Stuck cant make anything out of the P8

Re: Stuck cant make anything out of the P8
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 08:41:55 PM »
i love that snare you made! really nice man.  :) Are those bell sounds connected to the spooky dissonant sound or are those two difference sounds? Bell chimes at the end of the track are sick
Actually snare sounds are a bit of a mystery to me. You need a good source sound. and a good reverb. You can't get a good snare sound without both (IMO). So the reverb I used helps getting that "sound" a lot. On the other hand, the source sound from the P08 has the ingredients for that reverb to really make it shine, such a strange world, that snare world.

The kick is pretty simple, just a filter envelope in 4-pole mode and pretty closed filter.

The bells and spooky sounds are different sounds. The bell-sound is the "FM Bell" I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Excellent programming, Inetzel.  Very impressive.
Thank you!

ok well I started out with a basic patch and messed around with a few knobs in the VCA section. From there I go to Osc 1 and 2 and the Low pass filter and mess with a few knobs there till i get an interesting sound but the issue now is I dont know where to go from here and after going through those three sections I still cant transform my basic sawtooth i had intially except for its evelope really.

I'm really interested in making not exactly like MOOG bass (i should just get a moog bass at that point) but basslines of that kinda style. I can achieve a nice synth basline but nothing too interesting like the p8 factory preset synth basses sound like. Could you throw out any tips on how to get more creative with that?

As far as LFO/Modulation section I would keep that to the last step.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:43:26 PM by varun213 »

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 07:27:29 AM »
I don't need bass sounds as much, but I can say that the Tetra has a lot of different basses (which do sound slightly better because of the sub-octave generator). One thing that has saved me a lot of time in learning programming and getting the sounds that I like is downloading other sounds for the '08. I found this to be much easier with the aid of a Tetra (which are getting pretty cheap on eBay)... but you can download straight to the Prophet too. Once you have several that you like, of course you can go back and do some reverse engineering.

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/prophet-08-factory-sounds/

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 08:35:01 AM »
... but the issue now is I dont know where to go from here and after going through those three sections I still cant transform my basic sawtooth i had intially except for its evelope really.

I'm really interested in making not exactly like MOOG bass (i should just get a moog bass at that point) but basslines of that kinda style. I can achieve a nice synth basline but nothing too interesting like the p8 factory preset synth basses sound like. Could you throw out any tips on how to get more creative with that?

As far as LFO/Modulation section I would keep that to the last step.

Never tried copying a moog sound. But if you want something more than a sawtooth with a bit of Envelope on the filter, which is what you seem to have figured out now (good boy!) you need to get deeper.

Idea 1: Try the unison button.., but protect your ears/speakers.

Idea 2: If you are using both OSCs, definately try tuning OSC1 done a bit on the fine tune and the OSC 2up a bit. That makes it more "fat". (I have never through the slop-value is enough for this)

Idea 3: You could set the OSCs to be a pulse width. Then set LFO 1 to be a triangle, pretty slow rate, and the destination to be one or both of the OSCs pulse width. That gives a sweeping sound of the tone but if you go to much it gets "thin". Play around. Using two LFOs, one for each osc, with different rates will be better probably. You will enter chip-tune-territory.

Idea 4: Use 4-pole filter with a bit of resonance (not to much) instead of the 2-pole. I have found to get most low end from eitehr using 2-pole with Resonance set to 0. OR 4-pole with a higher but not too high value. stay on the lower half. When you go high you get screamy/zappy sounds, away from anything bass:ish.

Idea 5: Add a tiny bit of noise.

Idea 6: Use an LFO with random shape and set the destination to the OSC FREQ, high rate and play around with the amount. It will add some dirtyness. Might only wanna do that on ONE of the OSCs though, if you do both you will probably lose some bass-characteristics and more into weird stuff.

Idea 7: Set one OSC to be a Square wave (Pulse width 50) and tune it down an octave to have it act as a sub osc (like Jason with the tetra mentioned). A better version of this is to make a sound you like on Layer A, then stack with Layer B and have Layer B be that "Sub OSC".

Now when you are more familiar with the prophet 08, reverse-engineer a preset-patch you like. Check what modulation and LFO destinations they have and remove them to see what happens.

Play around, have fun, if it doesn't turn out to be a moogy bass sound, so what. If it sounds cool it will be useful and you probably learnt something along the way :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 08:38:36 AM by lnetzel »
Prophet '08 owner since 2015

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 08:43:56 AM »
Strange Quark Starr made an awesome tutorial for the Prophet 08, not bass, but you will probably learn something, it's starts from Basic Patch as well.

Prophet '08 owner since 2015

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 08:56:25 AM »
I would suggest a book-ish approach as well.  Yes, experiment away, but also learn about the fundamentals of synthesis so that, in turning a parameter, you know what to expect.  Take the guessing out of designing sounds.  Here are two excellent books that will give you a good general knowledge of synthesis:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0240520726?keywords=Synthesizer&qid=1458143686&ref_=sr_1_9&s=books&sr=1-9

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Tools-Synthesizer-Programming-Reference/dp/0879307730/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1458143728&sr=1-30