Chysn's Gear Rant Thread...

chysn

Re: Chysn's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #160 on: June 11, 2018, 07:50:14 AM »
ATM I can only do one voice at a time but a Doepfer A-138s is showing up next week and I'll then have a 4in 2out stereo with panning on each in, making it essentially a 2buss mixer to do a bit of simple routing as well as mix the two drum voices with.

Where did you get your A-138S? Are you in the U.S.? I've been looking for one forever and ever, but can only find them in Europe.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #161 on: June 12, 2018, 02:44:25 AM »
ATM I can only do one voice at a time but a Doepfer A-138s is showing up next week and I'll then have a 4in 2out stereo with panning on each in, making it essentially a 2buss mixer to do a bit of simple routing as well as mix the two drum voices with.

Where did you get your A-138S? Are you in the U.S.? I've been looking for one forever and ever, but can only find them in Europe.

Australia here.  Ordered it from a store in Tasmania called Patchable, though it seems I bought the last one as it's now listed as out-of-stock: https://www.patchcable.com.au/collections/doepfer/products/a-138s-mini-stereo-mixer

Just checked the tracking no. and Auspost says it's arriving tomorrow, and as fortune may have it, I'm not working.

chysn

« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2018, 12:31:06 PM »
I've been a bit scarce around here the last couple weeks. It was then that I got an Ornament and Crime module, and I've been buried in its code, learning its open-source firmware, and refining techniques of developing my own apps for it. There was basically no information available, so I started writing a blog for anybody who might wish to learn:

http://butmostlycrime.blogspot.com/

The culmination of this work, so far, has been a nice sequencer and a pong game that can be played by a modular synth. Ongoing work involves design of a multi-channel firmware extension called Hemisphere.

It's been a lot of fun, definitely more fun than Peaks.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

megamarkd

« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2018, 06:17:06 PM »
I've been a bit scarce around here the last couple weeks. It was then that I got an Ornament and Crime module, and I've been buried in its code, learning its open-source firmware, and refining techniques of developing my own apps for it. There was basically no information available, so I started writing a blog for anybody who might wish to learn:

The culmination of this work, so far, has been a nice sequencer and a pong game that can be played by a modular synth. Ongoing work involves design of a multi-channel firmware extension called Hemisphere.

The O&C modules arriving here seem to be all sold before they hit the ground, so might be worth a look into especially if you are currently hooked on moding yours', heheh

« Reply #164 on: June 24, 2018, 12:20:17 AM »

Very neat, nice job.

It is good it has that screen, something sorely missing from the Salt Module..

chysn

« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2018, 01:21:19 PM »
The fundamental difference there is something that's fast enough to process CV, vs. something that's fast enough and has good enough converters to handle DSP. I'd love to have something like Salt, but I frankly don't have any good ideas for interesting DSP applications. On the other hand, I'm totally overflowing with ideas for processing CV, and Ornament and Crime gives me tools realize those ideas.

Are you working on anything for Salt yet?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #166 on: June 26, 2018, 02:07:13 PM »
I have done a combined supersaw/quantiser/chord generator module so far, it's implemented like the original with naive saws that alias and a 4 pole high-pass on each of the fundamentals.

It is coded up to make use of the NEON SIMD, a 5 note chord (35 saw oscillators/35 hi pass filters) takes around 60us to calculate, so using a 16 sample buffer it should be able to handle around 200 oscillator/filter pairs.

The main issue is that the Salt uses an A7, I thought this would be pretty similar to the A8 but the A7 has some serious performance problems with floating point unless you use NEON, even on code that doesn't vectorise it is still quicker to use the NEON and just throw away the elements you are not using. This makes it a bit of a pain to write performant code especially as both clang and gcc don't do this automatically for you so you have to trick them.

I want to add a second mode with non-aliasing saws and also an arp with a trigger out but unfortunately time is a bit short at the moment :(
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:25:04 PM by BobTheDog »

ddp

« Reply #167 on: June 27, 2018, 11:15:14 AM »
I'm also interested in hearing how Ornament and Crime work out for you, I see they offer a Buchla card, very interesting.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

chysn

« Reply #168 on: June 28, 2018, 05:33:05 AM »
The main issue is that the Salt uses an A7, I thought this would be pretty similar to the A8 but the A7 has some serious performance problems with floating point unless you use NEON

Hey, at least you GET floating point numbers. Some of us have to shift bits to fake fixed-point arithmetic!

