Anyone switched from Keyboard to Desktop?

Anyone switched from Keyboard to Desktop?
« on: March 29, 2019, 12:52:11 PM »
Not sure what I'm asking about really. I think I just wanted to think aloud on this and maybe get some thoughts from you guys.

I'm considering going from the Keyboard version of the Rev2 to the desktop to save on space and also have it be more live friendly.

I don't gig at all at the moment but there are a few local events I want to start attending and playing at. Mostly low key coffee shop kinds of things but there seems to be a growing appreciation for non edm electronic stuff here. For what its worth, I'm never looking to get larger than just playing a few of these improv coffee shop things and random jams.

It's totally a personal thing but for whatever reason I feel really uncomfortable bringing a large expensive keyboard out somewhere as someone who isn't really a piano player. I'm going to be adding a Digitakt soon as a hub for sampling/drums/possibly sequencing the Rev2.

Having the Digitakt, a keystep and a a Rev2 desktop built into a neat and tidy pedalboard/flight case thing feels better to me for some reason. (I'm no stranger to DIY wood stuff)

All this being said, the Rev2 Keyboard is absolutely phenomenal and by far the best keybed I've ever played. Its currently my main keyboard for home/ableton stuff. I don't think I'd mind adding a quality midi controller in the future and to be honest I'd probably be doing way more practicing/playing on the portable live rig than any actual studio work for the foreseeable future anyways.

Its still a big decision for me though. Anyone have experience with the two? Is the knob spacing any different on the Desktop version, layout aside? Any of you guys go through something similar and regret it?

maxter

Re: Anyone switched from Keyboard to Desktop?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 03:25:09 PM »
The only con I know with the Desktop, and the sole reason why I opted for the key version instead, is that it's not readily rack-mountable like the Prophet 08. So I don't think they have cut any corners, size-wise, to cram everything in.

I can relate to your reasons for getting the desktop instead, when playing live and wanting to bring enough gear for ones arsenal, the footprint is important as to what gear I actually end up bringing or not. Rack is preferable when possible imo, for safety, ease of transport and being able to bring the most gear relative to footprint, and the instruments are less "exposed" to potential harm. There's just too many knobs on the Rev2 to fit into a rack module it seems...
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 04:01:26 PM »
The only con I know with the Desktop, and the sole reason why I opted for the key version instead, is that it's not readily rack-mountable like the Prophet 08. So I don't think they have cut any corners, size-wise, to cram everything in.

I can relate to your reasons for getting the desktop instead, when playing live and wanting to bring enough gear for ones arsenal, the footprint is important as to what gear I actually end up bringing or not. Rack is preferable when possible imo, for safety, ease of transport and being able to bring the most gear relative to footprint, and the instruments are less "exposed" to potential harm. There's just too many knobs on the Rev2 to fit into a rack module it seems...

Ah yeah rack mount would be cool. Bit of a missed opportunity.

In my situation I'd be going out with just Digitakt and Rev2 for now.

I'm leaning towards keeping my keyboard and just lugging it out but I'm going to try a week or two of just sequencing the Rev2 with DT. Not playing the keys at all.

If I can get by with this, it will be a pretty minimal setup and totally worth downsizing for. I'd just leave a midi keyboard at home. If I feel like I need keys to jam, it really isn't worth it to me to also lug a separate keyboard controller.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 04:35:44 AM »
It's not hard to get a rack shelf attachment and some L brackets and add a stand for the Rev2 atop a rack cabinet or case.  Also I think on the product page it states they kept the desktop's panel layout as close to the keyboard version as possible because they received a lot of positive feedback about ease of editing. 

MPM

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 08:33:26 PM »
Things to consider for keeping the keyboard, and you don’t have to have key skills, would be having the use of the mod and pitch wheels and after touch. Also, transposing arpeggios.
That’s 4 things that’ll add to your visual performance and let the audience make that connection between you and the music.
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 02:36:07 PM »
Things to consider for keeping the keyboard, and you don’t have to have key skills, would be having the use of the mod and pitch wheels and after touch. Also, transposing arpeggios.
That’s 4 things that’ll add to your visual performance and let the audience make that connection between you and the music.

Actually I'd plan on using something like a Keystep with it so I'd still have a keyboard, just a smaller one. To be honest its starting to sound less like a good idea since I'm just giving up my nice keybed for a smaller, less nice one. I did a virtual mock-up of the size difference and it definitely is something to think about still. I'd plan on building the separate units into a flight or suitcase kind of thing all powered and ready to go. Maybe with a small mixer thrown in as well. Just a totally different vibe then unpacking my entire rev2 keyboard, a stand, some kind of second tier for the digitakt etc etc.

One thing that I'm considering that I can't really test until I get a digitakt...

With the rev2 keyboard version I don't know if I could just as easily use the Rev2 as its own keyboard and as a controller for the Digitakt. I know I can but usually you switch tracks on the DT by changing the keyboards midi channel. There isn't a quick way to do this on the Rev2 and I noticed that even when changing the channel in the settings, the Rev2 still plays on all channels. Not sure how this will play out.

It would be a simpler setup with a Keystep serving as a master controller and only transmitting to the Rev2 on one of those channels.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 02:38:16 PM by philroyjenkins »

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 09:31:19 AM »
Hey guys, I made up my mind on this and thought I'd share my thoughts for the record in case anyone is in a similar boat in the future. This mostly applies to my own personal situation but maybe you'll relate.

Going to keep my keyboard version. Its the best keybed I've ever played and the prophet begs to be played as an instrument.

I need to get out of the habit of selling things I like just to fund new things I want. Moving my keyboard version to get the desktop version would have been a mistake for me in the long run.

I'm getting a digitakt soon and plan on mostly sequencing the Rev2 is some weird/rhythmic glitchy ways. For this setup, the desktop with a detachable keystep would really be ideal but I had to remind myself that this setup is most likely just a flavor of the month for me.

Nothing wrong with that at all, but I know there will be a time when I want to get back to basics and just play the Rev2 as an instrument again and I'd really be kicking myself in the ass if I got rid of my favorite keybed just to have a smaller more low key setup.

MPM

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 08:16:27 PM »
It's a question that regularly torments many.
Sometimes I regret selling my OBXa, because I could have fit 4 DSI modules and a Squarp on top of that truck, and now I wouldnt have an ever increasing tower of keyboards. But in the end its always too convenient to have dedicated keybeds.

Im interested to know how your pairing with the Digitact goes
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 08:19:02 PM by MPM »
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids