Blocked off my Oled screen to focus on using my ears for patching :D

Hey dudes. I'm not really advocating anyone try this or anything like that. I just wanted to share something I tried with my own setup that I have been enjoying.

I usually just make any sound I want to make from scratch from one of my 3 basic starter patches:

1- customized init patch with some slight misc param tweaks to my liking.
2- bass/lead version of init with 3 stacked OSC + key reset and a few other tweaks with pitch bend range etc.
3- a self OSC filter tuned and keytracked. I spend most of my time here in Sine Land tbh. Beautiful electric piano sounds to be had here, especially with audio out as a mod source on Cutoff Freq!

These are saved as the first 3 patches and its simple enough to switch to any of these without needing to read the screen on the Rev2 so I figured I'd block it for a while just to see how I get along without it. I have a label/sticker printer at home for my business so it was pretty trivial.

I have no plans on this being permanent, rather just a fun experiment that has encouraged me to use my ears more for patching rather than referencing numbers on the lil OLED.

Also hope you guys enjoy my tricked out knobs. They have really helped me fall in love with the panel. They feel better than stock to me and are easier to see!

The Rev2 was my first (and currently only) synth and I have a habit of customizing any of the gear that's made its way to "Keeper" in my setup.

I also have plans on building in a better patch selection via a 9 digit keypad into my rev2 via arduino and midi! I much much much prefer the simplicity of the P6's program and bank selection so I will be modeling it off that. I'll be back with some deets once I make some progress.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 03:38:37 PM by philroyjenkins »

Re: Blocked off my Oled screen to focus on using my ears for patching :D
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 05:33:26 PM »
I wouldn’t last long without access to the gated sequencer.  ;)

But sounds like it’s working out for you!

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 06:42:39 PM »

I haven't actually used that all that much. Do you use it actively for sequencing or more as an intermediary aid when setting up more complex modulations?

I also mostly use my rev2 within ableton and have the Code Knobs editor that I'd use if I wanted to program anything beyond simple note sequences.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 10:35:02 AM »

I haven't actually used that all that much. Do you use it actively for sequencing or more as an intermediary aid when setting up more complex modulations?

I also mostly use my rev2 within ableton and have the Code Knobs editor that I'd use if I wanted to program anything beyond simple note sequences.
Sometimes I use it for note sequencing but I use it a lot for modulation. It’s one of the most interesting thing about the Prophet/Evolver line.