Clipping issue

Clipping issue
« on: March 04, 2019, 08:24:59 AM »
Hello everyone!

There is an issue regarding my beloved REV 2 which just jumped straight at me today. When the MASTER VOLUME and the internal level is high enough, it just distorts the sound. This definitely was not the case before (I have audio files recorded at maximum volume which sound crystal clear). It is caused by the Prophet for sure, I checked all my other hardware in the signal chain. Is there any way to fix this? It kind of ruins it for recording right now.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Clipping issue
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 08:42:52 AM »
Hello everyone!

There is an issue regarding my beloved REV 2 which just jumped straight at me today. When the MASTER VOLUME and the internal level is high enough, it just distorts the sound. This definitely was not the case before (I have audio files recorded at maximum volume which sound crystal clear). It is caused by the Prophet for sure, I checked all my other hardware in the signal chain. Is there any way to fix this? It kind of ruins it for recording right now.

Thanks in advance.

What are you clipping? it sounds like you should just turn the inputs down on whatever you are running the Rev2 into.

If its the line in inputs of an interface that doesn't have a level adjustment for the inputs you will have to adjust it via the Rev2.

And by "not the case before" do you mean before the rev2? Or do you mean the Rev2 used to be fine but suddenly started clipping your setup?

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 01:35:58 PM »
I’ve made sure of it not being an issue regarding the input level. I intended to say that this behavior started all of a sudden.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 01:45:48 PM »
I’ve made sure of it not being an issue regarding the input level. I intended to say that this behavior started all of a sudden.

Ah so you hear clipping within the rev2 itself?

Have you ever plugged in an expression or sustain pedal? I did this one time and set it to volume and it somehow boosted the signal further than it ever had been before, even when I then unplugged the pedal.

A calibration fixed the issue. I'd start there.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 02:22:38 PM »

Ah so you hear clipping within the rev2 itself?

Have you ever plugged in an expression or sustain pedal? I did this one time and set it to volume and it somehow boosted the signal further than it ever had been before, even when I then unplugged the pedal.

A calibration fixed the issue. I'd start there.

Thank you for the input, this will probably come in handy later (haven’t used my expression pedal with the Prophet yet). I just noticed that the terminal of my interface didn’t display the input levels properly and that my sound system has some sort of mixer, which can be overdriven, upstream to its volume knob. I didn’t want to check with my headphones in order not to blow my ears off. After experimenting with an external attenuator, I’ve come to realize that the signal of the Prophet isn’t clipped at all. So my problem is solved. I‘m sorry to have bothered you, thank you for your valuable contribution to this community.