Stuck cant make anything out of the P8

Stuck cant make anything out of the P8
« on: February 24, 2016, 06:21:34 PM »
I've been trying to learn the P8, even looked at a few videos from Starsky carr, but the only thing I can come up with is a Saw tooth bassline with a few tweaks to the soundshape. How can I get into the PAD or bell synth type sounds from the P8?

I really need help getting more out of this synth. I start with a blank program 128 and just try to tweak the shape as much as I can but I dont get much out of it musically. I think my approach to analog synthesis may be wrong.

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Stuck cant make anything out of the P8
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 07:14:44 PM »
A synthesizer is a very logical instrument.  The problem is, starting with factory presets and tweaking them a bit will not give you a systematic knowledge of synthesis.  Starting with that program 128 really is the right way to go.  I would suggest you carefully go through the manual and experiment with each parameter after you've learned its purpose.

For pads, first set the oscillators.  To keep it simple, use two sawtooths detuned from each other by 4-10 digits.  Then set the filter frequency to a darker timbre.  In the Amplifier (VCA), set the attack to about 60, the release to about 70, and the sustain to 127 (full).  Use an LFO to add some vibrato.  If you like, use a second LFO to slowly and slightly sweep the filter, possibly adding some resonance.  This would be the basics of a pad on any synthesizer, but the variations are nearly endless, according to your needs and wants. 

I don't know how experienced you are with synthesis, so please don't be offended by my very basic suggestions.  For certain, it takes time and effort to learn synthesis, but it's worth the effort.  Read and experiment - that's the recipe.

sylvain alias leo

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 08:04:28 PM »
Take the time to experiment. Tested various features. learn what each button does. There is no trick. You're not forced to start from scratch. you can start with a sound that looks like what you want and change it. Take your time. More you'll experiment more you'll master the P8.

Have fun

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 10:12:36 PM »
Take the time to experiment. Tested various features. learn what each button does. There is no trick. You're not forced to start from scratch. you can start with a sound that looks like what you want and change it. Take your time. More you'll experiment more you'll master the P8.

Have fun

thanks man, ill go with that. I am learning slowly day by day. So I definitely get what you're saying

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 10:17:19 PM »
A synthesizer is a very logical instrument.  The problem is, starting with factory presets and tweaking them a bit will not give you a systematic knowledge of synthesis.  Starting with that program 128 really is the right way to go.  I would suggest you carefully go through the manual and experiment with each parameter after you've learned its purpose.

For pads, first set the oscillators.  To keep it simple, use two sawtooths detuned from each other by 4-10 digits.  Then set the filter frequency to a darker timbre.  In the Amplifier (VCA), set the attack to about 60, the release to about 70, and the sustain to 127 (full).  Use an LFO to add some vibrato.  If you like, use a second LFO to slowly and slightly sweep the filter, possibly adding some resonance.  This would be the basics of a pad on any synthesizer, but the variations are nearly endless, according to your needs and wants. 

I don't know how experienced you are with synthesis, so please don't be offended by my very basic suggestions.  For certain, it takes time and effort to learn synthesis, but it's worth the effort.  Read and experiment - that's the recipe.

no offense take at all, I appreciate that basic description because I am a newb still lol. I think its mostly navigating through the controls and options and connecting them together.

99% of my synthesizer experience comes from Spectrasonics Omnisphere VST. There I usually starts with a Sine or Saw and add unison, FM, Wave shaper, filters, than add reverbs/flangers and all that. Follow it like a recipe almost because the user interface is easy to get into.

Now i am trying to expand to a hardware synth for the fist time and the P8 is just confusing right now, but ill keep chipping away at it.

thanks again.

sylvain alias leo

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 07:09:50 AM »
A component which is very important to master is the envelope of the amplitude and of the filter. the interaction between the two can be very interesting to be developed.

Obviously the blocks LFO is a big investment that can pay big dividends.

know the qualities of your synth . Knowing in which it excels
Give yourself a year. I understand that it may seem trivial. But it's really the best thing you have to do if you want to master your instrument.

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 11:54:58 PM »
If you are new to synthesis, you need to understand what all the different parts of a synthsizer does. OSC->Filter->VCA and then get further understanding for Envelopes and LFOs. The only way investing time and trial and error and you'll get there.

