Tempest Sound Design & Patch Exchange

RobH

Re: Tempest Sound Design & Patch Exchange
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 03:15:31 AM »
Heres a bass I made thats kind of got a nice house feel!

Give it a little distortion around the 1/4 turn (9oclock) area and set a LP filter on a slider for some really great live tweaks!!

Let me know what you think!

RobH

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2017, 07:05:50 PM »
Ok so after a year of having the Tempest and getting to know it pretty well I have one great tip that i use ALL the time to liven up, well, nearly all my drums especially hats and things that are played on 16ths and 8ths, it may be obvious but here it is!!!

sync one of the LFO's and set to note, and then assign the random lfo and clock it to quaters , 8ths, 16ths or 32ths depending on the sounds and its frequency usualy 8th or 16ths sounds best,

assign it to  the pitch or vca level or anything really but pitch is really good for humanisation, then slowly start to dial in the amount usually a pretty low amount of between like 5 to 30 will give you a really convincing groove to the sound.

This works on pretty much any drum sound but like i said, hats, snares and other frequent drums get a added awesomeness, tbh its one of my favourite things about the Tempest a really subtle but simple thing that i've not come across on other drum machines i've personally owned that works as well as this.

edit - and because you get 2 lfos you can make one do pitch and one volume and booom you got yourself a live drummer!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 07:10:26 PM by RobH »

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2017, 05:42:28 PM »
Very useful! Thanks!

I'm trying to make a Tempest sounds online library. Started a topic here - http://dsiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7389
If anyone interested please let me know.

Please post those sysex somewhere else-DSI forum hasnt worked in . like forever -PLEASE

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2017, 11:16:30 PM »
This is the thread where someone can upload any patches that they want to share..And as always at the bottom of the 1st post here you can find the Various Tempest Patches which is a collection of all the Patches posted on the old forum ;)
Please post those sysex somewhere else-DSI forum hasnt worked in . like forever -PLEASE

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2017, 12:12:23 AM »
Hi guys, when im designing sometimes i get a clip/click at the start of my sound even if i adjust the attack it remains, im sure i read a tip of how to remove this (although i know its kind of desirable also) I'd like some really clean sounds without it if possible trying to emulate simmons style!

Is there a pro tip for this or is it just Tempest character??

Sometimes (particularly when dealing with bass-heavy sounds that are assigned to a single voice) this is not due to the attack of the new sound but the old sound getting cut dead whilst the waveform of the previous note is too high in amplitude (not at a zero crossing).

The solution in this case is to adjust the release of the sound so that the old note dies out before the new one kicks in. It's common to all synths I've used, laws of physics!
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2017, 08:00:08 AM »
Interesting point. Wave reset can also helps. Sometimes I also find that adjusting the filter envelope attack plus lowering the amount smooths out the click.

I find myself designing sounds unique to each project. For me the most common sounds tend to be the BD and Clap thanks to Yorgos and AdamX. I use sample sounds for HH. Using AdamX and Yorgos tutorials/sounds I created some stock variations but It seems easier to create a bass/lead patch that blends better with the common sounds than trying to adjust existing patches. It helps in creating a fresh beat with a signature vibe each time and doesnt take long to do.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

RobH

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2017, 08:39:27 AM »
Interesting point. Wave reset can also helps. Sometimes I also find that adjusting the filter envelope attack plus lowering the amount smooths out the click.

I find myself designing sounds unique to each project. For me the most common sounds tend to be the BD and Clap thanks to Yorgos and AdamX. I use sample sounds for HH. Using AdamX and Yorgos tutorials/sounds I created some stock variations but It seems easier to create a bass/lead patch that blends better with the common sounds than trying to adjust existing patches. It helps in creating a fresh beat with a signature vibe each time and doesnt take long to do.

Yes since originally writing that about click i find that slight attacks on the envelopes usually takes any click away and wave reset helps a little also.

I agree with lucid, i find myself using the samples more and more with the Tempest especially for hats although i do have some really nice noise based hats also, and BD usually I use the analog method then throw a sample or two underneath just to add some texture, claps is usually a hybrid too. Its nice to make some analog only sounds but i have to admit the Tempest sounds at its best when your using all available options with no prejudice as to whether its a sample or analog oscillator.

I've had the Tempest long enough now that sometimes i do desire some other drum sounds, but tbh its only really a carbon copy of an 909 hat and a more beefy kick drum i desire, otherwise the Tempest manages most flavours with relative ease especially when you start to layer sounds in the or whatever.

