keyboard in rev 2

andey

keyboard in rev 2
« on: April 19, 2019, 07:39:01 AM »
I have kurzweil k2661 with keyboard fatar tp-9 and prophet rev2. prophet rev2 has a poor quality keyboard compared to the k2661. these two keyboards are different.

OceanMachine

Re: keyboard in rev 2
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 08:24:00 AM »
More precisely you mean keybed and I suppose you're talking about the quality of the action, rather than the finish or whatnot. I've been looking at the Studiologic Sledge for example, which there are two versions of. One is the standard edition with TP/9S and the other is a special edition with TP/9S that features "new balanced springs" for improved response. Also, when I owned my REV2 I played it beside a P6 (which I now own) and thought the action of the latter to be superior for some reason. Myself as well as others have commented that the REV2 action feels lighter/cheaper. Whether this is due to different springs or merely psychological, requires substantiation from someone at Sequential.

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 09:40:12 AM »
I can attest that keyboards are an extremely personal choice - there are intense emotions expressed on other forums about precise weighting differences, etc.

To me, I would in no way want the keyboard on my Rev2 any *heavier* or *stiffer* than it already is - it's one of the more stiff feeling synth action keyboards I have and that's not, in my opinion, a good thing. On the other hand, because it's stiff, I do find it very suitable for parts one would typically hand a weighted board - such as DX7-style electric piano roles.

To me, it's a perfect compromise between a semi-weighted EP-style keyboard and an unweighted synth-style keyboard, not perfectly light for shredding or organ, but neither perfectly weighted for piano-style classical playing - a goldilocks in-between that suits a very wide range of playing styles and stays true to the synth intentions of the board.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 10:33:45 AM »
I've always felt that Fatar is overrated.
Pratt-Read used to be far superior for synth action. To my taste at least.
Even the in-house designed Chinese keybed on my Behringer DM12 has a better feel than the one on my REV2 (which is too stiff and bouncy for me, with too much travel).
But, then again like studiodc wrote, it's a very personal choice.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

andey

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 11:22:50 AM »
on k2661, the keyboard is made of high-quality plastic and has 100% stability on all keys

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 11:54:34 AM »
Ok.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 11:58:28 AM »
Behringer DM12 has a better feel than the one on my REV2

That is wild. Cannot say I share that opinion.

it's a very personal choice.

Really cannot be understated enough.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 12:00:09 PM by philroyjenkins »

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 05:36:09 PM »
I have kurzweil k2661 with keyboard fatar tp-9 and prophet rev2. prophet rev2 has a poor quality keyboard compared to the k2661. these two keyboards are different.

I felt Rev2 keys feels good enough. It's not the best but as a piano player's view('ve been playing for a decade as a professional) it's good enough for me.

and you don't want full 88 hammer touch for synth because it's different instrument compare to keyboards like fender rhodes, wuli, or even yamaha motif series, korg kronos etc...

it requires different technique although it's keyboard instruments.

but like above's statement, it's very personal. (I found keybed on moog sub37 is not so great, but my buddy who kiils on synth bass stuff, he loves it.)

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 05:48:17 PM »

I felt Rev2 keys feels good enough. It's not the best but as a piano player's view('ve been playing for a decade as a professional) it's good enough for me.

and you don't want full 88 hammer touch for synth because it's different instrument compare to keyboards like fender rhodes, wuli, or even yamaha motif series, korg kronos etc...

it requires different technique although it's keyboard instruments.

but like above's statement, it's very personal. (I found keybed on moog sub37 is not so great, but my buddy who kiils on synth bass stuff, he loves it.)

I've always loved the Nord synth action stuff and how "off on" it can be. I swear I could put a chip on that key, pull it down and flick it into my mouth by letting go.