Moog Matriarch

Moog Matriarch
« on: April 25, 2019, 04:17:25 AM »
Looks like a great companion for the Pro 2:

Features:
  • Mono, duo, and 4-note paraphonic playability
  • Stereo analog delay w/ up to 700ms of MIDI sync-able stereo or ping/pong style repeats
  • Stereo analog delay w/ up to 700ms of MIDI sync-able stereo or ping/pong style repeats
  • 256 step sequencer w/ up to 4 notes per step and 12 stored patterns. Can be decoupled from Matriarch to independently sequence external gear.
  • Arpeggiator with selectable modes (Order, Forward/Backward, Random).
  • Semi-modular analog synthesizer - no patching required.
  • 90 modular patch points for endless exploration
  • Expressive 49-note Fatar keyboard w/ patchable velocity and aftertouch.
  • 4 analog oscillators w/ selectable waveshape and hard sync per-oscillator.
  • Full-range analog LFO with 6 selectable waveshapes.
  • Dual analog filters with parallel (HP/LP), stereo (LP/LP), and series (HP/LP) modes available.
  • Dual analog ADSR envelopes.
  • Dual analog VCAs.
  • 3x bipolar voltage controlled attenuators with ring mod capability.
  • 2x4 parallel wired unbuffered mults.
  • Additional simple analog LFO useful for adding modulation to delay, filters and VCAs.
  • 1/4“ external audio input for processing guitars, drum machines, and more through Matriarch’s analog circuits.
  • Stereo ¼” and 3.5mm Eurorack level audio outputs.

Specs:
  • TYPE: Semi-Modular Analog Synthesizer
  • SOUND ENGINE: 100% Analog
  • NUMBER OF KEYS: 49 Full-Size Keys
  • TYPE OF KEYS: Velocity-sensing with Aftertouch (Velocity and Aftertouch are not hard-wired – available via MIDI, KBD VEL OUT and KB AT OUT jacks)
  • OTHER CONTROLLERS: Pitch Bend, Mod Wheel, Variable Glide, Expression pedal in to CV out, and Sustain Pedal in
  • POLYPHONY: Monophonic, 2-Note Paraphonic, and 4-Note Paraphonic
  • SOUND SOURCES: 4x Analog Oscillators with Selectable Waveforms (Oscillators 2, 3, and 4 support Hard Sync), White Noise Generator, External Input jack.
  • MIXER: 6 input (5 eurorack level and 1 instrument level) DC coupled discrete mixer with asymmetrical clipping behavior
  • FILTERS: 24dB/Octave Low Pass Filter with Resonance, 24dB/Octave switchable Low Pass/High Pass Filter with Resonance. Configurable in parallel (HP/LP), stereo (LP/LP), and series (HP/LP).
  • MOD SOURCES: Analog Modulation Oscillator with selectable and patchable output (Sine, Saw, Ramp, Square, Stepped Triangle, Smoothed Random, Sample and Hold, Noise). Additional LFO (Tri, Square).
  • ENVELOPES: 2x Four-Stage ADSR with End of Envelope gate outputs
  • ATTENUATORS: 3x Bipolar Voltage Controlled Attenuators with Ring Mod capabilities
  • MULTS: 2x4 Parallel-wired Non-buffered Patch Points
  • VCAS: 2x discrete analog VCAs routed in stereo
  • EFFECTS: Stereo Analog Delay with Ping/Pong, MIDI and CV clock sync, voltage controlled Mix, and independent L/R delay times, feedback, and I/O
  • ARPEGGIATOR/STEP SEQUENCER: 256 Steps with up to 4 notes per step; 12 Sequence locations
  • PATCH POINTS: 90 x 3.5mm front and rear panels, 49 Inputs, 33 Outputs, 2x4 Parallel-wired Mults
  • PEDAL INPUTS: 1/4” Sustain, 1/4” Expression
  • AUDIO INPUT: 1/4” TS jack (Rear Panel)
  • AUDIO OUTPUTS: 2x 1/4” TS jacks for line level output (Rear Panel), 1/4” Headphone jack with dedicated level knob (rear panel), 2x 3.5mm Eurorack level outputs, 2x 3.5mm Delay outputs
  • MIDI I/O: 5-pin DIN In, Out, Thru; plus MIDI over USB (Rear Panel)
  • DIMENSIONS: 32” (81.28cm) Wide x 14 1/4” (36.19cm) Deep x 5 1/2” (13.97cm) High
  • POWER: Included Power Adapter 12V DC (positive tip), 2A, 100 to 240 Volts AC, 50/60Hz with screw-on barrel connector
  • WEIGHT: 24lbs. / 10.89kg

Price (according to Guitar Center and Musician's Friend): $1,999.00
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:56:21 AM by Paul Dither »

LoboLives

Re: Moog Matriarch
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 04:41:08 AM »
4 voice paraphonic Moog? I'm sold.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 04:43:33 AM »

Yes, with additional 2 voice mode, stereo filters and stereo delay. If the LFO covers the same range as the one of the GM, you even get a 5th oscillator.

