separate output routing with mixer & MPC 1000

separate output routing with mixer & MPC 1000
« on: February 26, 2016, 02:47:58 PM »
A program has 2 layers, A and B.
Each layer can contain a different patch.
Layers can be combines as splits and stacks.
If you plug additional cables into Output B, the sound of B will be  sent to Output B, for separate layering of the two layers.

Multimode allows separate MIDI control of voices 1-4 and 5-8. This enables independent, bi-timbral control of the Prophet.
Multimode is intended for use with an external sequencer controller.
When Multimode is On, the '08 responds to MIDI data on 2 consecutive MIDI channels. The base channel controls voices 1-4 and the other channel controls voices 5-8.

1) So would I be able to have a 4-voice stereo Lead and a 4-voice stereo Pad sound playing at the same time on the '08 (that would be 8 voices total), with the lead outputting through stereo output 1 and the pad sound outputting through stereo output 2?

2) And be able to sequence lead on MIDI Channel 1 of an MPC and the pad on MIDI Channel 2 of the MPC?

3) And could I route the '08's outputs to my Mackie Onyx 1220i mixer like the following?:
08 Out 1 L -> Mixer mono ch 1 ;panned hard left
08 Out 1 R -> Mixer mono ch 2 ;panned hard right
('08 Stereo out 1 would be outputting L & R channels of 4-voice stereo Lead sound)
08 Out 2 L -> Mixer mono ch 3 ;panned hard left
08 Out 2 R -> Mixer mono ch 4 ;panned hard right
('08 Stereo out 2 would be outputting L & R channels of 4-voice stereo Pad sound)

Thanks so much for any help! Take care
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:52:41 PM by CeeHigh »

Jason

• Bandmix
Re: separate output routing with mixer & MPC 1000
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 07:40:31 AM »
I don't remember seeing this question before. I don't use the sequencer, nor the Multimode function that you mention. But based on what you said about Multimode, Question 2 should work. You should be able to find that definitive answer in the manual, which is available on the DSI website. I think the answer is also 'Yes' for Questions 1 and 3. I have (stereo) patches set up with monophonic leads in the right hand and four voice pads in the left.

I will say that the four voice stacked lead has sometimes been a disappointment to me. If you look around, you can find posts regarding a click/pop that sometimes occurs on the upper notes when stacking a monophonic sound. This is not always the case; it depends on the patch. But at times, the only way that I have been able to reduce the pop is to make the monophonic sound a single voice. So sometimes the best monophonic leads are made with a layer consisting of two similar single voice patches (which would then not allow for an additional split). But, I also have patches where I'm happy with the results of a pad in one hand and a monophonic lead in the other.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 09:42:08 AM »
2) And be able to sequence lead on MIDI Channel 1 of an MPC and the pad on MIDI Channel 2 of the MPC?

I'm having a problem with this and sequencing from my Digitakt. It's kind of a dilemma.
If I'm using multi mode, I end up with one channel each for voices 1-4 and 5-8, but I don't have access two my spilt patches. Layer A is just "copied" to layer B.

But if I stay in Split Mode with multimode turned off, I need to be supercareful which layer is in edit. If not, the cc's I'm sending for my bass patch will affect the pad patch and vice verca...

Does anybody have a solution to this?

PS: Sorry for my lousy formatting; new here and haven't figured out the correct way to quote etc. yet.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 01:03:16 AM »
Moinmon,

the MIDI multimode of P'08 is not very sophisticated or even powerful. Its restrictions and features are described in the user manual on page 11 and 12. It occupies the channel set on P'08 (call it "x") and the following one (x+1).
It should be possible to send CCs to different MIDI channels. So if You set the P'08 to channel x, You should be able to send CCs to channel x and channel (x+1), which will only affect one of the both MIDI channels.

HTH

Martin

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 01:45:11 PM »
Hey Martin, thanks for the reply.
Yes, I've tried sending cc's to separate channels (on mine they're 3 and 4). And that works.
My problem is that multimode deactivates split mode, which means that the two sounds/layers (whatever they're called) I'm trying to play with, sound similar (bc the first is copied to the second). At least that's how it ends up on my P08. And I frankly can't see the point of having two dedicated channels if you can't make two different patches on them, load them up and play them!

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 01:06:58 AM »
Moin sjcools,

You will have to live with that...
The P'08 seems to be designed as a live-keyboard, everything directly available at Your fingertips.
MIDI multimode however is very basically implemented and has exactly the restriction You describe: There are only 8 Voices in 2 layers, no way to extend that (except getting another P'08, maybe as "module" without keyboard)

Martin

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 07:24:10 AM »
Life goes on!
Hey, thanks anyway for the detailed support. Appreciate it.
Peace :)