Made a demo showing a weirder side of the Rev2

Made a demo showing a weirder side of the Rev2
« on: March 20, 2019, 12:46:07 PM »
Hey guys, finally figured out how to record/sync video so I'm going to be making some little jam videos showing the weirder sides of the Rev2. I'd be happy to go into some patch details if anyone was interested. Mostly a self OSC Filter with hands on decay/release twiddlin and some audiomod FM brought in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUu8vOr_ngI&feature=youtu.be

Re: Made a demo showing a weirder side of the Rev2
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 08:18:52 PM »

Its too late for me to delete or edit this but I've since figured out how to add text to video and I made a new youtube channel dedicated to making noise on the Rev2 with a more tutorial like approach. This is a diff vid, but should be more informative and hopefully give you some cool ideas for your Rev2.

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 10:30:13 PM »
Right on Philroy, love all these textures and metallic beauties.  Great sounds you’ve got out of this board.  We have had our Rev2 for over a year now and just started a new tune with 4 patches we made on this thing and it still makes me giddy hearing the vast textures and colors of sounds this damn thing is able to produce, and unlike some of you here we don’t even scratch the surface!  It’s all about the flavors y’all....we have old Junos and new Moogs and like them, this Rev2 here is bangin’
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 10:31:39 AM »
Right on Philroy, love all these textures and metallic beauties.  Great sounds you’ve got out of this board.  We have had our Rev2 for over a year now and just started a new tune with 4 patches we made on this thing and it still makes me giddy hearing the vast textures and colors of sounds this damn thing is able to produce, and unlike some of you here we don’t even scratch the surface!  It’s all about the flavors y’all....we have old Junos and new Moogs and like them, this Rev2 here is bangin’

Have any links to examples with Rev2? Show me your stuff bud!

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 06:09:37 PM »
Philroy, yes! but we only have examples of our sounds made with our rev 2 in our full songs. Here are a few tunes that are made entirely with the Rev 2, except for percussion/drums.

Hope you enjoy =)

SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 09:54:43 AM »
Philroy, yes! but we only have examples of our sounds made with our rev 2 in our full songs. Here are a few tunes that are made entirely with the Rev 2, except for percussion/drums.

Hope you enjoy =)

Oooh, I really dig that first one! Cool stuff man. Do you guys produce yourselves? It sounds pro! If you ever come through Florida, I'd love to go see you guys.

Also consider trying Rev2 on drums :D - I don't want to spam anymore full links so /watch?v=nIdjPrBlg6c .

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 02:06:44 PM »
Philroy yes, Luna and I both produce everything that we do ourselves, from designing patches on our synths to the mixing and the mastering.  The first tune Blurred Visions, the synthbass is straight REV2 no processing or effects other than slight EQ to bring out a little 4K bite.  We didn’t even have to EQ the low end one bit so thats straight Rev2 bass frequencies.  Ahhh my favorite sound in the song though is the longer slow attack sound it’s in a few places in the tune also at the every end of the track, but that sound is also 100% Rev2 no outside processing or effects.  It is actually made from the same bass patch of the song, just used Rev2 reverb, Mix At 127, and tracked it in sweeping by hand Parameter 2 “Reverb Tone” from 127 down to 0, which basically acted as a filter.

The 2nd tune “in Pieces” that synthbass is also 100% Rev2, the chorusy effect of the sound is one of the flangers on the Rev2, can’t remember which one or the parameters either, but I do know that is all Rev2 sound. 

We just finishing buying the rest of the gear that we need to be able to take our show on the road for live sets and we have a few promoters in Tampa, Orlando, and Miami that want to bring us down there so I will let you know if anything ever pops up.  It would be really cool to meet you Philroy! 

Have had our Rev2 for almost a year and a half now and never fails to keep on inspiring us with its sound.  We have a Korg Minilogue XD on pre order and we hope that with all its features it will be inspiring for a long time like our Rev2.

If you have any other sounds or videos you’ve done with the Rev2 I’m always all ears!  I’ll check the link. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:39:17 PM by S Y Z Y G Y X »
www.syzygyxmusic.com

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 12:30:21 PM »
Philroy yes, Luna and I both produce everything that we do ourselves, from designing patches on our synths to the mixing and the mastering.  The first tune Blurred Visions, the synthbass is straight REV2 no processing or effects other than slight EQ to bring out a little 4K bite.  We didn’t even have to EQ the low end one bit so thats straight Rev2 bass frequencies.  Ahhh my favorite sound in the song though is the longer slow attack sound it’s in a few places in the tune also at the every end of the track, but that sound is also 100% Rev2 no outside processing or effects.  It is actually made from the same bass patch of the song, just used Rev2 reverb, Mix At 127, and tracked it in sweeping by hand Parameter 2 “Reverb Tone” from 127 down to 0, which basically acted as a filter.

The 2nd tune “in Pieces” that synthbass is also 100% Rev2, the chorusy effect of the sound is one of the flangers on the Rev2, can’t remember which one or the parameters either, but I do know that is all Rev2 sound. 

