Plugging CV controllers into OB-6 pedals inputs

Plugging CV controllers into OB-6 pedals inputs
« on: April 08, 2019, 09:10:09 AM »
First post here so, hello earthlings, here I am, hoping to answer some of your questions and receive some input from all of you, wise people.

I just ordered an OB-6, but it won't be arriving in 2 weeks o so. Thus, I haven't had the chance of experimenting myself with the wonderful machine.

I was wondering, can I use CV controllers plugged into the "Filter cutoff Expression Pedal Input" and the "Volume Expression Pedal Input" to modulate the filter cutoff/VCA? I'd like to use my Moog CP-251's LFO to modulate the Filter Cutoff/VCA, so I could "add" an extra LFO to the OB-6.

Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks!!
DSI OB-6
Moog One
Moog Minimoog Voyager
Moog SirinMoog MF-104M
Moog MF-101
Roland SH-101
Karp Odyssey
Nord Rack 2
Behringer VC340 Vocoder
Novation Bass Station II
Roland TR-8S
Ableton Push 2
Moog MF-103
Moog Theremini

Re: Plugging CV controllers into OB-6 pedals inputs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 09:03:44 AM »
Surfermax,

Welcome to the forum.   I hadn't really thought about using external lfo,  but I will check and see if this can be routed as such.  I think there was some talk about this, possibly here on the forum, a few years back.   
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 12:11:18 PM »
Yes, this works quite well.  I tried it with CV out of a Pittsburgh Modular Foundation to the Filter pedal jack.  Might want to rig it where you can attenuate the amount of depth arriving from your LFO.  If you don't have a spare LFO laying around, some interesting rhythmic patterns can be used sort of like an LFO gotten using the the Pro2 sequence CV out to that same jack.   Glad you asked this Surfermax, as I had not really contemplated this much until now.  But this really adds another dimension to the OB6.   

A little LFO sidebox would be a nice project for someone.  Maybe battery powered, in which you could sync to OB6 clock would be a nice attachment for this "here to stay" synth.   
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 07:42:44 PM »
Yes, this works quite well.  I tried it with CV out of a Pittsburgh Modular Foundation to the Filter pedal jack.  Might want to rig it where you can attenuate the amount of depth arriving from your LFO.  If you don't have a spare LFO laying around, some interesting rhythmic patterns can be used sort of like an LFO gotten using the the Pro2 sequence CV out to that same jack.   Glad you asked this Surfermax, as I had not really contemplated this much until now.  But this really adds another dimension to the OB6.   

A little LFO sidebox would be a nice project for someone.  Maybe battery powered, in which you could sync to OB6 clock would be a nice attachment for this "here to stay" synth.

Awesome! I guess I could use my Moog CP-251 to get that extra LFO. It would be great to have a MIDI to CV converter to sync the CP-251’s LFO to the OB-6 clock. I think I might get a Kenton Pro Solo eventually.

Glad to hear my question gave you the “extra LFO” idea. Even happier to find out it works!
DSI OB-6
Moog One
Moog Minimoog Voyager
Moog SirinMoog MF-104M
Moog MF-101
Roland SH-101
Karp Odyssey
Nord Rack 2
Behringer VC340 Vocoder
Novation Bass Station II
Roland TR-8S
Ableton Push 2
Moog MF-103
Moog Theremini

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 06:24:12 AM »
It works, but only for positive CV (I think, between 0 and +5 V). Also, be aware that a very slow LFO into the Filter Cutoff will result in audible stepping, so apparently the CV stream is not slewed to make it smoother.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 07:28:45 AM »
It works, but only for positive CV (I think, between 0 and +5 V). Also, be aware that a very slow LFO into the Filter Cutoff will result in audible stepping, so apparently the CV stream is not slewed to make it smoother.

Indeed! I was just trying to figure out why I only heard positive sweeps and not negative.
DSI OB-6
Moog One
Moog Minimoog Voyager
Moog SirinMoog MF-104M
Moog MF-101
Roland SH-101
Karp Odyssey
Nord Rack 2
Behringer VC340 Vocoder
Novation Bass Station II
Roland TR-8S
Ableton Push 2