I made a Bell:ish sound when I was trying to get the P'08 to sound FM-style last fall. Unfortunately no luck with true FM but Audio Mod got me into the bells area at least. I found notes on a patch I made. It's not properly tuned but you get the idea I hope.

OSC 1: Triangle, C#5, -44 fine Freq
OSC 2: Triangle, G#4, 0 fine freq
OSC MIX: 127
Audio Mod: 127
LPF: 18
Resonance: 0 (in 4-pole keep it under 30, above that it starts to sound formant voicy stuff)

No other mods or LFOs involved really (although there might be destinations for them mapped)

I posted the sysex-file in the older forum:http://dsiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2920&p=64081&hilit=audio+mod#p64081

Hope it helps!
Prophet '08 owner since 2015

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 04:27:10 PM »
If you are new to synthesis, you need to understand what all the different parts of a synthsizer does. OSC->Filter->VCA and then get further understanding for Envelopes and LFOs. The only way investing time and trial and error and you'll get there.

I made a Bell:ish sound when I was trying to get the P'08 to sound FM-style last fall. Unfortunately no luck with true FM but Audio Mod got me into the bells area at least. I found notes on a patch I made. It's not properly tuned but you get the idea I hope.

OSC 1: Triangle, C#5, -44 fine Freq
OSC 2: Triangle, G#4, 0 fine freq
OSC MIX: 127
Audio Mod: 127
LPF: 18
Resonance: 0 (in 4-pole keep it under 30, above that it starts to sound formant voicy stuff)

No other mods or LFOs involved really (although there might be destinations for them mapped)

I posted the sysex-file in the older forum:http://dsiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2920&p=64081&hilit=audio+mod#p64081

Hope it helps!

thanks man, im going to try that out. I need to probably spend more time reading the manual.

have you ever used Omnisphere by Spectrasonics? its a Virtual synthesizer for DAW use, its pretty powerful and I got alot of my experience from synthesizing on that VST.

With the p08 I cant seem to get any of the knobs to respond to my Basic 128 patch?? I use the misc knobs to assign parameters or use the destination knob in the evelope but nothing ever happens lol. I would then go to the VCA section and try to increase the delay of the basic saw tooth but still the most I get is just subtle differences.

is the P8 known to have a learning curve compared to other synths? I'm probably just a newb still i guess. wish it was easy like OMNISPHERE is lol.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 04:56:25 PM »
Do you mean that when you turn the parameters absolutely nothing happens?

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 07:44:07 PM »
With the p08 I cant seem to get any of the knobs to respond to my Basic 128 patch?? I use the misc knobs to assign parameters or use the destination knob in the evelope but nothing ever happens lol. I would then go to the VCA section and try to increase the delay of the basic saw tooth but still the most I get is just subtle differences.

is the P8 known to have a learning curve compared to other synths? I'm probably just a newb still i guess. wish it was easy like OMNISPHERE is lol.

I, as Sacred Synthesis, am slighty confused if your P08 is broken or if you are just trying the wrong knobs.

Omnisphere is in a way similar when it comes to the main synthesism but also much more complicated and "complete" with more processing and advanced stuff like fm, ringmod and effects. I'd say the Prophet is easier when it comes to having direct knob access to traditional subtractive synthesism. I mean, its not very hard, 2 osc, a lowpass filter and a vca. Thats it. There are no effects, no fm, no ringmod.
Now, with that said... if you don't get what knob to turn to make a sound have a slower attack, or what you need to do to add a permanent slow vibrato to a noicier sound then you need to understand the basics of subtractive synthesism. I'm sure Omnisphere gives more direct gratification when you select a between very different samples wave shapes. So it's for sure different instruments.

If you are after drastic effects, the P08 will dissapoint you compared to Omnesphere, its just NOT a good allround EDM-synth with extreme effects.

That delay knob on the vca section, if you for example already have a slow attack, the delay will only appear to make it slower, not drastic change. Its not a"Delay FX" if you thought that. Its the time setting before the attack of the VCA envelope will start.

The P08 doesn't have hundreds of wave shapes, it has got triangle, saw and pulse width, thats it.

My suggestion:
1. While holding down the Program button, press the Yes-button. You will then get a basic saw patch.
2. Turn the Cut off filter knob to sweep the filter, that should make a difference to the sound, darker or brighter.
3. Then start changing the OSC 1 shape to explore those shapes, the pulse width will be the most "changing" sound while turning the knob. If you turn it all the way to the left it will turn Off and you have disabled the OSC1. Set it back to a Saw.
4. Try changing the attack and the realease of the envelope in the vca section. You should hear slower attacks and longer realeses.

