Tempest Sound Design & Patch Exchange

Re: Tempest Sound Design & Patch Exchange
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2017, 10:05:54 PM »
I've done a few 'Jazz' searches without much luck. I'm quite new to the Tempest. But I'm making progress with redesigning, or individualising presets. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any Jazz drum sysex, available for download? So far I've been experimenting with standard house drum sounds. Jazz I think will be a little more difficult. Although I've heard this guy's work was created from modified DSi sounds: https://soundcloud.com/wo-roughtests/juzzbeat1-4
I find the DSi patches uninspiring, as with my Prophet 06. But when you get under the hood you can make done incredible sounds that show off the DSi prowess! Having a set of Jazz drum sounds would be great if anyone has any. Thanks.  8)

Of the factory projects available, there are two or three that contain some pretty good renditions of acoustic drum-sets.  Go to the Tempest page on the Dave Smith Instruments site and download "Tight Kit", "Straight Kit", and "Funk Kit" from the 'Sounds' page (if you haven't already tried them).  One or all of those might make for a good place to start.

https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/tempest/

Cheers!

maNŒuvre

• That which cannot be put into words...
    • Music
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 06:42:09 AM »
Thanks a lot John. That should be a good starting point!
'Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent.' Victor Hugo

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 11:14:12 PM »
Hi,

I downloaded the 'Various Tempest Patches.zip' file but the transfer of these sysex sounds doesn't appear to work with OS 1.4. I'm new to the Tempest and might miss something.  :(

Currently using MIDI-OX under PC with USB cable and managed to load the new factory sounds without any problem.

The Tempest screen stays blocked on "Receiving sound file" and once the transfer is finished in MIDI-OX, the Tempest screens remains with the same message and no key does respond. So, I have to switch off my Tempest.

Any idea how I could get these transferred to the Tempest under OS 1.4 ?

By the way, thanks for your contribution.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:24:52 PM by adsrchris »

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 01:52:37 AM »
For sysex transfers use Elektron's C6 sysex utility
Hi,

I downloaded the 'Various Tempest Patches.zip' file but the transfer of these sysex sounds doesn't appear to work with OS 1.4. I'm new to the Tempest and might miss something.  :(

Currently using MIDI-OX under PC with USB cable and managed to load the new factory sounds without any problem.

The Tempest screen stays blocked on "Receiving sound file" and once the transfer is finished in MIDI-OX, the Tempest screens remains with the same message and no key does respond. So, I have to switch off my Tempest.

Any idea how I could get these transferred to the Tempest under OS 1.4 ?

By the way, thanks for your contribution.

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 02:10:06 AM »

Thanks for your feedback.

Looks like it's not a MIDI-OX problem as the new sound files did transfer correctly.

Maybe I miss something in the settings of the Tempest or MIDI-OX for this transfer. Should the Tempest be in a certain mode before receiving files from previous OS versions ?

If someone can help, it would be great.

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 02:17:28 AM »
My guess is you're running out of space..

Thanks for your feedback.

Looks like it's not a MIDI-OX problem as the new sound files did transfer correctly.

Maybe I miss something in the settings of the Tempest or MIDI-OX for this transfer. Should the Tempest be in a certain mode before receiving files from previous OS versions ?

If someone can help, it would be great.

idm

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 02:20:03 AM »
Volume trickery:

Since osc 1&2 use a mix knob, rather than a dedicated volume knob, workarounds are needed. Using only 1 of the 2 analog oscs is a well known option, but you lose one osc. I came up with another solution, it's not useful for every sound, but it is useful :)

- when using a pulse wave on osc 2 (so you can use osc one for fm), @ 0% there is no sound. So there ya go... Set it at 0%
- Now use an Aux envelope to set the pulse wave above 0% by increasing decay and amount.
- also use the mod matrix to modulate the decay of the Aux with the Aux itself. You can create punchy clicks this way for your resonant noise based hihats and rides without losing the noise tail by needing the amp env, and being able to use both digital oscs.

To use the pulse width method like an on/off switch use one of the LFO's via mod paths:
- set pulse wave above 0%, 50% for instance.
- in mod paths set LFO 1 to control pulse width of osc 2 by a negative amount, -127 for instance
- Set the LFO to square and a rate slow enough so it doesn't start a new cycle.

Not exactly a volume knob, but at least an extra on/off switch method ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 02:22:51 AM by idm »

RobH

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 03:21:09 PM »
Hi guys, when im designing sometimes i get a clip/click at the start of my sound even if i adjust the attack it remains, im sure i read a tip of how to remove this (although i know its kind of desirable also) I'd like some really clean sounds without it if possible trying to emulate simmons style!

Is there a pro tip for this or is it just Tempest character??

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 04:33:51 PM »
Check my tips on inconsistency on the tips & tricks thread: http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php?topic=78.0

This is one of the many reasons i highlighted that thread...
Hi guys, when im designing sometimes i get a clip/click at the start of my sound even if i adjust the attack it remains, im sure i read a tip of how to remove this (although i know its kind of desirable also) I'd like some really clean sounds without it if possible trying to emulate simmons style!

Is there a pro tip for this or is it just Tempest character??

RobH

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 05:51:39 PM »
Thanks Yorgos, I knew i had read some tips on this but i thought i'd read them in the manual so went through that, appreciated mate!

RobH

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2017, 01:34:31 PM »
What is everyones absolute favourite sound design feature they love the most about the Tempest??

Mines using velocity to change the amp+filter envelope amounts via the mod screen! It gives some of the best sounding snare rolls i ever created!!! (thanks to Stims guide for that one!!). What are other peoples fav feature???

