New Drum Machine (Inspired by E-Mu SP 1200)

LoboLives

New Drum Machine (Inspired by E-Mu SP 1200)
« on: February 28, 2019, 09:34:10 AM »
I have my eye on this for sure. I hope it can sequence external midi gear on multiple channels and has song mode. Even still...I'm excited.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-sp-2400-sampler-is-not-a-behringer-clone-so-who-is-making-it?fbclid=IwAR0dp886dvzPlC_3pgVeW0UwnRUWbctmvWWpng0A3jb0WenOwh5dntUs3Vg

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
Re: New Drum Machine (Inspired by E-Mu SP 1200)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 05:37:19 PM »
I have my eye on this for sure. I hope it can sequence external midi gear on multiple channels and has song mode. Even still...I'm excited.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-sp-2400-sampler-is-not-a-behringer-clone-so-who-is-making-it?fbclid=IwAR0dp886dvzPlC_3pgVeW0UwnRUWbctmvWWpng0A3jb0WenOwh5dntUs3Vg

Yeah I saw this too, but am a little dubious as it's all renders and the video is the guy repeating himself over and over basically....maybe I'll be proven wrong but I'm not sure how he's heard something that he's only seen as renders so far?

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 07:45:32 PM »

Yeah I saw this too, but am a little dubious as it's all renders and the video is the guy repeating himself over and over basically....maybe I'll be proven wrong but I'm not sure how he's heard something that he's only seen as renders so far?

Apparently Ken Flux Pierce Fluxwithit has more information on the subject but is keeping things quiet until the creator wants things officially announced.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 08:17:04 PM by LoboLives »

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 08:57:31 PM »
BOOM!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 10:56:36 PM »
I feel the pictures still looks artificial... Shadows are not right... Or the pictures seem processed. It is not connected, but still have text on the display.

I do not doubt it is probably true, but personally I do not like the design... I hope there will be more text on it, cause right now it looks more like a box with faders and pads... Also it looks bigger than it really need to be, it is 2019 and surface mount technology is widely available.

I will wait and see what sampler Behringer comes up with before I choose anything with a sampler in it, that is for sure, and they will come up with something because their website menu system says "synthesizers and samplers" now...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

megamarkd

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 02:54:02 AM »
More info: http://fluxwithit.com/isla-instruments-is-behind-the-sp-2400/

I feel the pictures still looks artificial... Shadows are not right... Or the pictures seem processed. It is not connected, but still have text on the display.

I do not doubt it is probably true, but personally I do not like the design... I hope there will be more text on it, cause right now it looks more like a box with faders and pads... Also it looks bigger than it really need to be, it is 2019 and surface mount technology is widely available.

I will wait and see what sampler Behringer comes up with before I choose anything with a sampler in it, that is for sure, and they will come up with something because their website menu system says "synthesizers and samplers" now...

Info says they are still renders so you are correct concerning the picture.

I can't remember why I was put off the Kordbot when I first read about it last year, but there was some reason I was "pass" on it when I usually am very excited about cheap sequencers.  Maybe it was because I have something similar with the QY700, but I just can't remember.  I'm now thinking I'll probably think "But I have an E-MU sampler" when the full specs for the SP2400 are released.  As nice as 24bit sounds, I find 16bit sufficient fidelity for the sampling I do.

I am happy the SP2400 will become real soon though, the more hardware samplers the better. But it's also made me think I want another granular sampler which I do think the SP2400 will not be.  I'm stuck in that "gimme that 80's crudulicious sampling!" mind set it seems.  Which reminds me, I need to get that Tromsø analogue sample reduction modulate chewing up my bad horror samples again.  That thing rocks!

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 09:54:03 AM »
Well I’m getting this regardless. Love the design. Can’t wait to see what features it has.

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 07:43:53 PM »

LoboLives

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 11:46:26 PM »

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 05:33:58 PM »
Looks like there's another SP-1200 in the works:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1246125-im-building-sp-1200-clone-few-extra-features.html

That thread also features some audio examples and predates all the posts and rumors about the SP-2400.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 05:35:34 PM by Paul Dither »

LoboLives

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 07:42:58 PM »

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1246125-im-building-sp-1200-clone-few-extra-features.html

That thread also features some audio examples and predates all the posts and rumors about the SP-2400.

I guess it comes down to a race to the finish line

megamarkd

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 07:49:11 PM »

I listened to part of the hour-long interview and it did answer some questions I had, mainly why the lack of specs.

It'll be great if Low Hiss produces a 'for sale' clone, but not much info on that past the "I will contact Dave when I'm closer to a presentable product" comment.  GS always has me wanting to just close the page after too much noise fills the thread, but I filtered through and read all the OP's posts.  It sounds like an exciting project and different to what the SP2400 is aiming at being.  I love the idea of FLAC support.  Sample libraries can get stupidly big!

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 04:15:05 PM »
It'll be great if Low Hiss produces a 'for sale' clone, but not much info on that past the "I will contact Dave when I'm closer to a presentable product" comment.  GS always has me wanting to just close the page after too much noise fills the thread, but I filtered through and read all the OP's posts.  It sounds like an exciting project and different to what the SP2400 is aiming at being.  I love the idea of FLAC support.  Sample libraries can get stupidly big!

Low Hiss documented his progress quite extensively on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/low_hiss/

So far, he has definitely presented much more stuff and he seems to be moving ahead at a healthy pace.