Moog Matriarch

jok3r

Re: Moog Matriarch
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2019, 02:02:56 PM »
Yeah it's pretty basic, I've also seen this document a while ago. But I think the idea is still pretty good... I will definitely try this when I have one of these instruments.

I hope there are more parameters midi-tweakable in the Matriarch. It would be very cool if at least every hardware knob had an CC counter part. Then one would only have to connect cables to the right ins/outs to get pre created sounds, which can also be done real fast on stage if you are prepared for it. With everything prewired in this semimodular machines, perhaps I would not need any cables at all (besides the before mentioned aftertouch vibrato) and could recall patches from my "external memory". Perhaps I should send a feature request to Moog.

Just to put everything in context: one of my current projects is a semi professional classic rock coverband and we are playing about 50 songs at one show (that's why such a hack to "save" patches would be very helpful for me, but it is no deal breaker). To be honest, everything I play, I could also do with just my Kronos and it would be good enough for the main audience. But for my personal satisfaction I'm carrying my Rev2 and PEAK with me, because they are sounding so much better, when it comes to analog sounds. I didn't think it would make such a big difference until I heard the first live recordings with the Rev2 after I played it the first time on stage. The Rev2 serves mostly for brass and string sounds, some leads and pads. The PEAK does mostly leads and pads. But I'm still looking for a lead machine that has a true moogy character. I know the Grandmother does not have the same character as a Minimoog and is more similar to the Moog Modular stuff, but when I compared it to the Subsequent I just liked the GM better. And a Model D is not an alternative for me, because besides replicating what Minimoogs have done for decades, it doesn't allow me to experiment the same way a modular system does (I'm not doing cover music exclusively). I even liked the GM sound more than the Moog One. So in other words: For my personal taste, I will get the most moogy sound with the most flexibility out of a Grandmother and hopefully Matriarch. If there were not the rumors about the Matriarch some weeks ago, I would have pulled the trigger already. But I think I will definitely try the Matriarch first and if it sounds "the same", I will buy this one instead. It will cost me more than twice the money, but since it will be some weeks until I could finally get one here in Germany, I will have saved the additional amount until then.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2019, 06:28:16 PM »
It's really nice that Moog are embracing the modular synth format and in doing so releasing affordable Moogs!  I really do think I may end up with a Moog synth soon whereas 10yrs ago I'd have thought that owning one would be a dream, always never being able to justify the cost to the functionality (another "spoilt by the modulation matrix" user here, between DSI and Waldorf I've come to expect a lot  ;) ).

Nothing against the Matriarch, but the Prophet-6 strikes me as belonging to a different (and superior) category.  In some ways, the Moog is closer to a Pro-2, in that it's basically a monophonic instrument with paraphonic capabilities.  But the Prophet-6 is a genuine poly synth.  I wouldn't have even thought of comparing them, except for this thread.

I have to agree, it's apple and oranges, but maybe not so much "superior" and would say "more sophisticated".  It's like how the Novation man described the Bass Station 2 as a 'two voice' synth now with the ability to address the two osc's independently.  As much as the paraphonic play sounds nice, it's still not polyphonic and won't replace my Tetra, though fun for the 'retro' feel.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2019, 07:25:42 PM »

Nothing against the Matriarch, but the Prophet-6 strikes me as belonging to a different (and superior) category.  In some ways, the Moog is closer to a Pro-2, in that it's basically a monophonic instrument with paraphonic capabilities.  But the Prophet-6 is a genuine poly synth.  I wouldn't have even thought of comparing them, except for this thread.

I have to agree, it's apple and oranges, but maybe not so much "superior" and would say "more sophisticated". 

Yes, I'd agree with that improvement in terms.

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2019, 03:19:31 PM »

jok3r

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2019, 05:58:21 AM »

I like what I've heard so far...
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

jok3r

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2019, 08:59:26 AM »
I hope there are more parameters midi-tweakable in the Matriarch. It would be very cool if at least every hardware knob had an CC counter part. Then one would only have to connect cables to the right ins/outs to get pre created sounds, which can also be done real fast on stage if you are prepared for it. With everything prewired in this semimodular machines, perhaps I would not need any cables at all (besides the before mentioned aftertouch vibrato) and could recall patches from my "external memory". Perhaps I should send a feature request to Moog.

Actually I sent a feature request to moog this morning and already got a reply which I want to share, just in case that there's someone out there who thought about the same hack ;-)

Quote from: Jared from Moog
Unfortunately, there's only so much MIDI implementation possible for this line of synths due to some key design choices. Most of the Grandmother is legacy modular architecture repurposed and tweaked in a smaller form factor. Of course, in theory we could add digital control to any of the modules. However, the design of the boards left digital control out for over half of the instrument. Only the LHC, the left panel board and the I/O board have digital controls. In other words, adding MIDI for every knob would amount to a hardware redesign, essentially a totally different instrument from a production standpoint.

Having said that, a more robust MIDI implementation for the Grandmother is coming in future firmware revisions. Matriarch will have more implementation by virtue that there's more going on in the instrument. However, the spirit will remain the same, MIDI controls for only certain sections of the synth with many sections remaining truly analog.

This is not what I was hoping for, but as I said: that's no deal breaker, because that's just not what these instruments where designed for. I just thought it would be toooooo good if that would work.

