Sustain not a mod Destination!!???Please put this in update!!!!

Could this be added to the destination of the LFO's and MOD??? and why wasn't it?

Thanks so much

jb

Re: Sustain not a mod Destination!!???Please put this in update!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 01:47:22 AM »
This isn’t a destination in the Pro 2 either and it’s a shame. I wonder if there’s some hardware restriction which prevents it. I have another digital synth which has filter and amp sustain as a mod destination and its incredibly useful.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 01:52:38 AM »
Sustain is rarely a destination in ANY synth if you look carefully... I'm not totaly shure why, but I believe it has to do with the way the Sustain point is reached algorithmically or in analog if it's an analog envelope... if it compares the envelope output with the sustain value somehow, and use that comparison to hold the envelope, then if a modulation suddenly change the sustain value to something higher, then the envelope may continue on it's downward slope instead of following the sustain value up...

I bet this is related to why Sustain is not a destination in many synths... but I'm certain that if the envelope was coded differently that it should work...

This is just guesswork, but when I programmed an envelope years back (For a C64 SID synth with a microcontroller), I recall running into exactly that problem, which also made the sustain parameter to be excluded from the destinations.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 03:44:41 PM »
Yeah it largely kills me that you can’t assign it by layer. I want to be able to play chords in L hand, leads in right, sus peda the chords, tweak the lead

jok3r

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 01:55:57 AM »
Yeah it largely kills me that you can’t assign it by layer. I want to be able to play chords in L hand, leads in right, sus peda the chords, tweak the lead

I think you missed something. It's not about sustaining notes per foot pedal. It's about the sustain stage of the envelopes not being a mod destination.

But I can understand your problem. That would be a nice feature, too.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 12:22:05 PM »
It would be a nice destination to have... I've wondered about this as well.

I sometimes use two mod slots to simultaneously raise cutoff and reduce Env Amt... which produces a result that would be similar to increasing the sustain value... (you can target a similar Attack Height and Sustain Value, although also adjusts the starting point of cutoff as well, resulting in less attack/decay range).   

I believe the below is a correct math representation.
Sustain Amt is a Percentage of Env Amount: 

Actual Sustain Amount added to Cutoff = Sustain Value / 127 * (Env Amount + Velocity Env Amount)

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral