Rev2 Stuck in restart loop after update [SOLVED]

Rev2 Stuck in restart loop after update [SOLVED]
« on: March 29, 2019, 06:58:07 AM »
Hi there, I just updated the firmware on my REV2 to 1.1.5.9 using SysEx Librarian. Everything seemed to work ok, the whole process went down correctly until the restarting stage, which never stopped...  the synth is now stuck in a constant restart loop. The REV2 logo comes up, lights power on, I see the name of the preset which flashes once, then it powers off and does then same again. Pressing buttons or keys has no effect.

I have tried reloading the OS from the bootloader, and the same thing happens. I tried adjusting transfer speeds in Sysex Librarian, and nothing helps.

Any ideas? Please help!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:09:52 PM by extempo »

Re: Rev2 Stuck in restart loop after update
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 12:36:47 PM »
I think there's a special way to boot the Rev2 using some kind of button press & hold as it powers up.  I don't remember the details, maybe someone else can chime in or else it's in one of the old posts you could search.

Hopefully you've reached out to Sequential support directly.  They'll get you squared away.
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 07:24:12 PM »
Hi there, I just updated the firmware on my REV2 to 1.1.5.9 using SysEx Librarian. Everything seemed to work ok, the whole process went down correctly until the restarting stage, which never stopped...  the synth is now stuck in a constant restart loop. The REV2 logo comes up, lights power on, I see the name of the preset which flashes once, then it powers off and does then same again. Pressing buttons or keys has no effect.

I have tried reloading the OS from the bootloader, and the same thing happens. I tried adjusting transfer speeds in Sysex Librarian, and nothing helps.

Any ideas? Please help!

Where did you get your sysex file for 1.1.5.9 from ?
Have you tried sending a previous firmware version to your REV2 (in Bootloader mode) ?

Psionic11 :
I think your talking about holding Transpose Down, Up, and Glide buttons down whilst powering up the synth, right ? That will bring up the Bootloader that he's talking about, to send the firmware update sysex file to the REV2.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 07:26:42 PM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 07:07:20 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Yes, I can hold down the glide button and go into bootloader mode, this allows me to try to reload the OS, but after loading I'm just back to the same issue. I got the Sysex file from the sequential website. I thought of trying to reload the older firmware, but unfortunately I couldn't find an older version anywhere online. Maybe someone here could share one or point me to a link?

I contacted Sequential, but haven't had a reply yet.

Thanks again.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »
Maybe trying a different program to send your SYSEX file might help.

I used MIDI-OX and Rev2 connected directly to desktop PC to update.

Good luck.
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 01:30:27 PM »
Try to reduce the upload speed while sending your SYSEX file.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 05:02:14 PM »
I've uploaded the last firmware revision before 1.1.5.9, which was 1.1.5.6 to my dropbox file sharing site.
It also came from the DSI website.
Also, are you sending the sysex file thru USB ? If not, maybe you should try that, since Sequential also recommend using USB for firmware updates instead of DIN MIDI connectors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhf6sysh0ndtytq/Rev2_Main_1.1.5.6.syx?dl=0

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 03:26:35 AM »
I've uploaded the last firmware revision before 1.1.5.9, which was 1.1.5.6 to my dropbox file sharing site.
It also came from the DSI website.
Also, are you sending the sysex file thru USB ? If not, maybe you should try that, since Sequential also recommend using USB for firmware updates instead of DIN MIDI connectors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhf6sysh0ndtytq/Rev2_Main_1.1.5.6.syx?dl=0

Thanks so much for this, and to the others for your suggestions. Originally I did the update via USB but with the bootloader it's only possible via MIDI. I did try reducing the transfer speed too, but will try again with this version of the firmware when I get to the studio this afternoon. Thanks again guys!

