Odd sound from OSC1

Odd sound from OSC1
« on: March 11, 2019, 08:57:09 AM »
More possible newbie stuff here...

I’m finding that sometimes while editing a patch I’ll start getting weird behavior with OSC1, where it’ll produce a distorted sound every 8 notes. That feels like a potential hardware issue, but I’m not experiencing it always, and it doesn’t appear to be present on any presets, so that has me thinking I may be creating it somehow through sound tweaking.

That said, it happens only on OSC1, and I’ve tried manually adjusting every parameter back to default but it doesn’t go away when I do so. Creating a new init patch will eliminate the problem.

What gives? Some weird bug? (Running 1.1.5.9 but it happened on 1.1.5.6 also).

-Steve

Re: Odd sound from OSC1
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 10:28:57 AM »
More possible newbie stuff here...

I’m finding that sometimes while editing a patch I’ll start getting weird behavior with OSC1, where it’ll produce a distorted sound every 8 notes. That feels like a potential hardware issue, but I’m not experiencing it always, and it doesn’t appear to be present on any presets, so that has me thinking I may be creating it somehow through sound tweaking.

That said, it happens only on OSC1, and I’ve tried manually adjusting every parameter back to default but it doesn’t go away when I do so. Creating a new init patch will eliminate the problem.

What gives? Some weird bug? (Running 1.1.5.9 but it happened on 1.1.5.6 also).

-Steve

The fact that it's happening every 8 notes (you have an 8 voice, yes?) indicates that the problem is with a specific voice. Calibrating the oscillators might fix it. If you have already calibrated (oscillators and filters) and reset the globals and it still happens it might need servicing. Best to check in with Sequential tech support.

Re: Odd sound from OSC1
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 10:33:45 AM »
After some troubleshooting, I was able to isolate it to a certain set of oscillator configurations – essentially, any combo of sawtooth or triangle or saw+tri on osc 1 and 2 will produce the distortion, but pulse waves work fine, and it also goes away If OSC2 is off.  Spoke to Sweetwater tech-support and they’re going to swap it out for a new one.