If that works for you, then nothing is broken, knobs work. You have just operated the basic Osc-> Filter -> VCA without any modulation. Congrats!

If that works and you feel "meh, that's it?!" Then I don't know what to tell you. The Prophet 08 is not Omnisphere. Not even the Prophet 12 is Omnisphere. You will have to add distortion, flanger and other effects outside of the P08. Most likely in your DAW with software effect plugins.

Can the prophet sound different than that basic saw patch? Absolutely! Digging into the lfo, the modulation and sequenser section you will start to understand the depth of the Prophet 08. But you need to grasp subtractive synthesism before you understand what types of sounds it can do.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 07:49:24 PM by lnetzel »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 07:56:08 PM »
If you don't know your way around basic synthesis, then it would be possible to turn many knobs on the factory programs and hear no changes to the sound.  While holding a note, you could turn the Attack parameter all day long and notice no changes.  So it's hard to understand exactly what you're hearing.  Inetzel's 1 and 2 suggestions should clear things up.

I was wondering if the Global settings might be the problem, something like, "Local Control Off".  The Global settings can be returned to the factory settings by holding the Global button and at the same time pressing the LFO 3 button.  I would try that.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:58:18 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 08:30:29 PM »
Good thinking Sacred Synthesis!

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 10:36:21 PM »

I, as Sacred Synthesis, am slighty confused if your P08 is broken or if you are just trying the wrong knobs.

Omnisphere is in a way similar when it comes to the main synthesism but also much more complicated and "complete" with more processing and advanced stuff like fm, ringmod and effects. I'd say the Prophet is easier when it comes to having direct knob access to traditional subtractive synthesism. I mean, its not very hard, 2 osc, a lowpass filter and a vca. Thats it. There are no effects, no fm, no ringmod.
Now, with that said... if you don't get what knob to turn to make a sound have a slower attack, or what you need to do to add a permanent slow vibrato to a noicier sound then you need to understand the basics of subtractive synthesism. I'm sure Omnisphere gives more direct gratification when you select a between very different samples wave shapes. So it's for sure different instruments.

If you are after drastic effects, the P08 will dissapoint you compared to Omnesphere, its just NOT a good allround EDM-synth with extreme effects.

That delay knob on the vca section, if you for example already have a slow attack, the delay will only appear to make it slower, not drastic change. Its not a"Delay FX" if you thought that. Its the time setting before the attack of the VCA envelope will start.

The P08 doesn't have hundreds of wave shapes, it has got triangle, saw and pulse width, thats it.

My suggestion:
1. While holding down the Program button, press the Yes-button. You will then get a basic saw patch.
2. Turn the Cut off filter knob to sweep the filter, that should make a difference to the sound, darker or brighter.
3. Then start changing the OSC 1 shape to explore those shapes, the pulse width will be the most "changing" sound while turning the knob. If you turn it all the way to the left it will turn Off and you have disabled the OSC1. Set it back to a Saw.
4. Try changing the attack and the realease of the envelope in the vca section. You should hear slower attacks and longer realeses.

If that works for you, then nothing is broken, knobs work. You have just operated the basic Osc-> Filter -> VCA without any modulation. Congrats!

If that works and you feel "meh, that's it?!" Then I don't know what to tell you. The Prophet 08 is not Omnisphere. Not even the Prophet 12 is Omnisphere. You will have to add distortion, flanger and other effects outside of the P08. Most likely in your DAW with software effect plugins.

Can the prophet sound different than that basic saw patch? Absolutely! Digging into the lfo, the modulation and sequenser section you will start to understand the depth of the Prophet 08. But you need to grasp subtractive synthesism before you understand what types of sounds it can do.

Whenever I would choose basic patch it would be by scrolling with the knob till i got to patch 128 lol. By pressing global+yes gave it a rich basic sound that I already started playing with. I went to osc 1 and tweaked it a bit but definitely responsive! the VCA section was really responsive as well with the decay and release features. I'm already starting to experiment now. My only question now is that I still don't get is the

"Envelope 3" section what are its main functions compared to VCA? and how can I use that more?