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 04:46:46 AM »

Yes, with additional 2 voice mode, stereo filters and stereo delay. If the LFO covers the same range as the one of the GM, you even get a 5th oscillator.

If they somehow squeezed the Moogerfoger Phaser or Chorus in this thing it would have been perfect as a string machine.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 04:50:40 AM »

If they somehow squeezed the Moogerfoger Phaser or Chorus in this thing it would have been perfect as a string machine.

You'll get a delay with patch points for all parameters, so you should be able to achieve some chorus and flanger effects by modulating the delay time while having it set to short amounts, just like on the Evolvers, the P12 and the Pro 2.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 04:53:16 AM by Paul Dither »

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 05:04:27 AM »

You'll get a delay with patch points for all parameters, so you should be able to achieve some chorus and flanger effects by modulating the delay time while having it set to short amounts, just like on the Evolvers, the P12 and the Pro 2.

True. Hmmm thinking about it though I could get that Dreadbox Hypnosis and be able to save the actually parameters of the effects as opposed to having to dial them in all the time.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 07:23:58 PM »
Very nice.  I like the size and simple direct architecture.  But a $2,000 price tag and only one LFO?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 07:38:48 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 01:55:17 AM »
Very nice.  I like the size and simple direct architecture.  But a $2,000 price tag and only one LFO?

It does have a whole patch bay if you need to get into modulation and with 4 oscillators there’s plenty of options for experimentation.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 03:20:00 AM »

There is apparently a second, simple LFO at the bottom of the multiples section to the right. It features only triangle and square outs, so that one might be used for vibratos, tremolos, or trillers. I'm not sure, though, whether it's on instantly or whether it can be controlled via mod wheel as well - that might be patchable. Hidden in the left multiples section is also a ring mod function.

The price certainly appears to be on the steeper end, but then you couldn't build such a system in Eurorack for that price. Given that Moog is selling a strictly limited edition of the MF-104 delay for almost a grand right now, the inclusion of a modulatable stereo version almost seems like a bargain. Plus you get a 49 keys Fatar keyboard, which isn't cheap either. Add to that the 256 step sequencer that includes ratchet now and the ability to record up to four notes per step, linear FM and PWM for all oscillators and the capability to hardsync up to 3 oscillators to the first one, a stereo LP filter with spacing option (just like on the Voyager) and a HP filter both with separate controls, and 90 patch points. So this isn't simply an upgraded Grandmother. They catered to almost all user requests and added those to almost twice a Grandmother. From that perspective the price doesn't seem too high anymore.

There are two ways one could think of the Matriarch I think: One would be Moog's version of a Korg Mono/Poly. Apparantly it is said to cycle through the oscillators in sequencer mode just like the Korg.

Another way to look at it is as a powerful analog mono synth and a more affordable alternative to the Minimoog. Its features of course go way beyond the Minimoog, but it might also be regarded as an alternative in terms of sound. While the Grandmother (I mention that one as it's already out there) doesn't sound exactly like a Minimoog, it does sound different to the Sub series and certainly the One. Its appeal is that it gives you some of those old Moog modular circuits which have been recreated at a fraction of the usual price thanks to SMT. So, for purists or those who crave the older Moog sound, the Matriarch could be a true alternative with a fairly large keyboard.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:21:41 AM by Paul Dither »

jok3r

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 03:59:08 AM »
Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on the Grandmother last week. I wanted to have one to pair it with my Rev2 for a new live band project. But then I read about Moogfest this week and decided to wait what might come here and also read about a the patent and rumors about Matriarch some weeks ago.

I WANT TO HAVE THIS! If the basic sound is like the grandmother which I tested at Thomann last week then it's already sold to me. Can't wait for Thomann to have it in their show room.

Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 07:00:05 AM »
Another way to look at it is as a powerful analog mono synth and a more affordable alternative to the Minimoog.

Yes, in this capacity it could be a strong instrument.  Perhaps there are some solutions to the limited modulation.  We're all so used to four LFOs around here!

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 07:17:34 AM »
Another way to look at it is as a powerful analog mono synth and a more affordable alternative to the Minimoog.

Yes, in this capacity it could be a strong instrument.  Perhaps there are some solutions to the limited modulation.  We're all so used to four LFOs around here!

