Things I can't figure out how to do (on Day 1)

Things I can't figure out how to do (on Day 1)
« on: March 16, 2019, 08:37:02 AM »
Just getting to know this instrument, but there are 2 basic things that I can't figure out how to do (so far.) Here's #1:
1) If I want Oscillator 1 to sound softer on the lower keys than the higher ones, ("scale" its level) and ultimately not sound at all near the bottom keys, if I assign Note Number to Osc1 Level, and give it a negative value, even if the actual Oscillator Level is set to 0 (with its knob) - the Prophet X doesn't seem to make that Oscillator diminish in volume as I go down to the lower keys. In fact with any value ≠0 in that Mod configuration, it's impossible to make any of the notes not sound (even with the Hardware Osc 1 knob in the Mixer at 0. Is it always a positive offset, and, if so, is this limitation wise? You can make a good Al Green organ sound, like 800 000 006 on a Hammond here, but as you go lower on the keyboard that high harmonic (Osc1 in my case) should diminish in level, ideally, disappear.
The only plausible, but regrettable explanation I can imagine is that Note Number, being  0 through 127 is just added. Ideally, there would be a split point, or a default in the middle of the keyboard. I'm going to try adding another modulation routing where I use DC negatively on that oscillator's level. Will report back. Thanks. I should start sleeping again in a few weeks lol.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:16:14 AM by tommym »
T8, Tempest, OB6, Prophet X. 8DIO Prophet 5 add-on, Sample Packs from Lady Gaia (synth waveforms) and Modulatable.com (Moog One.)

Shaw

Re: Things I can't figure out how to do (on Day 1)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 11:21:44 AM »
I think perhaps because the Prophet X is a 5 octave keyboard, so you can’t get Osc 1 to 0 volume because you don’t have enough keys.   You might also try adding a negative DC offset value (in addition to the note number) to help achieve what you’re trying to do.

***edit — I posted my response before reading your second paragraph where you mentioned negative DC values... :)      I think you are on the right track.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 12:39:04 PM by Shaw »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 12:41:04 PM »
I think perhaps because the Prophet X is a 5 octave keyboard, so you can’t get Osc 1 to 0 volume because you don’t have enough keys.   You might also try adding a negative DC offset value (in addition to the note number) to help achieve what you’re trying to do.

***edit — I posted my response before reading your second paragraph where you mentioned negative DC values... :)      I think you are on the right track.

THANK you SHAW - great minds think alike - I may have heard you thinking that when it occurred to me. :)
What it did for a quick fix, was make a split with the lower (A) zone having a different mix with none of Osc 1 in it anywhere. The only slight drag is less polyphony in the RH, but heck, it's an organ, right?
T8, Tempest, OB6, Prophet X. 8DIO Prophet 5 add-on, Sample Packs from Lady Gaia (synth waveforms) and Modulatable.com (Moog One.)

Shaw

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 12:45:09 PM »

THANK you SHAW - great minds think alike - I may have heard you thinking that when it occurred to me. :)
What it did for a quick fix, was make a split with the lower (A) zone having a different mix with none of Osc 1 in it anywhere. The only slight drag is less polyphony in the RH, but heck, it's an organ, right?
I would have though DC + Note Number would have done the trick....  You couldn't get what you were after with that?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 05:40:11 PM »

I would have though DC + Note Number would have done the trick....  You couldn't get what you were after with that?

At first I thought it didn't work! :o  (see photo)
The DC mod did work, diminishing the level, but the Note Number did not seem to have any effect.
I tried all 4 possible permutations, and also with the Octave Buttons maxed. It was NoGo.
Then i started messing around with the (sample) Instruments, without reinitializing the Patch (which was the Starter Patch of course.)
AND, by accident, when I turned the Oscillators back on in Mixer, I found that these settings DID have the desired effect:
Note Number -127
DC +47
(both applied to Oscillator 1 Level.
I guess you have to tweak to make it speak!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:44:20 PM by tommym »

Shaw

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 05:54:08 PM »

At first I thought it didn't work! :o  (see photo)
The DC mod did work, diminishing the level, but the Note Number did not seem to have any effect.
I tried all 4 possible permutations, and also with the Octave Buttons maxed. It was NoGo.
Then i started messing around with the (sample) Instruments, without reinitializing the Patch (which was the Starter Patch of course.)
AND, by accident, when I turned the Oscillators back on in Mixer, I found that these settings DID have the desired effect:
Note Number -127
DC +47
(both applied to Oscillator 1 Level.
I guess you have to tweak to make it speak!
Congrats!