I guess I have to improve my live tweaking skills then... ;-)

chysn

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2019, 02:41:34 PM »
This is not what I was hoping for, but as I said: that's no deal breaker, because that's just not what these instruments where designed for. I just thought it would be toooooo good if that would work.

I guess I have to improve my live tweaking skills then... ;-)

It wouldn't be control over every parameter, but you can accomplish a lot with MIDI-to-CV with a modest Eurorack setup. By way of shameless self-promotion, and as one of many options, see

https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki/Captain-MIDI
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

jok3r

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2019, 02:21:42 AM »
It wouldn't be control over every parameter, but you can accomplish a lot with MIDI-to-CV with a modest Eurorack setup. By way of shameless self-promotion, and as one of many options, see

https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki/Captain-MIDI

That's a thing I was thinking of myself. With all parameters that are MIDI controllable directly plus 4 lanes of MIDI2CS one could possibly at least try to "save" some basic sounds like a bass or lead.

Does such a device "keep" the last CC value for a configured convertion? A MIDI CC message is just a single value at a given timepoint and not a continous thing like a voltage. Do such devices keep outputting the last corresponding CV until a new CC message for this lane arrives? Or would I have to send the CC messages again and again? I hope you know what I want to say... cannot describe it better ;-)

chysn

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2019, 04:50:42 AM »
Does such a device "keep" the last CC value for a configured convertion? A MIDI CC message is just a single value at a given timepoint and not a continous thing like a voltage. Do such devices keep outputting the last corresponding CV until a new CC message for this lane arrives? Or would I have to send the CC messages again and again? I hope you know what I want to say... cannot describe it better ;-)

I can speak for my software only. If a MIDI message comes in on the right channel and controller, the voltage is maintained at that level until the next such MIDI message is received.

If you're looking for simple preset management, consider also the Intellijel Tetrapad. Tetrapad has a Voltages mode that lets you assign eight groups of eight voltages; and there are twelve presets (so, basically, 96 "patch memories"). So you can map eight of the Matriarch's parameters (or 16, if you get a pair of Tetrapads) and have those patches available at the touch of a button. You can even set a "slew" rate, to smoothly morph between patches.

To sort of bring this topic back on track, I think what Moog has been doing the last few years is brilliant. Lack of CV is essentially the reason I never bought a Prophet 6. I mean, I'm not in the market for a synth at all right now; but CV just explodes an instrument's possibilities into another universe.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2019, 05:18:39 PM »

jg666

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2023, 12:10:00 PM »
I’m wondering if there’s something new coming from Moog soon?

The reason why I’m thinking this is because a lot of UK shops are now selling the Matriarch for at least £300 less than they ever have - £1,600 and odd pounds. It’s always been at least £1900 and sometimes £2200 so I’m slighyly confused as to why it’s at such a low price comparitively at the moment.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2023, 08:34:15 AM »

The reason why I’m thinking this is because a lot of UK shops are now selling the Matriarch for at least £300 less than they ever have - £1,600 and odd pounds. It’s always been at least £1900 and sometimes £2200 so I’m slighyly confused as to why it’s at such a low price comparitively at the moment.

Since Moog Music was just acquired by a larger corporation I can see a complete catalogue overhaul.

LPF83

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2023, 09:23:07 AM »

Since Moog Music was just acquired by a larger corporation I can see a complete catalogue overhaul.

Lately there have been some interesting (and sometimes tempting) discounts on various gear, it makes me wonder if some gear vendors are starting to experience softening sales / maybe an early indication of economic cooldown or an indication of shifts in the supply chain?  I seem to remember System-8 being deeply discounted recently, then there's the aforementioned Moog discounts... and I noticed even on the hot off the press Trigon 6 desktop, there is currently a $250 manufacturer rebate, which I don't recall seeing on a newly introduced product before, although that could be simply another way of setting the "future price" now so that they don't have to raise it later as they did across the product line during the pandemic.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2023, 12:14:53 PM »

Lately there have been some interesting (and sometimes tempting) discounts on various gear, it makes me wonder if some gear vendors are starting to experience softening sales / maybe an early indication of economic cooldown or an indication of shifts in the supply chain?  I seem to remember System-8 being deeply discounted recently, then there's the aforementioned Moog discounts... and I noticed even on the hot off the press Trigon 6 desktop, there is currently a $250 manufacturer rebate, which I don't recall seeing on a newly introduced product before, although that could be simply another way of setting the "future price" now so that they don't have to raise it later as they did across the product line during the pandemic.

That unfortunately won’t mean dick all here in Canada. I remember when our dollar was worth more than the USD stores absolutely refused to negotiate price or exchange rates to the point where they actually closed off portions of their store or removed items off the shelf until the dollar dropped again.

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2024, 10:46:12 AM »
Well, I decided to pick one of these Matriarch's up.  Never had a Moog before, and I figure this was the last of the line of the semi modular that they'll make.   So between getting the 3rd wave and this I spent a small fortune last few months, but I've been selling some things off too to justify it.  Latest on the selling block is the UDO Super 6.   Lovely sounding synth, not excited to let it go, but I really overlaps too much with ground the 3rd wave can cover.

After spending an entire day with the Moog, I'm already really happy with the purchase.  There really are certain sounds that are specific to Moog in my experience, which  I noticed jumping out at me right away.  It'll serve a specific niche that I only otherwise was able to get with the Arturia Moog system 5 emulation software. 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1