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 06:50:21 AM »
It worked!! ;D I loaded up the 1.1.5.6 firmware from AlainHubert and everything came back to life as normal, so I guess it must be something with that new file. I tried downloading it again in case it had become corrupt or something... strange that it only seems to have happened to me. Anyway, fixed for now! Thanks again guys 👍🏼🙏🏼

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 02:40:25 PM »
Glad to see that it worked ! Woohoo !  ;D
If you want, I could put the very version 1.1.5.9 that I'm currently using in my REV2 online also ?

EDIT: I've uploaded it anyway, here is Prophet REV2 firmware 1.1.5.9 which works perfectly in my REV2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5uo4sohsd7i16kq/Rev2_Main_1.1.5.9.syx?dl=0
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 02:50:57 PM by AlainHubert »

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 12:06:06 PM »
It worked!! ;D I loaded up the 1.1.5.6 firmware from AlainHubert and everything came back to life as normal, so I guess it must be something with that new file. I tried downloading it again in case it had become corrupt or something... strange that it only seems to have happened to me. Anyway, fixed for now! Thanks again guys 👍🏼🙏🏼

Maybe you can add "(solved)" to the subject title. Makes it slightly easier for other people to find a solution, if necessary.
DSI Prophet Rev2 16 voice, Arturia Drumbrute Impact, Tascam DP-008 EX

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 12:10:41 AM »

Maybe you can add "(solved)" to the subject title. Makes it slightly easier for other people to find a solution, if necessary.

Hi Jeroen! I think a moderator has already done that :) Technically the issue isn't completely solved yet, as I am still unable to make the latest update work on my rev2. I'm in talks with sequential about it, so will definitely update here if and when I find a full solution!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:14:11 AM by Ainz »

Re: Rev2 Stuck in restart loop after update [SOLVED]
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 09:31:44 AM »
Sorry to read about that, Ainz. I don't quite understand why 1.1.5.9 wouldn't work on your REV2 ?
But glad to see that Sequential is working with you to find out why. And thanks for the update...

maxter

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 12:03:20 PM »
Something similar happened to me with a specific OS update (a "bug" or something that didn't seem to happen to anyone else), I believe it was the 1.1.4.4 OS that changed every NRPN parameter on my Rev2, so that it didn't work right with editors. I never got it to work with that particular OS, but haven't had the problem since with any other OS. 1.1.4.5 "solved" the problem, but I still wonder what the actual problem was, as it didn't happen to anyone but me.

I got lots of help trying to solve it here on the forum though, thankfully, which made me lose less of my mind over the issue.  :o
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 01:06:26 PM »
Hi Ainz, good luck getting the latest OS installed. Personally I’m hesitating to upgrade, because my last upgrade to 1.1.4.29 resulted in some interaction with tech support. That was sorted out quite quickly, but I am still gathering courage for the next upgrade.
DSI Prophet Rev2 16 voice, Arturia Drumbrute Impact, Tascam DP-008 EX

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 04:43:16 AM »
Hi all, thought I'd update you with the latest... turns out I have a faulty PC board! Luckily the synth is still under warranty, and I have to say that the support rom DSI has been great. So strange though, everything else on the synth seems to be fine, and I can even downgrade to other versions of the firmware with no issues.

Anyway, mystery solved I guess. Thanks to everyone here for your contributions!

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 05:11:58 AM »
Hi Ainz, good luck getting the latest OS installed. Personally I’m hesitating to upgrade, because my last upgrade to 1.1.4.29 resulted in some interaction with tech support. That was sorted out quite quickly, but I am still gathering courage for the next upgrade.

I'd certainly update to the latest. I thought mine was broken at first until I updated because of the stuck noise problem on certain patches (play patch I think it was F1 P68 or F1 P69 for a new notes. Now play any other patch, and it'll have a harsh noise in the background on every patch you play until you reboot the unit. F1 P74 is eharp, and really quiet, so the noise is really apparent on it once you've played the other patches. Note, you have to play the patch, not just load the patch otherwise the problem won't start.) Two different patches addressed the issue since 1.1.5.9

Devon

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2019, 05:16:51 AM »
Yes, I forgot to mention that DSI will be sending me a replacement PC board, and then everything should be fine!