What's your favorite sampler to pair with the Tempest?

What's your favorite sampler to pair with the Tempest?
« on: February 24, 2016, 03:55:32 PM »
So, for those of you who have teamed up a sampler with your Tempest, which one(s) have you found to be a nice fit?  What role does it play for you?  Midi-wise, how well do they play together?  Anything you *don't* like about how it integrates with your Tempest?  Asking for a friend.   8)

I'm using my Spectralis for the time being and I think it gives chopped up breaks a nice warm sound that is worthy of sitting next to a Tempest.  But I would really like something more portable sometimes.  I really wish the Volca Sample didn't require a separate midi channel for each sound, otherwise, I think it would be perfect.  Lately, I've been thinking that maybe a Yamaha A3000 might be a good idea.  It would be nice to have something with line in sampling and I always loved the effects on the SU-700 (which, I believe, are the same as on the A3000).

Re: What's your favorite sampler to pair with the Tempest?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 01:52:17 AM »
In a hardware option Octatrack is the king IMHO.If i had to go more compact i would buy an iPad load apps like Beatmaker 2,Korg Gadget,Garage Band etc. and take it from there.A good external sound card that can power the iPad is needed though for that task like Apogee's Duet for Mac/iPad or iConnectAUDIO4+.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 06:52:57 AM »
Definitely Octatrack. With its Fx, sequencing and resampling capabilitys they are a killer combo...

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 10:25:47 PM »
I am so close to just buying an Octatrack but it's such a big investment.  But the more I research, it seems like it would be perfect for me in many, many ways.  I've kind of been kicking around the idea of grabbing the new Electribe sampler as a cheap semi-alternative; mainly just something with effects that I can use to sample and sequence phrases and to chop breakbeats on.

But yeah, I suppose the OT kind of wins this sort of discussion before it even starts.  lol :)

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 09:05:57 PM »
I have no self control.  Just ordered an Octatrack after watching some of Cuckoo's tutorials on it.  I never realized that it gives you two effects *per track*.  And it will eliminate the need for me to have a mixer; two inputs, one for the Tempest and one for the Spectralis.  Up to four note midi sequencing so I can actually sequence the Tempest as a polysynth.  And so many other features, of course.

Yeah, I think this needed to happen.  Can't wait for it to get here!

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 11:18:46 PM »
Nice one.

The manual can be a little confusing for some people so it's best to start with the set of tutorial videos that  electron did: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8208D11E5F83FC25

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 03:02:59 AM »
Welcome aboard at the Elektron spaceship!You've got a long journey ahead of you...
I have no self control.  Just ordered an Octatrack after watching some of Cuckoo's tutorials on it.  I never realized that it gives you two effects *per track*.  And it will eliminate the need for me to have a mixer; two inputs, one for the Tempest and one for the Spectralis.  Up to four note midi sequencing so I can actually sequence the Tempest as a polysynth.  And so many other features, of course.

Yeah, I think this needed to happen.  Can't wait for it to get here!

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 11:44:33 AM »
Well, I used to own Rytm, so I'm part of the way there already, even though I've always heard that the AR is the easiest Elektron machine to get into.  And Cuckoo's tutorials make the OT look nice and easy.  But I will definitely check out those vids from Elektron as well, thank you.  I like a challenge and I love deep machines, so I'm actually looking forward to a long learning process, believe it or not.  :)

I'm pretty psyched.  If this goes well, I can get rid of my big clunky MV-8800 and actually have a nice portable rig.  It's funny, when I made this thread, I wasn't even actually looking to buy anything new, was mostly just curious about what other people are using to add a little breakbeat flavor beside the Tempest.  But reading two such strong endorsements of the OT let me to Youtube and here we go.  lol
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:46:42 AM by hardwarecore »

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 12:00:03 AM »
WOW.  Yep, best sampler ever.  It's really mindblowing, the amount of functionality they crammed into this little black box.  Definitely worthy of sitting next to the Tempest.

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 09:20:49 PM »
no one uses the tempest with an MPC? i liked using mine with my old 2500. never tried an octatrack though - im a little scared of the workflow, I hear it can be a lot to learn and a lot of menu diving/button combos and stuff. i am willing to learn a new machine, but im also already so used to the mpc workflow, its hard for me to make that investment and give it a try.

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 08:09:11 AM »
i agree with everybody else, Octatrack pairs really well with it, actually with anything :)

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 12:20:09 PM »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:22:15 PM by blueaphex »

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 10:27:45 AM »
I'm old school.I use my tempest with my launch day purchased aka s-950. I use a beatstep pro to trigger and loop the samples and the tempest syncs that, my Jupiter 80, my Juno 60 and oberheim ob6. Recorded to a Fostex d2424lv and mastered to dat.

EDIT: I used to have an mpc2000xl studio. Sold it and a vp-9000 to get the tempest.

AJCT

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 02:01:42 AM »
Oh yes. The Octatrack without a doubt. They make a formidable pair!

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 10:40:43 AM »
OT all the way. Toraiz is on my radar...but remember that the MIDI spec isn't implemented or revealed yet. Since it is DJ related you may find that it is limiting for production workflow. The OT learning curve it a bit high (even for myself) but once you have a couple of piece of gear to chain into it then it really shines as a performance hub. The key was to find a kick A** drum machine which the Tempest filled in nicely:) I didn't like programing midi patterns on the OT for many reasons...besides it opened up my channel count on the OT so that I can program the Virus TI2. Forget The Dark Trinity... This is The Holy Trinity!!
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 12:10:20 PM »
I have the exactly same setup with only exception i have the VirusTI version 1!
OT all the way. Toraiz is on my radar...but remember that the MIDI spec isn't implemented or revealed yet. Since it is DJ related you may find that it is limiting for production workflow. The OT learning curve it a bit high (even for myself) but once you have a couple of piece of gear to chain into it then it really shines as a performance hub. The key was to find a kick A** drum machine which the Tempest filled in nicely:) I didn't like programing midi patterns on the OT for many reasons...besides it opened up my channel count on the OT so that I can program the Virus TI2. Forget The Dark Trinity... This is The Holy Trinity!!