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2017, 07:02:53 AM »
Hi all, I was going over the Bass Drum tips to see if there was anything I hadn't figured out yet, and I'm running into something which I can't understand why it's happening.  I'm following the instructions for the 909 type kick, and after setting up the first 2 or 3 steps I get the initial kick sound, but every 4th time I hit the pad the sound turns into more of a triangle synth/oscillator sound rather than the kick.  It happens consistently pretty much every 4th hit.  I've checked all other parameters and the mod matrix to make sure everything else is neutral or zeroed out.  Any ideas on why this may be happening? 

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2017, 06:04:15 PM »
Ok I figured out how to eliminate this.  I had to assign the kick drum pad to its own voice. 

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2017, 12:35:47 AM »
I was about to send you to read this thread: http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,78.0.html
Everything you need to know it's there ;)
Ok I figured out how to eliminate this.  I had to assign the kick drum pad to its own voice.

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2017, 03:28:42 AM »
Thanks, Yorgos. I had read that, but I'm still not exactly sure if I understand why it does that, especially since the kick was the only pad I was playing and there were no other voices to interfere with it.  Does it have something to do with the triggering of the envelope?   

RobH

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2017, 04:34:59 AM »
Thanks, Yorgos. I had read that, but I'm still not exactly sure if I understand why it does that, especially since the kick was the only pad I was playing and there were no other voices to interfere with it.  Does it have something to do with the triggering of the envelope?

Do you have it in AD or ADSR mode?

If its in ADSR the length of time you hold down the pad will influence the length of the kick, in AD mode the decay will be the same each hit. Also if you have any kicks programmed into the event (sequence) and you play over the top and its not assigned a voice it will play twice, this might be probable as teh soilution to this is to choke the pad with its own pad, it sounds like flam really if this is happening.

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2017, 05:07:31 AM »
In the future if you're having problems with your Tempest please create a new post.This is a place where we share ideas & patches.If you read well the post i've sent you it explains pretty well how T's voices work.That behavior you've experienced was because of your T's voice architecture.You had a cable plugged into an individual  voice without assigning a sound to it..
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 05:19:20 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2017, 06:10:20 PM »
Oh ok, Sorry, Yorgos.  I didn't actually, but thanks.  I only had a cable in the left side of the stereo main outs.  So still not sure why. 

Thanks for the info, RobH

RobH

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2017, 08:04:41 AM »
Oh ok, Sorry, Yorgos.  I didn't actually, but thanks.  I only had a cable in the left side of the stereo main outs.  So still not sure why. 

Thanks for the info, RobH

No probs

Pidcin

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2017, 01:09:24 PM »
Hey, would anyone be interested in designing two sets of drums for me?

I was hoping, and is a long stretch that you are willing to make a video tutorial of how you designed the sounds , and to also send me the patch so I can reverse engineer it and learn from it.

Because it's a pretty specific request , I am willing to financially compensate via email money transfer to anyone willing to take on the challenge , granted they feel confident they can get in the ball park of the drum sounds for the two songs

Also, a special request if they can emulate the bass sound for the synth portion of the first song .

The songs are

Drake - no tellin
Deadmau5 - professional griefers

Feel free to inbox me, I can give you my cell number or email address if you prefer to communicate outside the forum

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2017, 09:47:19 AM »
Yorgos, or anyone from the old DSI phpBB forum,

The patch collection .zip links are broken these days to the ##Tempest Sound Design Competition pack## from 4 years ago.

Does anyone have either of these .syx zips they would repost?

Same sounds in each zip, but the first is carefully split in to multiple .syx files by sound category.

tsdc_final_categories.zip or TSDC_Final_ALL_414.syx

originally posted on here in Aug. 2013.
http://dsiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4657

cheers,
:j
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:00:43 AM by abstrx »

RobH

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2017, 04:36:34 PM »
Yorgos, or anyone from the old DSI phpBB forum,

The patch collection .zip links are broken these days to the ##Tempest Sound Design Competition pack## from 4 years ago.

Does anyone have either of these .syx zips they would repost?

Same sounds in each zip, but the first is carefully split in to multiple .syx files by sound category.

tsdc_final_categories.zip or TSDC_Final_ALL_414.syx

originally posted on here in Aug. 2013.
http://dsiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4657

cheers,

They are posted in the opening post of this thread at the bottom of the post. Yorgoz makes sure they are always still available.

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
Rob, thanks for the reply. The Various Tempest Patches sets are killer. I didn't see the sound design comp banks in there though. Do you know if they were retitled?

I was finally able to load the old DSIforum page and download those banks. Attaching here in case anyone else has issues loading in the future.

« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2017, 05:59:50 PM »
Rob, thanks for the reply. The Various Tempest Patches sets are killer. I didn't see the sound design comp banks in there though. Do you know if they were retitled?

I was finally able to load the old DSIforum page and download those banks. Attaching here in case anyone else has issues loading in the future.

adding zip file