My Rev2 Ableton Patch Saving Midi Setup. - Gamechanger for me!

Hey guys, I'm posting a quick how-to video about my setup. This might be trivial to some but once I finally figured this all out it was the single greatest thing to happen to my workflow with the Rev2.  ;D

I use the CodeKnobs editor as the heart of this setup. It may be possible to rig something similar without it via Max4Live but this was foolproof and the creator helped me with multiple setup issues I had in the past.

I'm actually not a fan of using an editor to program and prefer to do everything on-board the Rev2 but having it run in the background allowed me freely tweak my Rev2, add Ableton effects and save the results as Racks in Ableton.

Re: My Rev2 Ableton Patch Saving Midi Setup. - Gamechanger for me!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 07:07:29 PM »
Just curious that why did you choose this over soundtower?
I’m wating my rev2 arrivals and thinking to buy one of them.

jok3r

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 04:44:52 AM »
I think this is a pretty nice way of organizing presets that you need for a specific project. If I understood everything right, the patches won't get saved on the Rev2 itself, right?

I have lots of sounds on my Rev2 that I never play live in my band, because I created them for some home projects... with this workflow I could free up memory for all my band stuff.... hm... perhaps I will give this a try.

I didn't care about Editors for the Rev2 very much... but used in this way... and just for "viewing" the settings I make on the unit itself... since I like Ableton Live very much and are planning to buy the Suite edition soon, perhaps the codeKnobs software is a great addition...
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 07:08:30 AM »
Just curious that why did you choose this over soundtower?

$$ - it was on sale at the time too I believe.

I think this is a pretty nice way of organizing presets that you need for a specific project. If I understood everything right, the patches won't get saved on the Rev2 itself, right?

I have lots of sounds on my Rev2 that I never play live in my band, because I created them for some home projects... with this workflow I could free up memory for all my band stuff.... hm... perhaps I will give this a try.

I didn't care about Editors for the Rev2 very much... but used in this way... and just for "viewing" the settings I make on the unit itself... since I like Ableton Live very much and are planning to buy the Suite edition soon, perhaps the codeKnobs software is a great addition...

Yeah, these patches don't get saved onto the Rev2. You'd have to do an additional save the normal way or through the Librarian if you want to do that.

This method does record the program Data. If you move to User 3 Patch 3, for example, and save it within Ableton, it will remember that slot.

My first patch on the Rev2 is just a customized INIT patch that I start with every session. All of the Ableton patches I make are technically still User 1 Program 1. It just records a different state for every single parameter tweak made.

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 01:02:10 PM »
Agree 1000%!

I've been using the CodeKnobs editor in Nuendo for quite a while. It is pretty bad ass to be able to treat a hardware synth like a VST instrument when it comes to saving and recalling presets. Love this setup! It is also another back up for your presets. If you lose the actual preset files, the Nuendo/Live project will still load the preset as it was when the project was last saved. I was able to salvage over 100 presets this way when my system drive went down without a warning last year. The Codeknobs preset files were on the system drive but my Nuendo projects were on a separate audio drive. Saved the day!

It's almost the perfect mix of analogue hardware and vst tech.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 01:07:15 PM by RobustAmerican »

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 03:57:47 PM »
Your video opened up a bunch of possibilities for me, so thank you for that. :)
However, I am using Soundtower on Ableton Live and when I modify the patch (as in your example), save it as a new sound on Live and then go back to the first (unmodified) patch, the recall does not seem to be working. Any clues as to what I might be doing wrong? Could it be that Soundtower's plug-in does not allow for the same flexibility of recall within Live as the CodeKnobs editor (certainly hope that's not the case)?
Apologies in advance for the ignorance here; I'm very new to all of this (recently got my Rev2).