Yes, the "spoiled by DSI" syndrome.  ;D

One can use each of the oscillators for modulation as well, though, but they will of course run at a rather fast rate. My guess is that one could probably still achieve a wide variety of modulations by using the utilities modules in a clever manner. Everything else would require actual hands-on experience or at least a manual. My plan is to give it a go at Superbooth.

One should still state that this is like a Minimoog plus two extra oscillators and a simple LFO – aside from its semi-modular nature, an onboard sequencer and arp, and a delay.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 07:20:14 AM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 07:32:48 AM »

OceanMachine

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 10:21:36 AM »
We're all so used to four LFOs around here!

*Except those of us with an OB-6 and/or P6... Which are 1000/800 more than what you were complaining about. At first that irked me, but with an upcoming expander soon available adding an additional three LFOs, I started to think perhaps such an addition is unnecessary after all. A lot of beautiful/pure classic tones that the two specialize in could easily get convoluted with too many options.

Perhaps given its nature, the Matriarch is a completely diff story... Either way I'm not interested in it, but it's good to see Moog get beyond mono-synths finally (well, at least since the Memorymoog) with this and The One.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:25:15 AM by Ocean Machine »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 11:05:33 AM »
Complaining?  That was more of a joke, although based on a happy fact. 

I prefer instruments that allow for the creation of the sounds needed for the music at hand - as limited as that range of sounds may be.  This is the reason I've long preferred Dave Smith's synthesizers.  What would frustrate me is trying to arrange a piece of music with sounds that are interesting and appreciable in their own right, but that don't provide what is actually needed.  I don't want the music to serve the synthesizer; I want the synthesizer to serve the music.  The music is first and foremost.

If a single LFO serves your musical needs, then God love ya.  But the ostensibly simple sounds that I design regularly require three or four LFOs, and much of that modulation is used to create subtle effects that contribute to the naturalness of the tones.  It takes an awful lot of synthesis to create a simple acoustic-sounding patch.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 11:13:29 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

OceanMachine

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 12:45:56 PM »
If a single LFO serves your musical needs, then God love ya. 

I've got different synths for different needs, thank ya.

jok3r

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 05:05:33 PM »
I don't have any Eurorack stuff by now, but I thought it would be possible to build a little case with some more LFOs and EGs and connect it with your Matriarch/Grandmother? Isn't it all about that in the modular world? Or did I miss something?

I thought about buying a Matriarch (and perhaps a Grandmother, too) as a nice starting point in the modular world. So I would have the most important moduls in a case with a keyboard and MIDI connections. I don't think I would by more oscillators and filters, because I really like the sound of the Moog modular stuff, but thought of building a little "Modulation Box" in a Eurorack case. Thought of some LFOS, EGs, this crazy Math module I've often seen by now, Attenuators, Mults, and so on. I thought I could use this Box with every synth or other Eurorack compatible system.

Please enlighten me, before I buy this thing with a plan in mind that will never work.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2019, 03:13:18 AM »
I don't have any Eurorack stuff by now, but I thought it would be possible to build a little case with some more LFOs and EGs and connect it with your Matriarch/Grandmother? Isn't it all about that in the modular world? Or did I miss something?

I thought about buying a Matriarch (and perhaps a Grandmother, too) as a nice starting point in the modular world. So I would have the most important moduls in a case with a keyboard and MIDI connections. I don't think I would by more oscillators and filters, because I really like the sound of the Moog modular stuff, but thought of building a little "Modulation Box" in a Eurorack case. Thought of some LFOS, EGs, this crazy Math module I've often seen by now, Attenuators, Mults, and so on. I thought I could use this Box with every synth or other Eurorack compatible system.

Please enlighten me, before I buy this thing with a plan in mind that will never work.

It would certainly work as you described above. I would, however, suggest to wait until the Matriarch is actually available, which might be around late summer or fall, depending on where you're located. Then compare it to the Grandmother and ask yourself whether you would really need a Matriarch if you're planning on building an external modular box anyway. I also suggest this because there are quite a few users who really like the spring reverb of the Grandmother, which isn't included in the Matriarch.

As for heading out into Eurorack territory: It will always be important to follow your actual musical needs and to have at least a rough understanding about why you would need a specific module. Given that you narrowed it down to a couple of utilities modules and additional modulators, though, it seems to me like you already have a pretty good idea of how to expand the functionality of a semi-modular system.

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2019, 04:41:21 AM »
My plan is to give it a go at Superbooth.

I may well see you there, I plan on going on the Thursday.

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 05:27:45 AM »
My plan is to give it a go at Superbooth.

I may well see you there, I plan on going on the Thursday.

Cool. Just shoot me a PM if you're up for a meeting.