I understand your explanation on how its not an omnisphere, but it always helps when somebody with experience can point out creative and powerful applications of a synthesizer. Could you give me some strong points that the p8 has? Is it known for any sound it can produce? (basslines, mid range synths or bells, leads?)
Or something else? I ask because I want to focus on the strong points the p8 has and over time get really into the core of it. I love the basic patch though! jeez its so nice lol

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 01:30:16 AM »
Envelope 3 does not have a set destination or purpose. It is there if you need a different envelope shape to control a destination of your choosing. For example, you could use it to fade in noise or filter resonance. While you are learning the Prophet'08 I would ignore Envelope 3. If you are figuring out how existing sounds are made then it might be worth looking at Envelope 3's destination, just to check if it is being used. 90% of the sounds I make do not use Envelope 3. :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 07:34:24 AM »
One of the most common uses for Envelope 3 is delayed vibrato.  Set the rate in one of the LFO (without adding any amount) and then set Envelope 3 to effect that LFO's amount.  By slowing down the Attack, the vibrato will gradually enter at the same speed.  Then, using the other parameters, you can cause the vibrato to fade away while you're holding a note, or have it stop immediately when you release a note, etc.

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 09:57:24 AM »
Don't worry about env3, there's a whole thread on that one in this forum when you are ready :)

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 10:45:45 AM »
As for the sounds the Prophet 08 can make; there's a very long thread with links to different pieces that people have made. Read that :)
But since you want a fast answer, I made a little synthpop multitrack demo where every single sound comes from the Prophet 08, even drums. https://soundcloud.com/lnetzel/dsi-prophet-08-multi-track-demo. BTW I was completely impressed by the snare I managed to get.

My thoughts on what the best thing to use the Prophet 08 for is probably in that track. Electronic music. But then you also have Sacred Synthesis in this forum who has mastered pads and strings to a ninja-level and use if for an organic synth take on classical music. It's just a very useful 8-voice machine.

The only thing it can't do well at all is Metallic FM-type of sounds. You can get okay bell-attack sounds but then the tracking is off and it's just hard to use it for more than that "spooky dissonant" stuff I show in my demo. I think it also lacks that distinct aggressive tone for synth-bass used in old school EBM (like DAF and Nitzer Ebb).

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 01:05:16 PM »
As for the sounds the Prophet 08 can make; there's a very long thread with links to different pieces that people have made. Read that :)
But since you want a fast answer, I made a little synthpop multitrack demo where every single sound comes from the Prophet 08, even drums. https://soundcloud.com/lnetzel/dsi-prophet-08-multi-track-demo. BTW I was completely impressed by the snare I managed to get.

My thoughts on what the best thing to use the Prophet 08 for is probably in that track. Electronic music. But then you also have Sacred Synthesis in this forum who has mastered pads and strings to a ninja-level and use if for an organic synth take on classical music. It's just a very useful 8-voice machine.

The only thing it can't do well at all is Metallic FM-type of sounds. You can get okay bell-attack sounds but then the tracking is off and it's just hard to use it for more than that "spooky dissonant" stuff I show in my demo. I think it also lacks that distinct aggressive tone for synth-bass used in old school EBM (like DAF and Nitzer Ebb).

i love that snare you made! really nice man.  :) Are those bell sounds connected to the spooky dissonant sound or are those two difference sounds? Bell chimes at the end of the track are sick

The kick is really sick too. I point these sounds out because I couldn't imagine how you would create those. I love all the sounds in that track though.

I will keep experimenting and wait til i get into the env 3 section then. Thanks for your guys help.

From here I can experiment and find my way to creating sounds now.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 06:33:09 PM »
Excellent programming, Inetzel.  Very impressive.

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 12:59:01 AM »
i love that snare you made! really nice man.  :) Are those bell sounds connected to the spooky dissonant sound or are those two difference sounds? Bell chimes at the end of the track are sick
Actually snare sounds are a bit of a mystery to me. You need a good source sound. and a good reverb. You can't get a good snare sound without both (IMO). So the reverb I used helps getting that "sound" a lot. On the other hand, the source sound from the P08 has the ingredients for that reverb to really make it shine, such a strange world, that snare world.

The kick is pretty simple, just a filter envelope in 4-pole mode and pretty closed filter.

The bells and spooky sounds are different sounds. The bell-sound is the "FM Bell" I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Excellent programming, Inetzel.  Very impressive.
Thank you!