New Rev2 owner with a question on mod matrix

New Rev2 owner with a question on mod matrix
« on: March 10, 2019, 04:11:43 PM »
Hey all -

Getting back into synths after a far-too-long hiatus. Had an Evolver once upon a time and loved it, so the Rev2 was a natural pick for me.

I'm getting familiar with it this weekend and am noticing something with the mod matrix: it seems that the modulation amounts are not the same as what one gets from modulating directly with an LFO.

(So, if I set, say, LFO1 to modulate cutoff and make the amount 127, I get different modulation from the LFO directly than if I instead set mod source 1 to be LFO1 with amount 127 and destination as cutoff instead. Curiously, the variance seems to be different per parameter. Pitch varies more in the mod matrix than with LFO, by what appears to be a factor of 2. Cutoff varies less by more than half)

My assumption was that they'd provide the same depth, so that you could essentially use a modulation slot to manipulate a second destination by the exact same amount as the LFO did (such as having OSC1 Shape modulated one way by LFO and OSC2 Shape modulated the other way by Mod slot). However, seems not to be the case?

Is this by design? A bug? (My unit was a demo unit, OS version is 1.1.5.6, FWIW) Not critical one way or another, but trying to learn the ins and outs of this box.

Thanks!

-Steve

maxter

Re: New Rev2 owner with a question on mod matrix
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 04:36:25 PM »
This is by design, as to enable wider modulations via the mod matrix, and finer modulations straight from the LFOs. If I recall, a mod matrix slot is 4x the amount of an LFO. So a value of 32 in the mod matrix is equal to the full/max LFO range.

Also worth noting is that some parameters cannot be utilized with full mod matrix range. Pan, as an example, is fully panned left or right at -32/+32 in the mod matrix, using DC as source for instance.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 04:43:19 PM by maxter »
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 11:22:56 PM »
As Maxter noted, it's a known response that there is a 4x differential between the MOD MATRIX LFO and the direct LFO assignment.

Under the sticky posts at the top of this Rev2 forum, called Appendix F, see CreativeSpiral's excellent documentation of LFO and other behaviors for the Rev2.
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 08:53:13 AM »
Thanks guys!