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2017, 05:58:47 PM »
What is everyones absolute favourite sound design feature they love the most about the Tempest??

Not sure this qualifies as sound design, more like limits pushing. I really enjoy using the FX1-4 slots to squeeze more than should be possible out of one voice.

For example, put a snare on oscillator 3, a hi-hat on oscillator 4, and use oscillator 1's triangle wave to make a kick with envelope > osc 1 pitch. Then set the osc levels to 0 and use FX1-3 on the sequencer to control the level of the oscillators to "trigger" each sound, allowing for a beat on one voice and the rest free for synth duties.

Only problem is it's fairly easy to hit the 8 event per step limit doing this.

I'd have fun doing a "one voice challenge" kind of like Elektron's Science Lab...... If you could modulate the oscillator 3/4 waveforms, it would be even more fun!

RobH

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2017, 06:42:18 PM »

Not sure this qualifies as sound design, more like limits pushing. I really enjoy using the FX1-4 slots to squeeze more than should be possible out of one voice.

For example, put a snare on oscillator 3, a hi-hat on oscillator 4, and use oscillator 1's triangle wave to make a kick with envelope > osc 1 pitch. Then set the osc levels to 0 and use FX1-3 on the sequencer to control the level of the oscillators to "trigger" each sound, allowing for a beat on one voice and the rest free for synth duties.

Only problem is it's fairly easy to hit the 8 event per step limit doing this.

I'd have fun doing a "one voice challenge" kind of like Elektron's Science Lab...... If you could modulate the oscillator 3/4 waveforms, it would be even more fun!

Doesn't modulating the pulsewidth count? You can modulate that at least for some waveform variation! I'll defo have to give this a try tommorow lol getting the most out of one voice like that is a hella neat idea tbh!!! Nice one!!!

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »
Something I've been doing a lot is using the Mod Matrix to extend the range of controls.  For example, if you set your LPF key tracking to 65 and turn the cutoff knob all the way down it only goes so low frequency-wise.  You can use an Aux Envelope with a long peak time (for short drum sounds) or an ADSR with 0 attack/decay and full sustain, route that to the LP Filter Cutoff, and you can lower the filter frequency even further.

I also use this trick to push the digital oscillators past the -24/+24 limit, and fine-tune the filter frequency when creating self resonating kicks.  To do that I need to be in ADSR mode, then assign the Aux Env to LP Filter Cutoff with an amount of 1 or 2.  The Sustain of the ADSR then acts as a fine-tuner.

RobH

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2017, 09:52:26 AM »
Something I've been doing a lot is using the Mod Matrix to extend the range of controls.  For example, if you set your LPF key tracking to 65 and turn the cutoff knob all the way down it only goes so low frequency-wise.  You can use an Aux Envelope with a long peak time (for short drum sounds) or an ADSR with 0 attack/decay and full sustain, route that to the LP Filter Cutoff, and you can lower the filter frequency even further.

I also use this trick to push the digital oscillators past the -24/+24 limit, and fine-tune the filter frequency when creating self resonating kicks.  To do that I need to be in ADSR mode, then assign the Aux Env to LP Filter Cutoff with an amount of 1 or 2.  The Sustain of the ADSR then acts as a fine-tuner.

Wow that sounds awesome man, i'd love to hear or even play some of these resonant kicks man, i have a soundpatch called Tiegkick that is so well done i think its my favourite kick, i didn't make it i got it from the sound syx files on page 1 of this thread, whoever made that is a flubin genius tho its got some serious bite hahah!

Drop some examples man i'd love to hear!!

dslsynth

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2017, 10:32:02 AM »
Pym wrote a handful of sound design tips on the old forum. Maybe its about time to copy them over if they are not already posted here?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2017, 10:39:39 AM »
I took care of that already in the first post ;)
Pym wrote a handful of sound design tips on the old forum. Maybe its about time to copy them over if they are not already posted here?

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »

Wow that sounds awesome man, i'd love to hear or even play some of these resonant kicks man, i have a soundpatch called Tiegkick that is so well done i think its my favourite kick, i didn't make it i got it from the sound syx files on page 1 of this thread, whoever made that is a flubin genius tho its got some serious bite hahah!

Drop some examples man i'd love to hear!!

Maybe eventually? I've had the Tempest for a week so I've just been making my own presets and exploring the sound design possibilities, once I get enough sounds I like I'll probably upload them.  I'm working on some video tutorials on how to emulate an 808 kick/snare that I hope to get out soon though.

RobH

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2017, 03:09:09 PM »
Hi guys, I've been really getting deeper into the sound design of the Tempest, i never had a synth quite like this before, so its been a learning curve and still is, but today I made a snare sound i'm really quite proud of!!!

I'll share it with you guys, let me know what you think!!!

RobH

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »
I'm getting some really nice interesting FM sounds that are self oscillating and rise by themself by using varying amounts of highpass and feedback. I'm getting some amazing sci-fi sounds like a UFO taking off.

The filter rises over time but i'm not sure exactly why it does this on its own?

So the patch at the moment is like this-

OS1 PUL 91%
OSC2 OFF
0/100

LP 71
RES 64
AUDIO MOD 61

HP 17

Feedback
Vol 127
FB 95

Put into ADSR and crank the AMP release up to max to hear the effect then start to tweak for some crazy tones!!!!

Try C0 and C1 espescially for those pyscdellic tripped out space sounds!!!

Try the same OSC settings and

LP 92
RES 88
AUDIO MOD 61
HP 33

FVOL 127
FB 109

and C1 for a great UFO takeoff!!!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:05:43 PM by RobH »