We just finishing buying the rest of the gear that we need to be able to take our show on the road for live sets and we have a few promoters in Tampa, Orlando, and Miami that want to bring us down there so I will let you know if anything ever pops up.  It would be really cool to meet you Philroy! 

Have had our Rev2 for almost a year and a half now and never fails to keep on inspiring us with its sound.  We have a Korg Minilogue XD on pre order and we hope that with all its features it will be inspiring for a long time like our Rev2.

If you have any other sounds or videos you’ve done with the Rev2 I’m always all ears!  I’ll check the link.
Wow man you guys make some amazing music. Great rhythms, fast bass lines, many layers. Loving it, thanks!
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 12:30:42 AM »
Very nice stuff  :D

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 09:53:24 AM »
Some people fret over whether they can nail the Jump chords, and other guys just get what the Rev 2 is all about and make stuff like this. Good stuff!

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 07:28:04 PM »
Gerry Havinga, thank you so much that’s very flattering to us!  We really hope you enjoy “is That all There is” LP!   When Luna showed me someone had bought our LP, I recognized your name from this forum!! Again, thank you for support!! :) you’re awesome !
www.syzygyxmusic.com

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 06:33:59 AM »
Gerry Havinga, thank you so much that’s very flattering to us!  We really hope you enjoy “is That all There is” LP!   When Luna showed me someone had bought our LP, I recognized your name from this forum!! Again, thank you for support!! :) you’re awesome !
Of course, really enjoy playing your album in the car on my daily commute! Somehow the traffic jams are a lot more interesting, ha ha. I hope I am not the only one buying your album  8)

It is so nice to listen to how you make the Rev2 come to life, in a more raw kind of way. Inspiring!
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 09:56:13 AM »
If you have any other sounds or videos you’ve done with the Rev2 I’m always all ears!

Made a new one showing that "Burnt" sound you liked from another thread.

Also I can't find where our other convo ended but I'd definitely drive out to Miami or Tampa from O-town. What's the best place to follow you guys and get updates if you tour? E: found ya on insta.

We have a place here in Orlando called The Plaza that I could see you guys playing at. I went there recently to see Bauhaus but Peter Murphy was too messed up and the show never started!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:02:17 AM by philroyjenkins »

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 01:13:37 PM »
If you have any other sounds or videos you’ve done with the Rev2 I’m always all ears!

Made a new one showing that "Burnt" sound you liked from another thread.

Also I can't find where our other convo ended but I'd definitely drive out to Miami or Tampa from O-town. What's the best place to follow you guys and get updates if you tour? E: found ya on insta.

We have a place here in Orlando called The Plaza that I could see you guys playing at. I went there recently to see Bauhaus but Peter Murphy was too messed up and the show never started!

Nice!   Nothing wrong with killin' robots!  That used to be my actual job.   

So many cool textures and sound design ideas in this video...  Nice work philroy!.. you deserve a bucket o' chicken!

I've spent some time experimenting with Audio Out as Mod Source, but still can't wrap my head around exactly how it works from a technical standpoint...  ie:  where is the Audio Out sampled at?  Is it just based on total amplitude?  What's the output value range?   Is it setup similar to the Feedback Loop from other DSI products?   Chris, Carson, Mark?   Can anyone shed a bit more light on technical details of Audio Out as a source?   Would love to know deets.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 01:58:56 PM by creativespiral »

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 01:59:02 PM »
Audio Out is the digitized audio signal after the Amplifier VCA. It's an odd one, indeed, but it can be fun and useful. You can think of it as an amplitude based modulator, but the harmonic content also plays a part, of course.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 04:14:40 PM »
Audio Out is the digitized audio signal after the Amplifier VCA. It's an odd one, indeed, but it can be fun and useful. You can think of it as an amplitude based modulator, but the harmonic content also plays a part, of course.

Thanks for the response!...  That sheds a little more light, but I'm still trying to understand what exactly the output numbers are... Am I right in assuming that at any given point in time, Audio Out source will be outputting a single decimal/float value, like other mod slots? 

Or does it use a totally different modulation output paradigm?  If so, how does that work when destination is expecting a single decimal/float value? 

I was sort of assuming that it was summed mono amplitude, directly proportional to output, but your mention of harmonic content makes me think not... and intrigues me. 

Is there some FFT analysis going on with highest amplitude bins determining value?... Is it highest amplitude FFT bin -> scaled -> to output? 

Any further tech details would be much appreciated!!   Thanks!   
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 04:17:10 PM by creativespiral »

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 05:31:05 PM »
You can think of it as an amplitude based modulator, but the harmonic content also plays a part, of course.

Makes sense. Its always "felt" like an envelope follower to me, I have a mooger MF101 that reacts similarly in some settings.

Nice work philroy!.. you deserve a bucket o' chicken! 

I'm happy people have been stoked about these vids in general but this has to be my favorite accolade by far.