I'm also interested in hearing how Ornament and Crime work out for you, I see they offer a Buchla card, very interesting.

It's probably one of the best values out there, in terms of what it can do vs. what it costs. I don't really know much about the native firmware, as I started replacing it pretty much on day 1. Its interface is heavily menu-based, but in return you can configure pretty much everything.

To be honest, if the firmware wasn't open-source, I wouldn't have bothered with it, as I find this sort of interface tedious. But the underlying framework, mostly by Patrick Dowling and Tim Churches, is excellent. Those guys have been responsive and helpful, and I've been able to shape Ornament and Crime into pretty much exactly what I want.

My most recent project has been to build alternate firmware for running two small applets at once (Hemisphere). I've currently got about a dozen applets, which are basically like little modules.

Once that project is buttoned up, my next planned project is an implementation of an artificial neural network. Hemisphere has a Threshold Logic Neuron applet, two of which can be run at once, and I want to build a whole app around this idea.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

chysn

« Reply #169 on: January 16, 2020, 11:38:50 AM »
The probability that I'm going to buy a Pro 3 is nonzero.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2020, 12:06:27 PM »

The question is the , how much nonzero 😄
If you need me, follow the shadows...

chysn

« Reply #171 on: February 04, 2020, 06:03:41 PM »

At the moment I’ll put it at 84%
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:05:17 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #172 on: February 04, 2020, 08:27:16 PM »

At the moment I’ll put it at 84%

I'll try and raise that number by making a few demos then  ;D
If you need me, follow the shadows...

chysn

« Reply #173 on: February 05, 2020, 07:19:48 AM »
I'll try and raise that number by making a few demos then  ;D

Please do!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

chysn

Re: Chysn'sshoGear Rant Thread...
« Reply #174 on: September 29, 2020, 09:56:38 PM »
It's not a question of "if," Burr, but "which one?"

At 16 pounds, the standard Pro-3 can be moved easily from room to room. That's absurd. How often do I move synths from room to room? Never, that's how often. The SE is a showpiece that will elevate my music room. The wood is gorgeous. It's got the headphone jack up front where the cable won't hang over the keyboard. It's got the silkscreen panel.

I don't even know why the hell I'm even talking about it. I know what I'm going to do.

What else would I spend this money on, is the question. I could get a faster zoom lens and a standard Pro-3 for the price of an SE. No, you fool, your zoom lens is doing its job. f/5.6 is fine for daytime soccer games, so screw another damn lens. You know what you're going to do.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #175 on: September 30, 2020, 04:21:43 AM »
So the SE it is. This also seems to be your best bet when it comes to reading the display, as you've mentioned in another thread.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #176 on: September 30, 2020, 09:15:34 AM »
What else would I spend this money on, is the question. I could get a faster zoom lens and a standard Pro-3 for the price of an SE. No, you fool, your zoom lens is doing its job. f/5.6 is fine for daytime soccer games, so screw another damn lens. You know what you're going to do.

Please excuse the above post.  Chysn is experiencing extreme mental duress over a gorgeous instrument, and has been heard arguing out loud with himself for several days.   His family is deeply concerned.  :D

chysn

« Reply #177 on: September 30, 2020, 09:34:35 AM »

Please excuse the above post.  Chysn is experiencing extreme mental duress over a gorgeous instrument, and has been heard arguing out loud with himself for several days.   His family is deeply concerned.  :D

It's an inner war that's broken out into the open, like Iron Man and Captain America, or like Golem and Golem.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #178 on: September 30, 2020, 10:41:09 AM »
It's understandable.  The Pro 3 SE is a very alluring instrument, with all that lovely wood and the raised panel.  I would be happy to have one myself.

megamarkd

« Reply #179 on: September 30, 2020, 11:00:34 PM »

It's an inner war that's broken out into the open, like Iron Man and Captain America, or like Golem and Golem.

I think for me it's the latter of your two similes.  I've decided it's the SE, but then while the funds are accumulating, the Iridium keeps bouncing into my field of vision....as well as a Canon XA50 (I don't even know what I'd do with one of them but I want one!)