totally subjective thing, and I’m normally in the minority among my peers from that perspective. 

:)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 04:04:37 PM »
Ugh...I hate to be "that guy" but honestly...I think I'd like this more if it was VCO based. Digital oscillators are nice...but the layout and UI just feels like it should be 100% analog...almost feels like Arturia should have made it and called it the PolyBrute.

Shaw

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 04:17:44 PM »
Ugh...I hate to be "that guy" but honestly...I think I'd like this more if it was VCO based. Digital oscillators are nice...but the layout and UI just feels like it should be 100% analog...almost feels like Arturia should have made it and called it the PolyBrute.
At 24 MHz, your ears can’t tell the difference between FPGA digital and Analogue — no one can. 
And FPGA OSCs are far more versatile. I love my analogue synths, but I like to see innovation like this.
I’d love to see Dave do an FPGA synth.  He has the knowledge (and ears) to do it well.

Though, again, I expect to be in the minority.

megamarkd

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 04:26:06 PM »
Ah, so binaural refers to stereo signal path rather like the Evolver's signal path but a bit more advanced panning/phase control (from what he alluded to).
Here's another demo:
https://youtu.be/gX_j76J3r6k