Strings sounds

Strings sounds
« on: March 30, 2019, 01:02:42 PM »
I bought the P6 a few weeks ago and have spent some time making my own library of standard sounds. So far I have not been able to make decent strings sounds. The pluck sounds are ok but when I use slower filter slopes, the sounds tend to have a bit more brass than string character. Is this because of the sound character of the synth itself? Or do any of you have tips on how I should tweak strings sounds on the P6?

LoboLives

Re: Strings sounds
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 03:09:25 PM »
Bring the filter cutoff down to about 1-2 o clock maybe 3. Detune the second VCO a tad. Overall slop around the 10 o clock mark. Use the LFO to slowly modulate the frequency of VCO 2 very slowly.

Some of the original Prophet 5 presets have nice strings in them and they are in bank 400.

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 03:13:31 PM »
At around the 20 minute mark has the original Prophet 5 strings (patch 434) it’s one of my favorite sounds that I use a lot. Maybe back the filter off a bit more and extend the release and it might get you what you are looking for.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:15:24 PM by LoboLives »

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 12:27:34 AM »
Bring the filter cutoff down to about 1-2 o clock maybe 3. Detune the second VCO a tad. Overall slop around the 10 o clock mark. Use the LFO to slowly modulate the frequency of VCO 2 very slowly.

Some of the original Prophet 5 presets have nice strings in them and they are in bank 400.

Thank you for your help! 434 sounds great, I just adjusted osc 1 and 2 down one octave and added some chorus and reverb and it sounds exactly as I want. I studied how 434 is tweaked and it is basically much the same as my patch (two square osc with pw modulation, detune of osc 2, some slop etc). However, I had not found the "sweet spot" yet and needed to fine tweak some more. One more proof that the devil is in the details. As for one single string instruments like a cello etc I did only find one patch in the 400-bank, that is 412. Do you know about other similar patches?

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 11:17:38 AM »

Thank you for your help! 434 sounds great, I just adjusted osc 1 and 2 down one octave and added some chorus and reverb and it sounds exactly as I want. I studied how 434 is tweaked and it is basically much the same as my patch (two square osc with pw modulation, detune of osc 2, some slop etc). However, I had not found the "sweet spot" yet and needed to fine tweak some more. One more proof that the devil is in the details. As for one single string instruments like a cello etc I did only find one patch in the 400-bank, that is 412. Do you know about other similar patches?

I have to take another look. I would suggest putting the 434 patch in Unison mode with some Glide on it.