The Beer Thread

LoboLives

The Beer Thread
« on: March 28, 2019, 10:46:58 AM »
I'm just looking at all the cool vids from the Thomann Synth Reactor... and I like it very much to see all the more or less famous Youtubers having the same fun in Treppendorf that I have regularly. Especially when they go "wow look at all the stuff thoman has!"

This is my favorite gem

It not only show's the fun the people had in these days, but also show's the strength of our local German (especially Franconian) beer ;-)  I can't stop watching this. Marc Doty is such a funny person ;-)

FACTS:

jok3r

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 01:15:02 PM »
@LoboLives: haha... yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

But to tell the truth, I have problems comprehending what happens to our US visitors. I've never been to the states and therefore didn't drink American beer, yet. If you really think German beer is strong, then I'm really asking myself how you can get drunk in America at all (besides whiskey and stuff)?! I mean especially in Bavaria beer is almost part of your daily bread and butter... so what if I'm visiting the States and really need to get drunk, but don't like whiskey and wine? Ok, I'll stop making fun of it and ask a real question: how much % alcohol does the average beer have in the States?
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 03:47:26 PM »
@LoboLives: haha... yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

But to tell the truth, I have problems comprehending what happens to our US visitors. I've never been to the states and therefore didn't drink American beer, yet. If you really think German beer is strong, then I'm really asking myself how you can get drunk in America at all (besides whiskey and stuff)?! I mean especially in Bavaria beer is almost part of your daily bread and butter... so what if I'm visiting the States and really need to get drunk, but don't like whiskey and wine? Ok, I'll stop making fun of it and ask a real question: how much % alcohol does the average beer have in the States?

Well in the states it’s quite low (4-5%)  I’m in Canada and it’s a bit higher ( roughly 6%) but I honestly just drink imported stuff from Czech Republic, Holland, etc with my best friend. I also tend to be more of a wine and hard liquor guy than beer...it just bloats me too much.

jok3r

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 05:02:03 PM »
Well in the states it’s quite low (4-5%)  I’m in Canada and it’s a bit higher ( roughly 6%)

The average German beer is not even stronger. It also has about 5% on average. I read the comment from Marc Doty himself below this youtube video, where he statet that German beer needs warning signs for American visitors, so I assumed American beer must have much less alcohol. But if it's not percentage of alcohol, what is it that makes other people go crazy when they drink our beer? Perhaps we're all simply alcoholics and don't notice the alcohol anymore ;-)

Sorry for this beer discussion in this nice thread... but as a Franconian beer lover I'm really interested in such things. I will shut up about it now ;-)
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 07:06:19 PM »
...Unless you want to start a dedicated beer thread elsewhere....

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 07:51:41 PM »
Well in the states it’s quite low (4-5%)  I’m in Canada and it’s a bit higher ( roughly 6%)

The average German beer is not even stronger. It also has about 5% on average. I read the comment from Marc Doty himself below this youtube video, where he statet that German beer needs warning signs for American visitors, so I assumed American beer must have much less alcohol. But if it's not percentage of alcohol, what is it that makes other people go crazy when they drink our beer? Perhaps we're all simply alcoholics and don't notice the alcohol anymore ;-)

Sorry for this beer discussion in this nice thread... but as a Franconian beer lover I'm really interested in such things. I will shut up about it now ;-)

I do notice though when I’m in the states the beer tastes like it’s watered down.

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 08:36:29 AM »
This whole conversation sounds like it's from 1992. American beer hasn't been synonymous with Budweiser really in this century.

If anything is really wrong, it's that there are too many quick-turnaround stunt beers that substitute crazy flavors for subtle craft. Too many pale ales, especially IPAs, not enough lagers and stouts. But 8-9% abv is really common.

Nobody will have trouble getting drunk here on beer or otherwise.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 02:33:48 PM »
Since the other thread derailed from demo-weary to beer-thirsty, I decided to split the topics and to create this exclusive new beer thread. Please no Budweiser commercials, though.

With love,
Your barkeeper

jok3r

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 02:59:56 PM »
@Paul: very kind of you, thanks!

Drinking Budweiser is considered a sin where I'm living... with so much fantastic small local breweries around, it is a shame to drink the stuff from such big industrial breweries. And I'm not even talking about the taste ;-)

I remember reading somewhere that Franconia has the highest density of breweries per citizen, when it comes to traditional hop-malt-water beer (don't know how to describe it in English, sorry)... i don't talk about craft beer and the like. But I don't know if it's really true.

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 09:09:22 PM »
@Paul: very kind of you, thanks!

Drinking Budweiser is considered a sin where I'm living... with so much fantastic small local breweries around, it is a shame to drink the stuff from such big industrial breweries. And I'm not even talking about the taste ;-)

I remember reading somewhere that Franconia has the highest density of breweries per citizen, when it comes to traditional hop-malt-water beer (don't know how to describe it in English, sorry)... i don't talk about craft beer and the like. But I don't know if it's really true.

My above was not meant to denigrate German (or English, Belgian, or even French) beer in any way. It's just that the American beer scene has changed pretty drastically. It's gone from rice-water to "omg not another fruit IPA, I beg of you" in a generation. I'm hoping after a while of over-compensating, we'll calm down to a nice variety of well-made styles.

I'm a little sad that I'm not able to make it to Superbooth this year, because I'd really like to try more there. I've only had Altbier in Dusseldorf, which I quite liked.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 10:16:46 PM »
It's gone from rice-water to "omg not another fruit IPA, I beg of you" in a generation. I'm hoping after a while of over-compensating, we'll calm down to a nice variety of well-made styles.

It's not only over there, it's like that all over the world.  "Craft" beer has taken over with beer that has milk and chocolate and beetles and tree bark and camel sweat and the tears of 28yr old hipsters, all filtered through organic beard hair.  I'm over it, just give me a VB in a plain old schooner glass and please don't judge me for it!

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 01:21:55 PM »
Yeah it’s going mad, I don’t mind a hoppy beer but nowadays there seems to be a competition to make all beers hoppy nightmares, “American” style IPA type beers have taken over in the uk.

LoboLives

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 03:05:33 PM »
Yeah it’s going mad, I don’t mind a hoppy beer but nowadays there seems to be a competition to make all beers hoppy nightmares, “American” style IPA type beers have taken over in the uk.

This is likely why Dave sticks with Tequila.

chysn

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 07:30:35 PM »
This whole conversation sounds like it's from 1992. American beer hasn't been synonymous with Budweiser really in this century.

If anything is really wrong, it's that there are too many quick-turnaround stunt beers that substitute crazy flavors for subtle craft. Too many pale ales, especially IPAs, not enough lagers and stouts. But 8-9% abv is really common.

Nobody will have trouble getting drunk here on beer or otherwise.

^^^ This

I've had beer in Germany, and Czech Republic, and Ireland, and you won't have any problem finding beer of comparable quality in the U.S. in 2019. I'm just sorry that we've exported our penchant for gross IPAs across the pond. But at most breweries, if I simply eliminate the 50% of the menu that's IPAs, I'll usually find something I like.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 07:34:32 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 01:22:02 PM »
Sounds like many of us synth folks share an ideology on what makes a good beer :) 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 02:35:22 PM »
Sounds like many of us synth folks share an ideology on what makes a good beer :)
ProckGnosis on YouTube always seems to have some good selections.