What do the numbers after A and B in the globals menu mean?

What do the numbers after A and B in the globals menu mean?
« on: March 13, 2019, 04:37:40 AM »
Are these somehow related to the number of voices of the A and B layer? I have a very weird problem as they seem to change whenever I hit a midi note.  :(

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: What do the numbers after A and B in the globals menu mean?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 05:57:03 AM »
Are these somehow related to the number of voices of the A and B layer? I have a very weird problem as they seem to change whenever I hit a midi note.  :(

It tells you what voice-number is currently being triggered by you playing.... A and B have 8 voices hardwired to them, and you can see which is being triggered there.

They have to change, that is how polyphony works... when you trigger a key, it allocates one of those voices to that pitch... if you hit another key you would not want the same voice to change pitch, because if it did, it would not be able to "ring out"... thus it cycles thru all the voices as you press keys... only when it has reached full circle it will start over from the first voice again, "stealing it", but in most cases the voice has ringed out at that point in time, so you won't notice it unless you play fast, lots of keys and sounds with a very long AMP release time.

On earlier synths from DSI like the Prophet 08 or Prophet 12 for example, there were physical LEDs on the device that lit up instead when a voice was in use... the number in your globals after A and B are practically the same... REV2 just do not have any physical LEDs to show it (probably cost savings during design).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 06:03:27 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...