Tip: how to get fuller low end

Tip: how to get fuller low end
« on: March 16, 2019, 11:35:51 AM »
Just thought I'd share this technique I've been using lately to get a deeper low end profile for sounds I'm creating.  Basically you're using the High Pass filter maxed out on Mix and Resonance.  Depending on which low end frequencies you want to boost, set the Cutoff around 10 or so.

FX Type:  HP Filter
FX Mix:  127
Param 1: Cutoff ~ 10 - 20
Param 2: Resonance 127

Lower the Resonance as a sort of volume for the low end.  Change the FX Mix if you want to color the sound more with the mix of HP filter and the original sound.

You'll need a way to reproduce sub frequencies loudly to fully appreciate what this does.

Another way to favor the bass end is to mod VCA by Note Number.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 11:51:54 AM by psionic11 »
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
Re: Tip: how to get fuller low end
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 07:18:08 AM »
I just used this trick on a new patch that I made and threw a bassline down with some drums and damn I say it super fills out the low end....fat ass butt bass over here with this trick!!
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 09:29:35 AM »
Bass!
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 02:35:31 PM »
The ultimate bass enhancer on the Rev2 is the distortion fx. You are basically sacrificing the fun fx like chorus, phaser and echo to gain a compressor with a tone control. I say compressor because that is part of what distortion will do to a signal. Low levels of distortion will firm up any lower octave content no matter what the sound. Mix at 100% wet. Parameter 1 around 140-168 (but you can hear it starting to enhance the signal with much lower levels) Parameter 2 needs to work with the character of the sound. Sometimes all the way down (0) still lets enough through. Sometimes you have to open it up a bit. The distortion fx is matched very well with the Rev2's sound. I mean it doesn't sound like an fx slapped on top. It becomes part of the sound in a very organic way.

The HP filter can be very useful too for this but I find it's sweet spot to be a little on the narrow side. "Note Number" to the HP cutoff or res can help a little here though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 02:39:55 PM by RobustAmerican »

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 10:45:52 PM »
Dude Chimpo we absolutely love your sound design on the Rev2 and will get the banks soon but want you to know they are the best banks (as far as our taste goes) that we have heard made on this board.  You’re right on with The distortion, it is very organic on the Rev2, it becomes part of the sound not just some cruddy grit on top of a sound.  Fucking love this whomever feels the Rev2 is weak, just go find a new hobby, play the ol’ washboard or better yet the ol’ Skinflute, one of my favorites!
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 09:40:30 PM »
Just thought I'd share this technique I've been using lately to get a deeper low end profile for sounds I'm creating.  Basically you're using the High Pass filter maxed out on Mix and Resonance.  Depending on which low end frequencies you want to boost, set the Cutoff around 10 or so.

Lower the Resonance as a sort of volume for the low end.  Change the FX Mix if you want to color the sound more with the mix of HP filter and the original sound.

You'll need a way to reproduce sub frequencies loudly to fully appreciate what this does.

I prefer the second option to mod VCA by note number since using effects 100% makes your sound 100% digital. This being said the rev sound is what it is (andnot bad). For more bass I would recommend buying a 8 voices rev2 and investing the remaining money on a complementary machine.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 01:39:12 AM »
Dude Chimpo we absolutely love your sound design on the Rev2 and will get the banks soon but want you to know they are the best banks (as far as our taste goes) that we have heard made on this board.  You’re right on with The distortion, it is very organic on the Rev2, it becomes part of the sound not just some cruddy grit on top of a sound.  Fucking love this whomever feels the Rev2 is weak, just go find a new hobby, play the ol’ washboard or better yet the ol’ Skinflute, one of my favorites!

You are too kind...really.  :) Thanks.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 02:25:09 PM »

For more bass I would recommend buying a 8 voices rev2 and investing the remaining money on a complementary machine.

Yep, that's what my Minitaur is for.  Layered on channel 2 with Rev2 left hand bass..  8)